PDA

View Full Version : parah salin?

Pages : [1] 2

bryantm3
08-30-2008, 12:34 PM
John McCain is not only trying desperately to win this election, he's putting the fate of our country in jeopardy. This woman has been a governor of a state that has a population smaller than that of Charlotte, North Carolina, and before that she was a mayor of a town of less than 9,000 people.

John McCain is an old man- in fact, if he is elected, he will be the oldest first term president ever elected. And, although he is seemingly in good health, old people die, no matter how much power they might have. Can you imagine John McCain having a heart attack and having this woman in power? The thought scares me. This woman has nowhere near the experience and judgement to assume the office of president, and she doesn't have the maturity to put her country first and deny the office of vice president due to her extreme inexperience.

The biggest thing this woman has ever done was try to build a public use sports complex in her town of Wasilla. Unfortunately, a developer named Gary Lundgren already owned the land, so, get this- she attempted to acquire the land through eminent domain. Republicans are supposed to be for individual rights and freedoms. All throughout the writings of John Locke and the Declaration of Independence, property rights are again and again stated as something that everyone deserves as a natural right. The land is still being disputed, but while it is, they went ahead and built the sports complex.

And conveniently, this little bit of information was strangely removed from her wikipedia article only a few hours after her Vice Presidential nominee status was announced.

And the biggest thing- SHE'S A FLIP FLOPPER!

She was for the 'bridge to nowhere' being funded by federal tax dollars before it became unpopular- and then she was against it!

In her campaign to become governor, she advocated teaching creationism in schools, and, once she was elected, she said it wasn't neccesary!

And this is the killer for the conservative Christians- she states she's against gay marriage, but she approves giving gay couples the same rights as married men and women.

So there are three questions to ask:

1. Does she have the experience and wisdom to be able to become president at any time?

2. Barring that, is she an honest person who holds steadfast to her beliefs and will uphold the principles of the Declaration of Independence and laws of the Constitution?

3. Finally, will she help John McCain get elected?

I think we all know the answers to all three.

kagenaki koe
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM
And the biggest thing- SHE'S A FLIP FLOPPER!

She was for the 'bridge to nowhere' being funded by federal tax dollars before it became unpopular- and then she was against it!

In her campaign to become governor, she advocated teaching creationism in schools, and, once she was elected, she said it wasn't neccesary!

And this is the killer for the conservative Christians- she states she's against gay marriage, but she approves giving gay couples the same rights as married men and women.

McCain is right. She's just like him:D

IsiliRunite
08-30-2008, 12:47 PM
He blew the election when he passed over Romney. Hell, Romney, Huckabee, or Ron Paul should have been the candidate.

cured
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Alska actually kept the dollars for the bridge to nowhere, too. They just didn't build it.

chuck
08-30-2008, 04:16 PM
The choice of Palin is just plain bonkers.

But that's an outsiders opinion.

If - as seems to be the point, the aim is get Hillary voters across to back the ticket - because, you know, she has boobs - then the last 8 years have really screwed with sensibilities in the US.

Because you know the Washington elite aren't going to give her the time of day.

It does seem odd - after 8 years of GW and the intense power that was/is Cheney - to try to imagine McCain and Palin being in the White House.

That's what's really strange - after all the footstomping, chestbeating, red-meat gargling, strong on terrrism fanaticism we've seen from the GOP over the last 8 years - this old guy and as Stewart says "the Emmy award winning librarian from any Cinemax movie" - are the best they've got to take on the torch.

And they want the rest of the world, and their own population to believe in and follow these two.

Bonkers.

At least our female PM looks like she'd smash you, just as soon as talk to you.

http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/22clark_caption435.jpg

cacophony
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM

she then kept the federal money that was earmarked for the project and recommended that they use it instead as a disbursement to the general alaskan population. apparently figuring federal tax dollars should go to a, "you chose to live in alaska, here's some money" initiative.

So there are three questions to ask:

1. Does she have the experience and wisdom to be able to become president at any time?

2. Barring that, is she an honest person who holds steadfast to her beliefs and will uphold the principles of the Declaration of Independence and laws of the Constitution?

3. Finally, will she help John McCain get elected?

1. i don't believe so, although i'm not sure "at any time" is the appropriate context. i don't believe she is at a point in her career right now where she has the wisdom or experience. but then, i also ride the fence on whether obama has the experience and wisdom to become president. what is reassuring about obama is that he seems to surround himself with very knowledgeable advisers and he seems like an extremely intelligent person who is able to hear advice, learn an issue quickly, and make intelligent decisions based on the available information (as evidenced by his responses (http://www.sciencedebate2008.com/www/index.php?id=40) in the so-called "science debate"). so far palin's track record doesn't show a similar ability.

2. i don't feel you can really pose that question at this point. if your argument is that she's inexperienced, then she hasn't built a record of office that would illustrate her integrity or intentions to uphold the US constitution. you also have provided too few examples to evaluate her honesty or how steadfast she is in her core ethics. i'm not arguing one way or another here, i just feel like the answer to #1 means you can't actually answer #2.

3. as they say in the south, she might could. remember, there's a very strong evangelical voter base out there that just wants the illusion of integrity and conservative values. she absolutely embodies conservative values at least superficially. don't forget that george bush sailed his way into a re-election based on the very common argument that, "he might not always be right, but at least he sticks to his guns." not to mention the "fiscally conservative" voter base who cast their ballots for bush in spite of the fact that he's run the most spend-a-riffic administration possible, simply because he spoke the language of conservatism. sadly, both the democrats and the republicans have a large voter base that is willing to vote for soundbites over substance, so it's perfectly plausible that she could create the illusion of conservatism that the traditionalists are looking for and that could win back some of the disenfranchised right wing.

cacophony
08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
one other thought: i'm not a big fan of the "mccain is old" argument, especially in the context that he's old and will therefore surely die in office and leave us with an inevitable palin presidency. horseshit. the man is systemically healthy as a horse and showing no signs of decline. he may be older than any first term president but that isn't really saying much.

hell, william harrison served as president when he was 68 years old, in 1841. do you realize what the life expectancy difference is between 1841 and 2008? reagan was 69 when he took office for his first term, and the dude lived until 2004.

be concerned about his brushes with skin cancer, sure. but that's not an age-related illness.

Future Proof
08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
I love how in the wake of all this, the media just tries and tries to be sexy, only to display themselves as completely out of touch with the average voter.

This moronic quote from a Politico article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/12997), a commonly repeated idea in many news pubs, is the subject of my criticism:

Palin, the logic goes, will prompt voters to give him a second look — especially women who have watched Democrats reject Hillary Rodham Clinton for Barack Obama.

