Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 05:42 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

Re: Scanner Darkly
WOW! that was a badass film.
i will talk A LOT later about it because i have so much questions // but yeah.. super punk rock. One more for Linklater.

It was subtance D or T??? that was tight for me!!

Grady: you didn't felt that those roto things moving and floating were pretty damn trippy.. i was like oo oh !! substancce d/t works!! i'm with brian, makes total sense with the script the rotoscoping .. and keanu is hot even rotoed. hehe
Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 AM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GforGroove
Grady: you didn't felt that those roto things moving and floating were pretty damn trippy.. i was like oo oh !! substancce d/t works!! i'm with brian, makes total sense with the script the rotoscoping .. and keanu is hot even rotoed. hehe
No, I haven't seen it yet, but my friend was wondering if the rotoscoping was really needed. If it should have been done with conventional effects instead.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 PM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
so I saw it again... as far as I remember it's basically the exact same movie that I saw back in march, but with different end credits and snippets of Radiohead/Thom Yorke songs...

and it's as good as I initially thought it was! Happy to report that all of my doubts that came with time were almost unfounded. I still have a few minor irks with it but for the most part the movie plays pretty well I think.

I still love the animation btw, especially the scrambler suits...
Old 07-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Tania
Black Giraffe

I saw this today, and really enjoyed the music. It was interesting..and strange and cool. And Keanu wasnt that bad either, heh.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
adam
blue

http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/ib...745/index.html
Old 07-17-2006, 06:39 PM
negative1

keanu still can't act. does he still
think he's in the matrix?

the scramble suits were pretty lame,
as they could easily be defeated if
someone tried to cut it off, or shoot
them...

what's with winona ryder in it?
she's very out of place..to commercial..

i really liked the woody harrelson character,
and also the robert downey characters..
they stole the movie...great dialogue, and
interaction...

oh richard, enough with the rotoscoping,
waking life was much better....you don't need
to do it again...

i agree, this movie didn't need to be animated..

later

Last edited by negative1; 07-17-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
I thought it was the mixed bag. I enjoyed the rotoscoping and the high level idea but I was basically falling asleep during the middle portions. They could have chopped out the mid section of this film completely.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 PM
adam
blue

I don't understand any on -1's complaints. Like, "The scramble suits were lame because they could be defeated." What? When did you see him with a scramble suit on around anyone who would want to "cut it off"? The scramble suits were to protect the identities of undercover cops...they didn't wear them while on the job.

And, yeah, I guess it didn't need to be animated in the sense that nothing needs to be animated. But I think it benefited from it. It was pretty, and different. I don't object to either of those. You guys sound a little bit like people arguing that painting became obsolete with the invention of photography. I do not understand that attitude.

Waking Life was a completely different film. The animation was looser, and it had different animators doing each scene. Yes, they could have not animated the bulk of it, but they would have still had to animate the various hallucinations, scramble suits, etc. Oh noes they rotoscoped it. So? Wouldn't doing it with traditional computer animation have been much more commonplace?

"Oh richard, enough with the rotoscoping." If you don't like rotoscoping, that's fine, but, man, that sounds patronizing.

Does Keanu think he's still in the matrix? Winona is "too commercial"? What do these comments even mean? Seriously.

Personally, I felt it would have benefited by losing the humour, but it's definitely in the book, too.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Is it possible to rotoscope older films? It might help Episode I.

I wonder if other PKD books will be made into films now.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 PM
GforGroove
marca libre

You are all wrong

I guess that the bonus of this screenplay and story is that you could either do it with traditional 35mm film or....... approach it in a more creative way -that actually makes sense with the story- like rotoscoping.. I'm going to be the only one i know that makes the controversy but im used to! he.. BUT really, Linklater always try to push either the technique, either the script in different ways and i think he is always right in the way he produce the films.

I don't know.. but imagine all this bugs at the beggining just in horrible super realistic 3d... i don't know this aestetic makes perfect sense for me.. if you are talking about hallucinatory states of mind.. they were leaving reality and becoming druggies.. they were high no? and this image is totally high.

i say, Rotoscope makes perfect sense. And well im up for films that does not look as the films we always look at.. so yeah, let's animate everything we can.

By the way.. i forgot to tell it.. But you didn't loved and laugh when Keanu says: "Do i look like gay?" hehe...