Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Boy Boy Boy video?
Love it. This is how you make a video! 11 31.43%
Hate it. What a concept. i could slow-mo my family vids and do this. 6 17.14%
Hmm, i'm lukewarm. 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
"Boy, Boy, Boy" video
It's up in the members section of UWLive. Directed by Simon Taylor.

What do you think?

My feeling is...some beautiful images, but a lot of waiting for very little payoff. If ever there was an UW song that can almost be deciphered literally, this is one, and to me, the images have nothing to do with the song's sentiment, other than there's a boy.

And your thoughts?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: "Boy, Boy, Boy" video
the less it has to do with the song, the better.
it almost makes it tolerable actually, the faux-cool sway of that song brought up some really tired, mid-90s vibes that i was really hating in addition to not liking the music, so this at least helpes to change that a bit.

the video itself is really likeable though. it might be too beautifully shot for the subject, but thats probably the goal of it too.

at least the twist is good enough to keep me from spoiling it, i'll just say i've done this enough times and to have it be seen like this is really humorous.
the more i think about it, the more it's a pretty fantastic video to me, it allows this abstract observation of people while being a proper video with a semi-clever twist going for it. needless to say it's very beautiful, and it actually helps to put a really crappy song in a much better light.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM
negative1

i'm sorry, the video didn't really help.
the song was weak on its own, and
this video didn't really do much either..
(compared to the 'crocodile' one)..

later
Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

ok - maybe it's because I wasn't paying complete attention to the video when I watched it...

but I didn't see ANY twist in the video at all...

I dunno... maybe it's just b/c I really really really didn't picture Boy Boy Boy as the second single (or really even as a 'potential single')

now like... "holding the moth" "beautiful burnout" maybe like a live ep for 'glam bucket' ... hell - even "Ring Road" to me makes more sense as a single than "boy boy boy"
Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

it's not a twist so much of a "oh"

this is about a million times better than crocodile
Old 11-03-2007, 03:11 PM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

i like the song. it's great - but it's not the sound of underworld that i like the most. it's not an underworld song in my definition of what an underworld song sounds like. it's not the underworld sound that made me an underworld fan.

the video is good but not groundbreaking. it's art. it's a video. but it's not a video i want to watch over and over.

but it's deffo underworld so i'm
Old 11-03-2007, 04:05 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

Methinks underworld should be like led zepp and not release singles at all. For starters, how can you sum up the the underworld experience in a 3 and a half minute single? However, having said that, I like the song "Boy boy boy" and I like the vid - it appears to reflect the insane craving for adoration/stardom, no matter how minor.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:09 PM
The359
river

OK, I've watched the video twice now and I think someone's going to have to explain this to me. I'm not really seeing a twist, or I'm seeing one but don't think it's that much of a twist? I don't know.

The song works well, and the video is lovely, but I don't really think the lyrics work well with the images, from my interpretation at least.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:11 PM
cacophony
disquietude

i thought the visuals were really appealing. the slomo and the color composition and lighting were all very pleasing to the eye. i thought it deviated appropriately from their typical visual style, which was suitable considering how much the song itself deviates from their musical style.

but my poll options were sort of "ultimate video stylee!" or "gag me a thousand times." which left me with "hmm, lukewarm" as the only option i could choose.

i feel less lukewarm and more approving, but i certainly wouldn't rank it among favorite underworld videos.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
OK, I've watched the video twice now and I think someone's going to have to explain this to me. I'm not really seeing a twist, or I'm seeing one but don't think it's that much of a twist? I don't know.

The song works well, and the video is lovely, but I don't really think the lyrics work well with the images, from my interpretation at least.
the twist is that the accolades are all in the kid's head. it's not a massive twist, and i certainly wouldn't call it a surprise. but it's a twist nonetheless.

and regarding the comments that have remarked on the appropriateness of the visuals per the lyrics, i don't know that that's a requirement of all music videos. in fact, i would say it's rarely a requirement for most music videos. it's not a rock opera, the lyrics don't have to be acted out word for word. i would have been disappointed if all the visuals did was show a boy wrapping his arms 'round a skinny thing.