Now, you tell me... what self-respecting female will cross party lines and go against their value system just to put "a woman" in office? Some will cross over because "OMG it's a chick, you go girl!!!" and general moronic gestures, but enough to sway an election? As Bryant so clearly pointed out, Sarah Palin is a completely inexperienced Republican buffoon, and will probably cost McCain more votes than earn him.

My prediction, a moderate win of the popular vote for Obama, and an electoral landslide in November.

P.S. - Did McCain just pick this woman's name out of a hat? Completely irresponsible imo.

kagenaki koe
08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
what self-respecting female will cross party lines and go against their value system just to put "a woman" in office?

the hillary supporters who will vote mccain just because obama beat clinton (and snubbed her for the vp spot)

Future Proof
08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
the hillary supporters who will vote mccain just because obama beat clinton (and snubbed her for the vp spot)

Dang, 47 less votes for Obama... :(

dubman
08-30-2008, 07:11 PM

i still say shes way too conservative to sway anyone enough to vote for them over the next two months. if she was on mccains clout level it might work for the sufficently dumb, but she's going to have to talk, and anyone who was all about hillary is going to have to do a LOT of rationalization to think voting republican at this stage is okay just because

cacophony
08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Now, you tell me... what self-respecting female will cross party lines and go against their value system just to put "a woman" in office? Some will cross over because "OMG it's a chick, you go girl!!!" and general moronic gestures, but enough to sway an election?

exactly. most of the women who strongly supported clinton did so because clinton has worked so hard to uphold some very liberal ideals, particularly abortion and contraception rights. you don't see, say, nancy pelosi carrying the same approval rating among women that hillary clinton does.

it's just interesting how it always comes down to women's inability to use their noggins. when bill clinton ran i remember how the media kept talking about how he would bring in the female voters because he's attractive (so they say). i remember the same thing being said about dan quayle, that he would bring in valuable female votes because he was young and attractive. i remember recently that there were predictions of john edwards' success because he's young and attractive.

so now you've got a young attractive female candidate and no one's saying, "men are going to flock to her because she's young and attractive." no, once again it's women being totally brainless and voting for her because she's a chick.

cacophony
08-30-2008, 07:28 PM

an overblown media myth. the actual proportion of the voting population who fits this description is infinitesimally small. don't buy into it.

cacophony
08-30-2008, 07:37 PM
triple post.

interesting abstract (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W64-491RWS3-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=d38d893931c438a62917686df7450401) i found about gender issues and voting. unfortunately you have to be a member in order to access the full study but the abstract alone was informative.

We examine how male and female voters differ in their use of issue salience in congressional voting. We use American National Election Survey (ANES) data for 1994, 1996, and 1998 to construct a multivariate model of gender differences in partisan voting in U.S. House races. We use four categories of independent variables: demographics, ideology, economic evaluations, and issue positions. A logistic regression for each election, by sex, was tested. Our results suggest that although there are similarities in how issues are politicized in presidential and congressional voting decisions, the patterns are not identical. Second, issue salience is not uniform across elections. Third, women are slightly more likely to attach greater weight to economic evaluations and social spending. Fourth, there is only weak evidence that group identity influences women’s congressional voting. Finally, we find that men focused on the Clinton scandal in 1998, but women also used other issues in choosing how to vote.

dubman
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
politicos are always desperates for talking points, they'll say any fucking thing. dan quayle was picked because bush sr. owed his family a favor. every demographic is as dumb as pundits need them to be to have something to say.

oh but look:
LOL (http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/30/121350/137/486/580223)

it'll be interesting if it goes anywhere. and as someone else said on the other board i stole this from: "not that this should matter in the election at all, but it would be lying to say that it won't if it's true"
even with that said, i dont know. claiming mamahood for a baby that isnt yours because it'd look bad for you if your teenage daughter got pregnant? wrong, rough, and sad.

take with the largest grain of salt you can, tho.

kagenaki koe
08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
been reading this alaskan based guy's blog (i guess he moved there before Palin became governor). his last few posts have been about Palin.

some quick stuff he pointed out:
• her very high approval rating was when she first became governor (but has quickly gone downhill)
• those ratings were high cuz she was replacing a really awful governor (she was essentially the "anyone but" candidate)
• they don't remember her being against the bridge to nowhere

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/what-is-mccain-thinking-one-alaskans-perspective/

cacophony
08-31-2008, 12:54 PM
claiming mamahood for a baby that isnt yours because it'd look bad for you if your teenage daughter got pregnant?

haha i was just coming here to post about this. seems like a terribly far-fetched conspiracy theory but funny to contemplate.

democrats have run a pretty clean and respectful campaign up until now. i hope it doesn't start getting nasty because that can only harm rather than help. true or not, there's no way to parlay this into an advantage.

Deckard
08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
democrats have run a pretty clean and respectful campaign up until now. i hope it doesn't start getting nasty because that can only harm rather than help.
Agreed. I thought the Obama campaign's initial reaction was a tad ungracious - was it Bill Burton or someone? Whoever it was, just leaping straight into a criticism of her lack of experience within barely an hour of the announcement was poor form. Good for Hillary for issuing a more generous congratulation.

chuck
09-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Holy cow - TrooperGate, BabyGate, the bridge to nowhere.

And now from Josh Marshall - this story, with audio links (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211769.php) - which if even slightly true has to make you wonder about the viability of Palin to hold the VP gig.

Or it could make you agree - that she's following in the footsteps of all the great ones - and will fit right into the Washington system. It's not like the abuse of powers over the last 8 years have led to much wringing of hands and/or gnashing of teeth amongst the conservative masses.

"We rely on elected officials not to use the power of their office to pursue personal agendas or vendettas.

It's called an abuse of power.

There is ample evidence that Palin used her power as governor to get her ex-brother-in-law fired. When his boss refused to fire him, she fired his boss.

She first denied Monegan's claims of pressure to fire Wooten and then had to amend her story when evidence proved otherwise.

The available evidence now suggests that she 1) tried to have an ex-relative fired from his job for personal reasons, something that was clearly inappropriate, and perhaps illegal, though possibly understandable in human terms, 2) fired a state official for not himself acting inappropriately by firing the relative, 3) lied to the public about what happened and 4) continues to lie about what happened.

These are, to put it mildly, not the traits or temperament you want in someone who could hold the executive power of the federal government"

Troy McClure
09-01-2008, 02:29 AM
It appears on the surface that Senator McCain and his campaign didn't do their due diligence, but not to worry as many are more than willing to do it for him.

The problem that I have with the troopergate stuff is Governor Palin's appearance of continued dishonesty about her role. I'd bet if she had been honest, this would go away.

