Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 AM
spacejunk
vision, come on...

U2 - No Line on the Horizon
I'm surprised. Is no-one willing to say this is quite good? I reckon it's much better than expected. Totally makes up for a previous decade of shite and stands on its own.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: U2 - No Line on the Horizon
is it leaked yet?

or has the album already (officially) come out?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
is it leaked yet?

or has the album already (officially) come out?
Its streaming on Myspace
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Flywaver
vision

Its taking me a few listens to get into this..... Slow Burner i say
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

No sir, I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Jafs
Tells

0 risk taking, but very effective. Probably their best since the early 90's.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Ill be interested to see who helped produce each song...i was listening to Get on your boots...and ok, its no masterpiece... its another mindless vertigo type song... but if you can block out Bono's voice and listen to the Drums...and the Edges flicking on the guitar... its fairly impressive...

the sound quality is nearly too perfect..there is no grit and the guitars and bass a really suppressed...nearly too compressed, especially when it should be louder, like edges high notes over some of the choruses....

I think the middle eight is fantastic and saves the song because i will listen to the song just to get to that bit...brilliant drums....but yet again the instruments are buried too much...

What has hurt this song the most is the Producing...Eno? Lanois? Lillywhite? does anyone know yet who produced this song in particular?? I think it could really have benefited from a bit of grit and home style recording....

In terms of the album...going by this song.. (because i cant see any live streams of the full albm on myspace) . ... i think the producer is going to make or break the songs it.

although some say not to judge it by the first release... either way were all going to buy it anyway just to see...so they are still gonna sell a billion records!

and any way you look at it.. most new bands out there today are still unable to make a record like U2 even this as some people would call it below par effort.

The fact is the Edge is a real guitar genius and bono has a persona to truly pull off most styles of music... you may not like U2 but that does not make their music shit...

..im holding my judgement till i hear it...but anything like "All that you cant Leave Behind" and i willbe fairly happy
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

haha, god no
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Flywaver
vision

Right i am still going through the album over and over and i think its better than anything since Achtung Baby and maybe it really is up there as there finest! I love the Edge's Dirty Guitar work (Excuse pun on here) But there is plenty of it on NLOTH. The first track even reminds me of The Fly (best Edge solo ever!)
At the moment I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is my favourite with its curious Abba intro...
Good to see alot of Brian Eno in this and its written all over Fez.
There is a mini album or album out end of the year (rumour has it) not surprised with lots of material written.
Also not surprised that Underworld have crossed paths with 33 years since U2 and there many phases for each band!
Would love to see an Underworld mix of say Magnificent to return favour for Boy,Boy,Boy....
Get On Your Boots....Underworld....

Last edited by Flywaver; 02-27-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 PM
sanblaster
Niet een Engelsman

I'm half through the 3rd listen of the whole album and you can definitely tell Eno has been involved, which can be nothing but good....

I am a very hardcore fan of U2, and this album put me in an awkward place when I knew it was going to be released. Some people has the problem of unconsciously dislike U2 because the consciously dislike Bono, and I have just the opposite problem. I like the guy so much that I get really nervous at the prospect of a big fuck up in their new releases. I learnt to like ATYCLB and HTDAAB as a whole when truth was I only liked a 30% or 40% of them.

I need more time and see how their live act develops (it's where they really belong) to have a more solid opinion, but I'm liking what I'm listening at the moment, a lot. Unknown Caller (silly computer metaphors aside) sounds so solemn, majestic and impressive, like their late 80's material, that I couldn't help shaking my head and grinning in a "they are still able to do it" way. Moment of Surrender sounds a lot like the stuff they made with Eno on the Passengers era, Your Blue Room, etc.... They can't be wrong going this direction either.

I agree about how the clean and suffocated guitar and bass flaws Get on Your Boots. Not good enough to be a proper U2 Stadium Anthem (tm) anyway.

All in all, I am really really REALLY looking forward to their live show. If I'm able to get tickets, that is.
Pass me the ventolin I need some more
We have ways of making you think
They told me over a drink

Last edited by sanblaster; 03-02-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: I DON'T KNWO HOW TO WRTIE