Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Russian Analyst Predicts Decline And Breakup Of USA
I just found this article interesting.

RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA
Tue Nov 25 2008 09:04:22 ET

A leading Russian political analyst has said the economic turmoil in the United States has confirmed his long-held view that the country is heading for collapse, and will divide into separate parts.

Professor Igor Panarin said in an interview with the respected daily IZVESTIA published on Monday: "The dollar is not secured by anything. The country's foreign debt has grown like an avalanche, even though in the early 1980s there was no debt. By 1998, when I first made my prediction, it had exceeded $2 trillion. Now it is more than 11 trillion. This is a pyramid that can only collapse."

The paper said Panarin's dire predictions for the U.S. economy, initially made at an international conference in Australia 10 years ago at a time when the economy appeared strong, have been given more credence by this year's events.

When asked when the U.S. economy would collapse, Panarin said: "It is already collapsing. Due to the financial crisis, three of the largest and oldest five banks on Wall Street have already ceased to exist, and two are barely surviving. Their losses are the biggest in history. Now what we will see is a change in the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will no longer be the world's financial regulator."

When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."

Asked why he expected the U.S. to break up into separate parts, he said: "A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

He also cited the "vulnerable political setup", "lack of unified national laws", and "divisions among the elite, which have become clear in these crisis conditions."

He predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.

He even suggested that "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all." Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on information warfare.

Developing...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: Russian Analyst Predicts Decline And Breakup Of USA
a few impressions.

1. "breaking up [america] into parts" and "whole cities that are unemployed" is the kind of settling earth that comes from a post-stalin power vaccuum, and it may suprise the doctor to realize we're in a different situation.
2. Large populations of Native Americans? There aren't even large populations of native americans left on the god ridden strips of land they've been left with.
3. rise in texan independence movements? Is Geralldo on syndication over there?
4. "we can claim alaska"? are you serious? i would love to see you try "claiming" a vast section of wilderness populated by indepdenent survivalists armed to the teeth.
5. "lack of unified national laws" is just laughable. That's by design, ivan.
6. It sounds like Russia by coincidentally releasing this propaganda from their ministy of foreign affairs in tandem with their naval shenanigans off the coast of venezuela during their election is asserting that american influence is waning and they are justified in filling the gap. Which I would take more seriously if it didn't read like an out take of dr strangelove from cultural research obtained by boris and natasha.

just my 2 cents.

- Mark Twain

Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Uh, right. I get that he saw the Soviet Union collapse and break apart, but we're not the Soviet Union. Interesting perspective, yes, but totally bonkers.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Deckard
issue 37

The country breaking up into separate parts?

Umm, right.

Loony prediction.

At worst, you'll end up like Britain. Still trying to punch above your weight, refusing to accept that you're simply no longer the world leaders. Rather, you're a bit of an international embarrassment.

Come to think of it, that's probably worse.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
The country breaking up into separate parts?

Umm, right.

Loony prediction.

At worst, you'll end up like Britain. Still trying to punch above your weight, refusing to accept that you're simply no longer the world leaders. Rather, you're a bit of an international embarrassment.

Come to think of it, that's probably worse.

OK, now, imagine all above as you've just explained.
WAh-BLAMO: NEO-DEPRESSION!!!

GRRAAAANDD MAAASTAAAH Of FEEEAARR!

The album artwork alone has blown me away many a night. Still have not listened to it yet though.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 AM
cured
sikk

Was he talking about the US or was he having a flashback?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

I think you guys are all missing the opportunities here. Living in Southern California, I personally look forward to when the country splits up so that our new Pacific Coast King, Arnold Schwarzenegger...

...can do battle with Russia's new Queen, hailing from their soon-to-be-acquired Alaskan territory...

Last edited by Sean; 11-26-2008 at 12:41 PM.