Jason

kagenaki koe
09-01-2008, 02:59 AM
the McCain innervoice is hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qUVQDmLf7s

chuck
09-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Bingo!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/antsaoi/Photoshops/Mine/KOTH.jpg

cacophony
09-01-2008, 10:23 AM
the plot thickens.

the baby isn't her daughter's. can't be. because her 17-year-old daughter of conservative values IS 5 MONTHS PREGNANT OUT OF WEDLOCK (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/mccain_campaign_palins_17yearo.php) *lightning crashes*

my initial thought was that this wouldn't play well with conservatives. knocked up teenage girl, etc. then i realized that we're talking about a very special group of people whose "conservative" values totally embrace teenage sluttery as long as they marry the teenage father and choose life.

so actually i think this is going to turn out to be the perfect storm of controversy for the republicans. the evangelicals and the backwater suburbanites will flock to them in support of the blessed 17 year old who doesn't understand the basic principle of contraception.

cured
09-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Man, this is amazing.

dubman
09-01-2008, 11:59 AM
HAAAAAHAHAHAHA

WE'RE ABOUT TO GET VICTORIAN ALL UP IN THIS ELECTION.
a family with a bastard child? THE NERVE!

IsiliRunite
09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Close your eyes and think of Alaska.

Future Proof
09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
How convenient. Something still seems awfully strange though about all this...

EDIT: I know what it is. The part that seems strange is that this new series of events is almost the perfect plan B to what would happen if plan A went sour. Plan A of course to hide the daughter's pregnancy, and Plab B to absolve Ms. Palin of any wrong-doing, should people catch on.

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKES will someone just call fucking Maury Povich and get a baby-daddy test center on the line?!?!?!

gambit
09-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I was wrong. This is waaaaaaaayyyyy stranger than Harriet Miers.

I don't see how McCain picked her but just for her ovaries and looks. Otherwise, she's too much like the Bush administration to be an "outsider."

kagenaki koe
09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
maybe britney's sister will show up in a campaign ad
http://www.etonline.com/news/2007/12/56643/

dubman
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
i really hope that after the confusion settles and the convention is over this whole bullshit can be dropped and we can get to consistently wearing down any conception that this is a competent choice. people are just assuming this off the bat because she has ZERO federal experience, but that's no reason to rest on that and let the GOP keep refocusing the debate.

laws of political obfuscation almost guarantee that once bullshit starts it doesnt stop, but maybe just this once....

it's encouraging anyway that obama camp is really uncomfortable with this line of schandenfreude

cacophony
09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
^ i can vouch for how it'll play in the south if we're using jamie lynn spears as a benchmark. the dominant "conservative" suburbanites of alpharetta, georgia will absolutely love her and support her because of this. expect to see it play out that way across the south.

dubman
09-01-2008, 01:51 PM
religion loves a redemption story more than a perfect slate.
though its still funny to hear "everybody makes mistakes" in politics. lol ok.

cacophony
09-01-2008, 02:32 PM
hey you remember indicted senator ted stevens (bridge to nowhere, "the internet is a series of tubes" ted stevens)? turns out sarah palin was director of his 527 group. (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/01/palin_was_a_director_of_embatt.html)

how is that relevant? well, let's see, it's only mccain's most vehemently pursued issue in recent years. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqjw3ERHz4)

cacophony
09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
oh yes, and apparently our founding fathers enjoyed reciting the 1950s version of the pledge of allegiance, which was originally composed in 1892.

that's a minimum of a 150 year budget shortfall in her mental math.

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/01/palin-on-pledge-of-allegi_n_122965.html)Question: Are you offended by the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

Palin: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I'll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance.

The pledge, of course, was not written until 1892 and the words "under God" were not added until the 1950s.

den
09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
This was my friend's comment:

"Man, I just ordered my McCain-MILF 08 button! Maybe I can cross out the M and put in a G instead."

gambit
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
If Palin starts poking out her chest while riding a horse, then we'll know the McCain campaign is desperate.

Sarcasmo
09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
If Palin starts poking out her chest while riding a horse, then we'll know the McCain campaign is desperate.

...I'll watch...

:o

chuck
09-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm starting to think we're being distracted by this Palin person - and missing something really obvious.

It can't really be this easy can it? To skewer the GOP so easily?

I mean, come on - Bush and Cheney - they were a joke - but enough fell for them.

This isn't even a joke is it? Really?

Oh well - might as well join in the fun.

http://sarahpalin.typepad.com/

And this is really reaching for the arse end of the barrel - because she's the COMMANDER IN CHIEF of the Alaskan National Guard - that must mean she's got more foreign policy experience than the Democrats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYiw_y2qDI

Oh. But wait. Turns out she does nada when it comes to commanding the National Guard (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/31/alaska-national-guard-gen_n_122860.html). That's all done at the federal level. Duh.

"From McCain's wife, Cindy, came a geographic assessment of qualification: "Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia. So, it's not as if she doesn't understand what's at stake here."

bahahahahahaha.

And if you are trying to keep track of it all.

TPM's Election Central (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/the_palin_meltdown_in_slomo.php)

Deckard
09-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Can anyone confirm whether this woman really believes the earth is 6,000 years old (and presumably things like this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7592317.stm) were planted by Satan)?

cacophony
09-02-2008, 07:13 AM
"From McCain's wife, Cindy, came a geographic assessment of qualification: "Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia. So, it's not as if she doesn't understand what's at stake here."

shut up, cindy.

Sarcasmo
09-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Chuck, let's just call it what it is: A farce. If Americans fall for this one...we fucking deserve what we get. Even if that means John McCain dies of a stroke and we wind up with a petty, ruler-of-bumfuck-nowhere, former-almost-beauty-queen running this place.

I talked to a good friend of mine 5 days ago who pretty much brought me around to thinking that Joe Biden was a pretty saavy choice, and I honestly can't wait to see him eviscerate Palin on national TV.

And yes, Bush got elected to a second term even though he had no fucking right to, so I can totally believe people are falling for this.

Sarcasmo
09-02-2008, 08:07 AM
shut up, cindy.

Has this woman said anything substantive at any point she's been on TV, or is she just some kind subliminal evidence of McCain's virility?

Strangelet
09-02-2008, 08:16 AM
religion loves a redemption story more than a perfect slate.
though its still funny to hear "everybody makes mistakes" in politics. lol ok.

a preggers teen from a religious right family is one who makes mistakes.

a preggers teen from a liberal family reflects her parents' broken "moral compass."

see the difference?

anyway I love how mccain thought to sway disgruntled feminists by picking betty crocker with a shotgun.

nice try, you raging colostomy bag.

