Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: It was 40 Years Ago Today...
I think a lot of the songs stand up well today, especially George's tunes. Totally underrated. The sitar tunes Love You To and Within Without You particularly stand out as does Tomorrow Never Knows.

Within Without You was originally a 30-minute epic and a lot faster! I'd love to hear that... There is a version at the original speed on Anthology #2...
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee
I think a lot of the songs stand up well today, especially George's tunes. Totally underrated. The sitar tunes Love You To and Within Without You particularly stand out as does Tomorrow Never Knows.

Within Without You was originally a 30-minute epic and a lot faster! I'd love to hear that... There is a version at the original speed on Anthology #2...

the chemical brothers used to play Tomorrow Never Knows to end their sets in 94-96 sometime around there proof that that track stands the test of time... and its one of Noel Gallaghers fav tunes too
Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
myshkin
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanakan
you saw the " " sign in KoS' post, myshkin?

don't take all things equally serious..
I know-I realised as I wrote it my post might come across heavier than meant but unfortunately just bare words on a screen rob most of the tone it's written in, so just to say it wasn't meant in a heavy way. But it is true that most people are blissfully unaware that dance music in the modern sense was kicked off by The Beatles with that unbelievable tune, Tomorrow N K, quite a few years before Kraftwerk even started going down that kind of route. It is a bit of a pity The BEatles themselves didn't pursue that route a bit more.

Last edited by myshkin; 06-04-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin
My favourite writer is Dostoevsky, King of Snake. Does that mean I was around when he wrote? And any self-respecting lover of the kind of music Underworld make, knows it all started with Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles off the Revolver album. This from 1966 remember:
=
No offence, but knowing this music & others like Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd stuff, Jimi Hendrix, Velvet Underground etc etc doesn't mean you're old; it means you're not musically ignorant.
hehe, of course I was only talking about Beautiful Burnout, Stimpee and Bigscreensattelite who are all, in fact, old.

Of course I wasn't being serious. I admit I have virtually zero knowledge of the Beatles, but I do really like Pink floyd, the Doors and 60's music in general.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake
hehe, of course I was only talking about Beautiful Burnout, Stimpee and Bigscreensattelite who are all, in fact, old.
why you... i oughta...

the kids today, no respect....
Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 AM
myshkin
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake

Of course I wasn't being serious. I admit I have virtually zero knowledge of the Beatles, but I do really like Pink floyd, the Doors and 60's music in general.
Best advice I'd give is check out Magical Mystery Tour. Great stuff. Though I am perhaps a little bit old.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

1. I may be old but that means I know a lot more stuff than a lot of young people do, so there!

2. Matt - Star Wars has been around for ages - why celebrate the 30 year anniverary? There have been a lot more films since, with better special effects

3. I didn't mean to imply that Sgt. Peppers was the best Beatles album, just a seminal album. The first "pop" album of its kind that tried to convey a story and was intended by the musicians to be an "experience" in its entirety.

4. I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.