Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Maboul59
mouseman

Nationality Argument
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Year Of The Snake View Post
anybody know why their schedule was so extremely limited this time round?
Because they're currently working on a new album and because these concerts aren't supposed to follow anything ?

May I remind you that Underworld are British and that the USA aren't supposed to be their first destination when they tour ?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 AM
In The Year Of The Snake
river

Re: Underworld Live Webcast - 2009-08-07 Fox Theatre, Oakland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maboul59 View Post
May I remind you that Underworld are British and that the USA aren't supposed to be their first destination when they tour ?
No need to remind me of that, grasshopper, I assure you. Actually, to say they're simply "British" is a bit vague, innit? Rick is Welsh (god bless em), Karl's the one from Britain proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maboul59 View Post
Because they're currently working on a new album and because these concerts aren't supposed to follow anything ?
This, however, is a good thing to remind me of. So, kind of like the few festivals they did before Beaucoup, where they found they needed to completely rework Snake, yes?

..been kicking around the desert alone for years.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
No need to remind me of that, grasshopper, I assure you. Actually, to say they're simply "British" is a bit vague, innit? Rick is Welsh (god bless em), Karl's the one from Britain proper.
Without wishing to split hairs, but they are both British - Rick is Welsh and Karl is English, both of which countries, together with Scotland, form Great Britain. If you add Northern Ireland, you have the United Kingdom.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
Without wishing to split hairs, but they are both British - Rick is Welsh and Karl is English, both of which countries, together with Scotland, form Great Britain. If you add Northern Ireland, you have the United Kingdom.

Ignorant foreigners
Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
I thought the UK was somwhere near Iceland?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 AM
In The Year Of The Snake
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
Em, yeah. While I am so infinitely grateful for the geography lesson (I truly had no idea that them islands ova thar in that big ole sea was big ol' Great Britain!), it was actually completely unnecessary.

I said calling Rick "British" was vague, not wrong. He's Welsh, and proud of it. (By his own admittance, and how else did Cymraeg end up as one of the menu languages on "Everything, Everything"? (The others of course being the obviously-required English, and very justifiably-included Japanese.))

They're both British, but call a Welshman a "Londoner" and he'll almost certainly take offense.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Mike
born013

Call anyone outside of London a 'Londener' and they would also take offence. After all, we dont call all amercians 'New Yorkers' :P
Old 08-09-2009, 02:59 AM
In The Year Of The Snake
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Call anyone outside of London a 'Londener' and they would also take offence. After all, we dont call all amercians 'New Yorkers' :P
True, but the analogy you make is not completely appropriate. Wales, like Scotland, England, and Northern Ireland are actually fully separate countries, united under the banner of the United Kingdom. When you call a "San Diegan" a "New Yorker", for example, you're confusing separate parts of the same country (forgetting our little states). But call someone born in and living about Cardiff a "Londoner", and you're citing a place that's not even in his country at all.

Last edited by In The Year Of The Snake; 08-09-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Em, yeah. While I am so infinitely grateful for the geography lesson (I truly had no idea that them islands ova thar in that big ole sea was big ol' Great Britain!), it was actually completely unnecessary.

I said calling Rick "British" was vague, not wrong. He's Welsh, and proud of it. (By his own admittance, and how else did Cymraeg end up as one of the menu languages on "Everything, Everything"? (The others of course being the obviously-required English, and very justifiably-included Japanese.))

They're both British, but call a Welshman a "Londoner" and he'll almost certainly take offense.
hold on a minute - it was you who claimed that only karl was from 'britain proper' (post #395) so clearly it was 'completely necessary' to point out that both are british.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Mike
born013

Quote:
True, but the analogy you make is not completely appropriate. Wales, like Scotland, England, and Northern Ireland are actually fully separate countries, united under the banner of the United Kingdom. When you call a "San Diegan" a "New Yorker", for example, you're confusing separate parts of the same country (forgetting our little states). But call someone born in and living about Cardiff a "Londoner", and you're citing a place that's not even in his country at all.
Actually i was refering to this comment that you made:

Quote:
Call a bloke from Bristol or Birmingham a Londoner, your almost certain to offend them with your ignorance. Just like if a someone called someone from LA a New Yorker.

So the analogy is correct.