Strangelet
09-02-2008, 08:24 AM

not that I expect cindy to know this, but alaska used to be russian. that means palin and putin are basically cousins, by her logic. They should have a family meeting and discuss dr zhivago over borsht and moose burgers. make the world a better place.

dubman
09-02-2008, 09:17 AM

a preggers teen from a liberal family reflects her parents' broken "moral compass."

see the difference?

yeah but the liberal family were a bunch of godless heathens to begin with. limbaugh would be surprised that they wouldnt perform a public abortion right then and there at the announcement.

Has this woman said anything substantive at any point she's been on TV, or is she just some kind subliminal evidence of McCain's virility?

i'd ask that about palin as well

seriously, this choice is more than latently perverted. ughhh

cacophony
09-02-2008, 09:26 AM

she's pretty much a cardboard cutout of a woman selected from the "generic politician's wife" bargain bin. i'm willing to bet somewhere on her body there's a stamp that reads, "made in hong kong."

i usually try to avoid critiquing politicians' wives but this particular one keeps trying to inject herself into the political conversation, when she's about as useless as hen shit on a pump handle. she's like linda mccartney to paul mccartney, injecting herself fairly pointlessly into her husband's fame as though she has any relevance there.

holden
09-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Bingo!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/antsaoi/Photoshops/Mine/KOTH.jpg

Very nice!!!

Future Proof
09-02-2008, 10:33 AM

see the difference?

It's all just double-standards from a bunch of party supporters watching the race deep-six on them. They take offense when people raise questions about this pregnancy, but have never been unwilling or ashamed to call others in similar situations sinners (or worse, usually worse). I wonder what fat, necrotic puss-bag Falwell would've had to say about this. Is Pat Robertson still around? There's 2 right there that are completely painted into a corner, because they either have to lambaste the GOP VP pick (bad) or exonerate her, and therefore go against decades of spew from their judgemental perch (worse).

It's truly a dirty tactic from what are supposed to be a lot of moral, "high-ground" people. I think Obama did the best thing when decreeing that Bristol Palin's pregnancy was off-limits -- the media will still pursue it (and other questionable things) while the Obama campaign can just hold its hands up and say "What? We told them no, they didn't listen!"

I'm shocked at how well Sarah Palin's coming out of this, but I'm equally impressed at how well Obama will come out as well, since he's spoken against attacking Palin's family. Politics is funny like that.

Sean
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
So I just got back last night from a little over a week in Bermuda. We watched a tiny bit of news here and there - mainly just a few of the big speeches from the Democratic convention, and then Palin being selected for VP, but I'm just now catching up on all of this. Un-be-lievable.

So in McCain's first "Presidential" decision, this is who he chooses? Clearly he's in a tough spot, having to try to soothe his conservative base while also trying to entice independents, but really? He's blown his entire "dangerously inexperienced" line of attack on Obama out of the water. He's insulted a huge portion of the female vote by assuming that all it takes to get their support is a pair of breasts and a vagina. He's invited a bucket-load of unfolding scandal into his ticket. He's alienated independents who don't feel a rush of inspiration from watching Palin shooting machine guns, hearing her positions on abortion, or her not-so-well-informed understanding of the pledge....I'm just floored.

And I also believe that it's important to consider McCain's history with skin cancer and the simple fact that someone around 70 years old is more susceptible to numerous ailments than someone around 50 is. It shouldn't be the deciding factor, but it would be irresponsible not to consider in selecting a VP. And frankly, it doesn't seem to me that this was considered. So far, Palin doesn't strike me as someone I'd be comfortable with at the healm of our government.

So I don't know. It's a ton to absorb on my first day back from the tropical island, but it certainly seems like a bonehead choice to me....

gambit
09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
It's all just double-standards from a bunch of party supporters watching the race deep-six on them. They take offense when people raise questions about this pregnancy, but have never been unwilling or ashamed to call others in similar situations sinners (or worse, usually worse). I wonder what fat, necrotic puss-bag Falwell would've had to say about this. Is Pat Robertson still around? There's 2 right there that are completely painted into a corner, because they either have to lambaste the GOP VP pick (bad) or exonerate her, and therefore go against decades of spew from their judgemental perch (worse).

It's truly a dirty tactic from what are supposed to be a lot of moral, "high-ground" people. I think Obama did the best thing when decreeing that Bristol Palin's pregnancy was off-limits -- the media will still pursue it (and other questionable things) while the Obama campaign can just hold its hands up and say "What? We told them no, they didn't listen!"

I'm shocked at how well Sarah Palin's coming out of this, but I'm equally impressed at how well Obama will come out as well, since he's spoken against attacking Palin's family. Politics is funny like that.I just happened to be watching CNN right after they did a news story on Palin's daughter's teen pregnancy, and they had a small panel that included Bill Bennett. All he did was huff and puff and chastise CNN for running the story and reitirate what Obama said that families are off limits.

kagenaki koe
09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Chuck, let's just call it what it is: A farce. If Americans fall for this one...we fucking deserve what we get. Even if that means John McCain dies of a stroke and we wind up with a petty, ruler-of-bumfuck-nowhere, former-almost-beauty-queen running this place.

i was having a long debate with my friend last night. and he basically believes that Obama will have a hard time beating McCain AND that the Palin pick was a smart move since it will win him women's votes.

so yeah, there are people that WILL fall for this one (even as i point out facts and logic, they just respond back with "oh you're just listening to a lot of media bias...")

cacophony
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
i wonder how independent the independent vote really is. we're all speculating about whether this selection will really win or lose voters but i'm not sure it makes a huge difference in the end. it seems like most people tend to lean one way or another, and ultimately once people are in the booth i'm not sure they really stray from their initial gut reaction.

think about how low bush's approval rating was in the last election. but when it really came down to it people started saying, "eh, i don't know if we should change horses mid-stream." it wasn't so much the issues or the record of performance.

in the end i think the extreme right-wingers were never really a risk. and for obama the clinton backers were never really a risk. come election day people are going to root for their team the way they always do. i don't think palin is going to make or break this campaign because ultimately the majority of people aren't going to cross party lines once they're sealed in the voting booth. it's going to be, "this isn't my first choice but it's better than voting for that other guy."

dubman
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
i wonder how independent the independent vote really is. we're all speculating about whether this selection will really win or lose voters but i'm not sure it makes a huge difference in the end. it seems like most people tend to lean one way or another, and ultimately once people are in the booth i'm not sure they really stray from their initial gut reaction.

think about how low bush's approval rating was in the last election. but when it really came down to it people started saying, "eh, i don't know if we should change horses mid-stream." it wasn't so much the issues or the record of performance.

