Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 AM
bornjimmy
river

Two Months Off
Hello, does anyone know the meaning of the lyrics to Two Months off? or why they were chosen? Im making an animation to the song for my final major project and no-one seems to know!

Jimmy
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: Two Months Off
"meaning" is less important than "feeling" in Underworld lyrics. don't try to read them like a poem or dylan lyrics. your emotion or impressions of the words and music are more important than what the words mean.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjimmy View Post
Hello, does anyone know the meaning of the lyrics to Two Months off? or why they were chosen? Im making an animation to the song for my final major project and no-one seems to know!

Jimmy
I can only give you my own subjective interpretation of it. I always think it is a song dedicated by a husband to his wife on their wedding day. It's probably the opening "bells" sequence, which is so typical of the wedding bells in an English church, that make me think that is what the lyrics are about.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM
bornjimmy
river

Yeah I'd agree with you there BrotherLovesDub. Its a very euphoric song and the actual words don't neccessarily have a literal meaning. I always think its sounds quite conversational or like something Karl or Rick has seen, an anecdote almost. For my animation, ive asked lots of people what they would do if they were given two months off, and got some good responses. The lyrics wont have a massive effect on the visuals but im still intrigued by them.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
mondokat
mouseman

I thought this song was one of the specific examples Karl has given when he talks about how his writing has changed since he stopped drinking. Specifically, he is around in the cities in the daytime now, which put a whole new perspective on things. But then again, everyone's impression of Underworld music is different...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

I agree with BB on this one - as an Englishman who grew up in the country I immediately recognised the musical sequence of church bells at the beginning (and also during the breakdown section of "Born Slippy - original") - however, I put this down to Rick's Dad being a lay preacher. I have always seen it as a celebration of simply being alive and appreciating the wonders of life and nature, particularly during the Summer "...fantastic, fantastic...woah!"