Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Stylus Magazine Reviews OWB
http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review...with-bells.htm

Nick Southall, if you google yourself, and i'm sure you will, may you find this thread and realize at least one person on the internet thinks you're a giant douche. Any plans for a real job? Your review sucks ass.

"the problem at the heart of Oblivion With Bells; for all its tasteful craft, aesthetic unity and knowing winks to its makers’ history, it’s simply not very interesting."

and the Mike Skinner line again. did you read the forums here and then steal that line?

Nick Southall: Cock.

Last edited by BrotherLovesDub; 10-13-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 PM
gillenium

Re: Uninsightful C*cksucker at Stylus Magazine Reviews OWB
Did you even read his review? He actually said some good things about the album. And how does not liking the album make him a douche? Explain that to me.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

because i said so. opinions are like assholes and i'm hugely opinionated.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
I agree with the review.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:11 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

1. "twin bombshells of Second Toughest in the Infants and “Born Slippy,”
---- if you think STITI and Born Slippy were the artistic peak of Underworld you're ignorant.

2. "reduced to releasing web-only EPs and providing incidental music for ignorable British films"
---- the films were ignorable but to say they were reduced to doing web only eps and soundtracks is to be clueless to the sense of freedom and artistic exploration rick and karl experienced through those projects. giant festering infected douche is what i should have said.

3. "badly-dressed obscurity that typified their pre-techno reinvention circa 1992."
---- good point, well said.

4. "100 Days Off continuing in the exact same vein but perhaps with less direction."
---- i completely disagree that AHDO continued in the same vein as the prev. 3 albums and i think most fans with a brain would.

5. " rollicking, deranged assault of “Born Slippy,”
---- did you discover techno through Trainspotting? what was your first exposure to UW? Born Slippy? as i said, Giant Douche.

6. "wide-open plains of Joshua Tree"
---- oh, because Larry Mullen is on one song, i'll refer to another U2 album, that will be cool and tie it all together.

7. "sounds like nothing so much as Mike Skinner’s drunken, rambling dad caught in the early morning detritus of some ethno-disco gone wrong."
---- ring road sounds like Ethno-Disco? really? and you had to use the Mike Skinner line from some other clueless person on this forum?

8. "The immaculately produced pulses and scrapes of “Glam Bucket” get things back on track though, but also typifies the problem at the heart of Oblivion With Bells; for all its tasteful craft, aesthetic unity and knowing winks to its makers’ history, it’s simply not very interesting."
---- knowing winks? which sounds/lyrics etc. are knowing winks? you think Glam Bucket and the album in full is not very interesting yet you praise more than half the tracks? seriously, stick to reviewing shitty indie rock. you know fuck all about electronic music.

9. "it would be ludicrous to expect them to still be pile-driving dance-floor slaying bangers at us."
---- and yet, you follow up by pretty much slating them for not doing the very thing you say would be ludicrous. you're a fucking piece of shit reviewer on a shitty fucking website. do you actually get paid to write this shit?

10. "They now seem perpetually stuck in the ‘morning after’ phase"
---- really? you've seen them live? you don't understand that some artists seperate their live shows and studio productions? theres a place for everything. try seeing them live then condemn them for being stuck in the morning after phase. you fucking idiot.

11. you mentioned raving.

i rest my case.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
irons
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
1. "twin bombshells of Second Toughest in the Infants and “Born Slippy,”
---- if you think STITI and Born Slippy were the artistic peak of Underworld you're ignorant.
He actually calls it the "cultural peak." I took that to mean the time when they were most popular.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but this is what I expected from a review of it. Underworld isn't for everybody, the same way high IQs aren't for everybody, right? Ever since the so-called "cultural peak," hordes have been disappointed that the group doesn't crank out Born Slippy NUXX over and over again the same way so many other artists in the genre do. What I thought was bad about the interview is that maybe half of it of it speaks of the music itself; a lot of it seems caught up in criticizing cultural relevance or other, similar things. I don't think the guy is a "c*cksucker," but I also think his writing could be a lot better. I give him a C+.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

y'know, i don't think he's actually a cocksucker/douche either but his review pissed me off. i'm sure i've pissed off others who would call me a fawning fan-boy or whatever. that's the joy of being able to freely post your opinions. if you can't anonymously call someone you don't know derrogatory names on the internet, the terrorists have won.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
gillenium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
if you can't anonymously call someone you don't know derrogatory names on the internet, the terrorists have won.
I'd have to agree with that one.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

f_ck that reviewer

totally agree w/ you BLD

...at least it got 4 stars in URB (or is it five... I forget how many stars albums get..)
Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 PM
qirex
mouseman

I don't see what everyone is in an uproar about. It was actually a positive review, or am I missing something? The guy complimented the band numerous times and just said he misses the dance anthems which are much more interesting to him than these abstract/experimental pieces which they've been putting out recently. First, it was his opinion, and everyone has one. Second I don't see anything there really that should piss anyone off.