in the end i think the extreme right-wingers were never really a risk. and for obama the clinton backers were never really a risk. come election day people are going to root for their team the way they always do. i don't think palin is going to make or break this campaign because ultimately the majority of people aren't going to cross party lines once they're sealed in the voting booth. it's going to be, "this isn't my first choice but it's better than voting for that other guy."

i agree, like, 7000% with his post. people are already basically in their slots by now, though i get the impression it took much longer than usual. still, things are set, and the only danger with this is that mccain might have actually pissed a few people off with this stunt. but the only thing swinging anyone at this point are the major embarassments that managers point out to days, months, or several years after the election and say "thats what started to/finally/outright killed it." losing candidates commonly have that moment where they reach a certain pinnacle of goofiness and do something that makes the well-maybe-i-would vote swing towards their base instinct.
if this happens to obama we might see it in the debates. if mccain loses (something i still think is an 80% certainty) it will be the palin pick.

stimpee
09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/juneau.jpghttp://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/juneau.jpgPhotoshops/Mine/KOTH.jpg

Sean
09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
i wonder how independent the independent vote really is. we're all speculating about whether this selection will really win or lose voters but i'm not sure it makes a huge difference in the end. it seems like most people tend to lean one way or another, and ultimately once people are in the booth i'm not sure they really stray from their initial gut reaction.Speaking as a registered independent, I can say that Palin's extreme positions are extremely off-putting. For instance, I recognize the value of teaching abstinence, but not at the exclusion of sex education. And I have mixed feelings on the right to bear arms in that there are realistic reasons to need a gun for people living in certain areas of the country, but I'm not pleased to see video of Palin enjoying machine gun target practice. So I tend to think that McCain's behavior as of late (and VP choice) will be concerning to many center-leaning independents, and that he's probably driving many of them to Obama's camp.

cacophony
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
but honestly, haven't you been leaning more towards obama than mccain this whole time?

cured
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
A news piece on Palin that deals with a lot of the issues surrounding her:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YadR6qNTjzU

kagenaki koe
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
you know what i think would be icing on the cake? Bristol's babydaddy changes his mind and leaves. now that would be some drama!

cured
09-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Palin's message to the Alaskan Independence Party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI

Deckard
09-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Palin in a talk to the church congregation on the Iraq War:

"[Pray] for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God....That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Palin, in supporting a $30 billion Alaskan national gas pipeline project:

"I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that."

Exactly the kind of "thinking" the world could do without right now.

Sean
09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
but honestly, haven't you been leaning more towards obama than mccain this whole time?Absolutely. But setting aside the Presidential candidates and looking at the VP picks on their own merits - specifically as the folks who'll have to step up if something happens to the President - I find Biden a far more desirable alternative to Palin.

Palin in a talk to the church congregation on the Iraq War:

"[Pray] for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God....That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Palin, in supporting a $30 billion Alaskan national gas pipeline project:

"I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that."

Exactly the kind of "thinking" the world could do without right now.Ugh. And as an atheist, I'm getting sick of all the "God bless America" talk at the end of every single speech, both Republican and Democratic. Everyone's seeing who can out-god each other. :rolleyes:

cacophony
09-03-2008, 08:27 AM
well it's working on someone. because my hyper-religious texan in-laws have suddenly burst into a flurry of "why god is awesome" spam emails. it's an increase of fervor that's picked up just since this weekend.

i received one today explaining how different vegetables resemble different parts of the human body, and thus proves intelligent design. did you know the cross-section of a carrot looks like the human eye?? :eek:

that's when i hit "delete."

mmm skyscraper
09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
well it's working on someone. because my hyper-religious texan in-laws have suddenly burst into a flurry of "why god is awesome" spam emails. it's an increase of fervor that's picked up just since this weekend.

i received one today explaining how different vegetables resemble different parts of the human body, and thus proves intelligent design. did you know the cross-section of a carrot looks like the human eye?? :eek:

that's when i hit "delete."

That's when i hit "delete."

That's when it all gets blown away

That's when i hit "delete."

The spirit fights to find its way

gambit
09-03-2008, 09:43 AM
"Dear God, please let that $30 billion gas pipeline project go through so my hubby can make more money. I need more money to buy more guns to shoot those godless mooses. Of course, if it is your will."

cured
09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
She doesn't shoot godless mooses. She shoots left wing, liberal polar bears.

She also snipes activist wolves from helicopters.

kagenaki koe
09-03-2008, 12:57 PM
On Fox News Sunday, McCain said Palin knows what it means to lead troops.

"She has been commander-in-chief of the Alaska Guard," McCain said.

Governors decide when and how to deploy the guard to help in natural disasters...They also can use the guard to control civil unrest.

it's obvious she knows how to lead troops since Alaska has been besieged with natural disasters and emergencies over the last 2 years. and those alaskans are a riotous bunch.

cacophony
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
plus, the ever-present threat of russkies.

gambit
09-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Wait wait wait! Rudy Giuliani vouches for her! (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CVN_NEW_YORK_V_WASILLA?SITE=ALMON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

In an interview Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Giuliani was asked, "If she were the president on 9/11, you would have been confident?"

Giuliani responded: "I'd be confident that she'd be able to handle it. She's been a governor of a state, she's been mayor of a city."

It is a defense of Palin that grew to a crescendo on Wednesday in the hours before the Alaska governor was set to give a speech at the Republican National Convention.

"Sorry, Sen. Obama, if the city's not big enough for you," Giuliani cracked later in the day during a luncheon with the New York delegation at a Minneapolis hotel. "She was mayor for eight years of a city - I'll tell you one thing, when I was mayor of New York, sometimes I felt like I was mayor of a small town."LOL. I'm practically quoting the entire article here, but the comparison this article gave is just hilarious.
But the city known as the historic gateway to the New World has little in common with a town that grew up as the railroad gateway to a mining district.

Wasilla is 85 percent white, 5 percent American Indian, 4 percent Hispanic, 1 percent Asian and less than 1 percent black, according to 2000 Census figures. New York City is 43 percent white, 27 percent Hispanic, 25 percent black and 12 percent Asian.

The mayor of New York City oversees an emergency service force that includes 37,000 police officers and 11,000 firefighters, while the Wasilla mayor is responsible for 21 officers and doesn't have to worry about fire services.

The borough, which is like a county, handles that.

The borough also handles the school system, ambulance services and public transportation, mainly a fleet of 20 buses in the area.

But the Wasilla mayor does have to battle and negotiate with a City Council, just like Giuliani did for eight years.

A City Council of six, compared with New York City's 51.

But Palin balanced Wasilla's budget, Republicans say. Certainly New York City mayors know how hard that is - ever since the fiscal crisis of the 1970s, they have been required by law to balance the budget.

This year, Mayor Michael Bloomberg wrestled to do just that, rolling over a surplus from last fiscal year and keeping spending flat. The city's total budget for this fiscal year? $59 billion.

Wasilla's budget is what New York City's eats for breakfast - $13 million in fiscal 2008.

As far as crime goes in Wasilla, there were no murders, 7 robberies and 4 rapes in 2005, the latest year for which state figures were available.

There were 7 murders, 460 robberies and 39 rapes in New York City. Last week.Oh yeah, they're practically the same.

gambit
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
And her husband was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CVN_PALIN_POLITICS?SITE=ALMON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT) which sought to, well, gain Alaskan Independence from the U.S. I guess the Republican's have to start questioning their patriotism now, huh?

kagenaki koe
09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
what does 1% Asian and less than 1% black population even mean? there's 1 asian and 1 mixed guy in town?

larry king had a discussion with DL hughley and Jesse Ventura (and some other lady i dont know). DL made a comment "is the republican party just made up of really old white men?" and then i thought maybe Palin is McCain's only way to counter that perception considering the DNC's first day showed Obama's kids being cute.

another good comment was by Ventura when he said Republicans ridiculed a war veteran in 2004, and now their pimping a war veteran in 2008.

gambit
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
They have one token black guy.

Deckard
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Good to see Fox News suddenly giving front page treatment to the issue of sexism in the media:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2i0uaf5.jpg

Because Fox cares.....

Deckard
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Two top GOP pundits caught on tape: Palin is "political bullshit" ... "it's over" (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/03/peggy-noonan-mike-murphy_n_123647.html)

haha-oops!

After ALL this catalogue of stuff, I won't be surprised if her speech goes much better than expected, if only because the bar has been set so damn low. Expect a narrative of one 'smalltown' woman's fightback against the liberal establishment (where's Don LaFontaine when you need him... )

Meanwhile, some funny stuff has been assembled by the not-exactly-liberal Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/digitallife/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/09/03/dlpalin103.xml).

And an alternative McCain-sided viewpoint from the same paper can be found here:
Sarah Palin gets the spiteful Margaret Thatcher treatment (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/09/04/do0404.xml)

Deckard
09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Have media crossed the sexism line? (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13129.html)

Of course they have. The mistake though would be to claim "this is all just the sexist media". The GOP will do their damndest to deflect it that way, and bury any legitimate discussion.

From the same piece...

Just last spring, Palin herself scoffed when Hillary Clinton’s campaign complained about a double standard in coverage.

“When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism, or maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, 'Man, that doesn't do us any good, women in politics, or women in general, trying to progress this country,' ” Palin said.

cured
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Spoiler for tonight: bits of Palin's speech have been leaked.

On her experience as a public servant:

"I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town. I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids’ public education better. When I ran for city council, I didn’t need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a ‘community organizer,’ except that you have actual responsibilities."

On why she is going to Washington, D.C.:

"I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But here’s a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

On energy policies that the McCain-Palin administration will implement:

"Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America’s energy problems - as if we all didn’t know that already. But the fact that drilling won’t solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all. Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to lay more pipelines...build more nuclear plants...create jobs with clean coal...and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources. We need American energy resources, brought to you by American ingenuity, and produced by American workers."

On John McCain:

"Here’s how I look at the choice Americans face in this election. In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

Future Proof
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Two top GOP pundits caught on tape: Palin is "political bullshit" ... "it's over" (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/03/peggy-noonan-mike-murphy_n_123647.html)

haha-oops!

Well, I suppose that I could make a statement about reporters being unbiased or whatever but hey, they didn't know the camera was rolling. And you can't expect these guys to not have their own opinions.

A shame, they'll be lucky to not get fired.

kagenaki koe
09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
they want to cut Sarah's nuts off:D

dubman
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Well, I suppose that I could make a statement about reporters being unbiased or whatever but hey, they didn't know the camera was rolling. And you can't expect these guys to not have their own opinions.

A shame, they'll be lucky to not get fired.

peggy noonan?
no, she's not getting fired.

as for these excepts, well... it seems to open up a laundry list for dems to blast against. a community organizer that pursues personal agendas, tries a little book banning and threatens peoples jobs if they're not on her boat? you abuse your power when running a town of less than 10000 what kind of BS is running through your head when you're second in command of the whole country?
the rest is just empty soundbite crap, which is fine for hyping and woo-hooing in their own con, but she'll be asked to expand on all this "helping people" later.
carreer of change? he's an ornery fusspot that'll raise an issue once every other year (that gets substantially watered down and accepted).
building pipelines while paying lip service to clean fuel and solar power? we'll fuck around with nature and also try to preserve it. noice.

we havent heard the non-mic-friendly bits yet, and there's a host of things to rebuke already....

kagenaki koe
09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
if this thing is true, then McSame just annointed one of the most corrupt politician to the second most powerful position in america (some of these have been out there before, but this one is detailed as hell):

http://my2bucks.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/a-letter-from-someone-who-has-known-sarah-palin-since-1992/

During her mayoral administration most of the actual work of running this small city was turned over to an administrator. She had been pushed to hire this administrator by party power-brokers after she had gotten herself into some trouble over precipitous firings which had given rise to a recall campaign.

The huge increases in tax revenues during her mayoral administration weren’t enough to fund everything on her wish list though, borrowed money was needed, too. She inherited a city with zero debt, but left it with indebtedness of over $22 million. What did Mayor Palin encourage the voters to borrow money for? Was it the infrastructure that she said she supported? The sewage treatment plant that the city lacked? or a new library? No. $1m for a park. $15m-plus for construction of a multi-use sports complex which she rushed through to build on a piece of property that the City didn’t even have clear title to, that was still in litigation 7 yrs later–to the delight of the lawyers involved

Sarah complained about the “old boy’s club” when she first ran for Mayor, so what did she bring Wasilla? A new set of “old boys”. Palin fired most of the experienced staff she inherited. At the City and as Governor she hired or elevated new, inexperienced, obscure people, creating a staff totally dependent on her for their jobs and eternally grateful and fiercely loyal–loyal to the point of abusing their power to further her personal agenda, as she has acknowledged happened in the case of pressuring the State’s top cop (see below).

cured
09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I read that, too. I read Andrew Sullivan's blog and he's livid about how bad this pick was.

http://www.andrewsullivan.com

The weird part of this was, as mayor, she hired a Washington lobbyist to fight for earmarks for her city. A town of 6,000 needs a lobbyist??

gambit
09-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Sadly, she sounds a lot like the Bush administration. So she'd fit right in on day one.

Deckard
09-04-2008, 10:09 AM
On Romney's 'borderline insane' speech:
Mitt Romney seems to use the word "liberal" in a randomly pejorative fashion. I half expect him to say "I was eating breakfast this morning, and my hash browns were all liberal. I sent them back and told the waitress to bring me some good, conservative hash browns."

Hahahaha!

IsiliRunite
09-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I was philosophically turned off from last night's speech.

cacophony
09-05-2008, 06:41 AM
it's as though republicans forget that videotape exists. (http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=184086&title=sarah-palin-gender-card)

Sean
09-05-2008, 07:31 AM
it's as though republicans forget that videotape exists. (http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=184086&title=sarah-palin-gender-card)
The Daily Show really is doing the work that the "legitimate" news isn't....:rolleyes:

Troy McClure
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Below is a strange campaign strategy. If it is to tend to family stuff, fine, but considering how Gov. Palin energized the Republican base, I would think that you would want to run with that.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Back_to_Alaska.html

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh-HFZ8I_0Y

--Jason

cacophony
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
lollerskates

Palin Makes Her First Gaffe (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/08/palin-makes-her-first-gaf_n_124792.html)

Gov. Sarah Palin made her first potentially major gaffe during her time on the national scene while discussing the developments of the perilous housing market this past weekend.

Speaking before voters in Colorado Springs, the Republican vice presidential nominee claimed that lending giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had "gotten too big and too expensive to the taxpayers." The companies, as McClatchy reported, "aren't taxpayer funded but operate as private companies. The takeover may result in a taxpayer bailout during reorganization."

Economists and analysts pounced on the misstatement, saying it demonstrated a lack of understanding about one of the key economic issues likely to face the next administration.

"You would like to think that someone who is going to be vice president and conceivable president would know what Fannie and Freddie do," said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research. "These are huge institutions and they are absolutely central to our country's mortgage debt. To not have a clue what they do doesn't speak well for her, I'd say."

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
lollerskates

Butt, don't be surprised if this has no impact what-so-ever.

Sean
09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow. Not only do I understand jOHN's reply - I also agree with it! :D

I reserve a tiny sliver of hope that this will be pointed at by the mainstream media as an example of Palin's lack of qualifications to be VP, but I'm pretty certain that the Republicans will claim that questioning this statement is somehow demeaning to Palin as a woman, and it'll drop out of the news pretty quickly.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-08-2008, 02:24 PM

I reserve a tiny sliver of hope that this will be pointed at by the mainstream media as an example of Palin's lack of qualifications to be VP, but I'm pretty certain that the Republicans will claim that questioning this statement is somehow demeaning to Palin as a woman, and it'll drop out of the news pretty quickly.

kidls, soithk u sldokm?

Sarcasmo
09-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Fuckin' sexist pig.;)

Deckard
09-09-2008, 07:52 AM
One word:

Rednecks.

We represent at least a third of all voters and no US president has ever been elected without our support.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7600000/7600592.stm

And that is one of the reasons that, mystifying as it is to the outside world, John McCain's choice of the moose-shooting Alaskan woman with the pregnant unmarried teen daughter appeals to many redneck and working class Americans.

*shudder*

That word 'elitist' is getting a LOT of air time this election. Palin will milk that for everything it's worth.

Sean
09-09-2008, 08:47 AM
One word:

Rednecks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7600000/7600592.stm

*shudder*

That word 'elitist' is getting a LOT of air time this election. Palin will milk that for everything it's worth.Yeah, that sounds about accurate to me. Although the author omits a glaring consideration in this election for a good portion of rednecks, which is racism.

I'm not trying to play any race-card here, I'm just acknowledging what I've seen with my own eyes. I've watched my wife - a beautiful woman who's heritage is Korean, and who was born and raised in the Baltimore area, then moved with her family to L.A. when she was in her teens - be on the receiving end of racist comments and gestures for literally no reason. I've seen the stretched-eye gesture thrown her way, I've heard people yell "go back to your country", and on and on. And the most surprising thing about that is, it's all happened in either L.A., or the liberal state I grew up in, Massachusetts. And of course she had to listen to taunts of "ching-chong-ching" throughout her childhood, but it's the contemporary, adult examples that have floored me the most.

So I can only imagine what the reaction to a black nominee for president in the deep south is. I mean, just today, this article (http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080908/ap_on_el_pr/college_republicans_obama) came out. Here's an excerpt:

Adam LaDuca, 21, the former executive director of the Pennsylvania Federation of College Republicans, wrote on his Facebook page in late July that Obama has "a pair of lips so large he could float half of Cuba to the shores of Miami (and probably would.)"

LaDuca, who previously had called Martin Luther King Jr. a "pariah" and a "fraud," also wrote: "And man, if sayin' someone has large lips is a racial slur, then we're ALL in trouble."

It's a huge obstacle, and Obama has been admirable in his handling of the situation - especially when compared directly with the cries of sexism the Republicans are shouting in regards to Palin.

dubman
09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
yeah i think gaffes like this only make an impact if they accumulate to form the impression of woeful ineptitude.

IsiliRunite
09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Its very easy to rile support from the poor by denouncing the faceless, irresponsible, soulless rich! :D

I think Governor status of Alaska might be false reputation not only among voters, but also misleading experience for her own confidence if she were elected office. Its apples and pomegranates between Alaska and the federal district...

Sean
09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Palin certainly has balls (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/09/palin-stays-firm-on-bridge-to-nowhere-claim/#comments).

LEBANON, Ohio (CNN) – Sarah Palin refuses to yield on her claim that she opposed the infamous Bridge to Nowhere earmark, despite charges by the Obama campaign that her assertion is a "lie."

"I told Congress thanks but no thanks for that Bridge to Nowhere," Palin said Tuesday in Lebanon, Ohio.

Though Palin recently came out against the completion of the Gravina Island Bridge, she initially supported the project as governor before it became a national symbol of wasteful pork barrel spending. In 2007, Palin’s office cancelled work on the bridge, but Alaska still kept the federal funds that were allocated for state transportation projects.

In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in earmarks, and in a Fairbanks newspaper column earlier this year, she wrote that federal monies, including earmarks, are “incredibly important” to the state. Palin also helped secure millions of dollars in federal money for her hometown of Wasilla while she was mayor.

Nevertheless, Palin told the outdoor audience in Ohio — many of whom came out in spite of the rain – that she was a champion of earmark reform in Alaska.

And from a new Wall Street Journal article:

Why is this one issue (earmarks) such a big deal? Sen. McCain's anti-earmarks stance has been paramount to his campaign. The Arizona senator has blamed everything from the Minneapolis bridge collapse to Hurricane Katrina on Congress's willingness to stuff bills full of pork barrel spending.

As such, Gov. Palin's image as a "reformer" is part of the storyline the McCain campaign needs to complement the top of its ticket. Her quip about passing on the bridge and "building it ourselves" has been a staple of her stump....

.....At a rally today, Sen. McCain again asserted that Sen. Obama has requested nearly a billion in earmarks. In fact, the Illinois senator requested $311 million last year, according to the Associated Press, and none this year. In comparison, Gov. Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.

Clearly, the Republicans are absolutely right and truthful about at least one thing - for many people, this election will not be about the issues. If it was, Palin would be getting laughed back to Alaska by all....

cacophony
09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
wait a second! YOU MEAN I'M NOT SEXIST AFTER ALL?!?!?!

Men's support gives Palin edge in latest poll (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/09/palin.poll/index.html)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- When it comes to support for Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, a new national poll suggests men and women don't see eye to eye.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey out Tuesday indicates that 62 percent of men questioned have a favorable opinion of the Alaska governor, nine points higher than women.

In the poll, conducted Friday through Sunday, entirely after the end of the Republican convention, 23 percent of men have an unfavorable view of Sen. John McCain's running mate, seven points lower than women.

The gender gap is also apparent when it comes to whether Palin is qualified to serve as president. Fifty-seven percent of male respondents said Palin was qualified, 14 points higher than women. A majority of women polled, 55 percent, said Palin is not qualified.

Overall, 50 percent of all respondents think Palin is qualified to serve as president, compared with 70 percent who see the Democratic nominee for vice president, Sen. Joe Biden, as qualified. Video Watch how Palin is boosting McCain's campaign »

Is it fair to raise questions about her experience?

"A majority of women say yes, but it's close; men are slightly less likely to see those questions as fair game," said CNN polling director Keating Holland.

Overall, 50 percent of those polled say criticism of Palin is fair, with 45 percent saying it's only because she is a woman. iReport.com: Share your thoughts on Palin

In 1984, when Democratic Rep. Geraldine Ferraro of New York became the first female running mate on a major party ticket, only 27 percent said criticism of her was fair.

In the current poll, 57 percent overall had a favorable opinion of Palin, six points higher than Biden.

What would happen if Americans could cast separate votes for president and vice president?

Palin would top Biden "by a 53 to 44 percent margin, based largely on the votes of men," Holland said.
advertisement

"In a hypothetical race with no running mates, [Sen. Barack] Obama gets 49 percent and McCain gets 48 percent," he said. "In the real world, the McCain/Palin ticket and the Obama/Biden ticket are tied at 48 percent apiece, indicating that the running mates bring virtually no votes to the ticket by themselves."

Poll-takers questioned 1,022 people by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.i bolded the part that made my brain melt and fall out of my ear.

i think we'll see some of these numbers drop off after we clear the post-convention bounce.

cacophony
09-09-2008, 11:33 AM
actually, this may have been more suitable in this thread. (http://www.darktrain.org/dirty/forums/showpost.php?p=101568&postcount=16)

dubman
09-09-2008, 03:46 PM
fixed!

gee you mean to tell me that it's mostly dudes who are all about this BODACIOUS BABE WITH GUNS AND GOD AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU JUST HATE THE WRONG KIND OF WOMAN???

gooooooo figure.

i dont see palins figures going down much, sadly. once the republicans have their teeth sunk into a tactic they wont let go and they'll push it as hard as they can. it's going to take a lot of missteps if the popular impression of palin as a game-changer is finally going to fall to "wtf is this campaign thinking" status that should have always been there.

kagenaki koe
09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
this is a great example of how to be a Reformer, Palin style:

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Palin_promotes_general_after_he_changes_0909.html

quick summary: Major General Campbell says that Palin does not have much of a role in the National Guard on Sep. 3, then 2 days later changes his entire stance, then gets a nice promotion afterwards.

cacophony
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
i hit my saturation point today. we need to get into the presidential candidate debates. since the conventions too much conversation has revolved around the VP candidates. we're all losing focus. the VP isn't where the game is played. we need to remember that the buck stops at the presidency and get back to talking about obama vs mccain.

Deckard
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Hear hear.

gambit
09-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I concur 15,000,000%. Actually, I'm getting sick and fucking tired of Sarah Palin. There are too many inconsistencies, corruptions, and outright lies that I feel like my brain's going to explode. Fuck, I just want to see her respond to questions and not just regurgitate everything she said back in the RNC.

Sarcasmo
09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, get used to it, because the McCain campaign strategy is to keep Palin on notes cribbed from her RNC speech. I'm assuming it's to avoid the same kinds of gaffes she made about Fannie/Freddie until they can bring her up to speed enough so that she doesn't make a complete ass of herself.

There's nothing to be said about the VP portion of the race until after the first debate, IMO.

One thing that's been bothering me about Obama as of late is the way he deflects questions and booing about Sarah Palin

(because I'm too stupid to know how to put it in properly)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_el_pr/obama_lipstick;_ylt=AthtfojfM4pCeu69DEbZoeKs0NUE

"What's the difference between the presidential campaign before and after the national political conventions? Lipstick. The colorful cosmetic has become a political buzzword, thanks to Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's joke in her acceptance speech that lipstick is the only thing that separates a hockey mom like her from a pit bull.
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama told an audience Tuesday that GOP presidential nominee John McCain says he'll change Washington, but he's just like President Bush.
"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said to an outbreak of laughter, shouts and raucous applause from his audience, clearly drawing a connection to Palin's joke even if it's not what Obama meant. "It's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years."
McCain's campaign called the comments "offensive and disgraceful" and said Obama owes Palin an apology. Obama's campaign said he wasn't referring to Palin and said the GOP camp was engaging in a "pathetic attempt to play the gender card." Obama's camp also noted that McCain once used the same phrase to describe Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan."

Whether or not it was a innocent slip up (guarantee it wasn't) I see it as kind of a cheap shot, and that bothers me, because when McCain said it, I was pissed that McCain had been so tasteless. These kinds of statements are absolutely calculated when they're applied this way.

"'Look, she's new, she hasn't been on the scene, she's got five kids. And my hat goes off to anybody whose looking after five. I've got two and they tire Michelle and me out,' he said."

Why not just pat her on the head and tell her if she gets tired, she can go right back to being mommy homemaker? I find statements like this pretty damned condescending.

dubman
09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
i think the pig reference was pretty fun actually. mccain dropped it about romney and it's not like it wasnt true, and the lipstick add-on by obama was a dig at palin's stupid-ass speech and calling out mccain on exactly what he did: toss a woman in there just to generate buzz and use her gender as an election stump.

if i didnt agree with cacophony that the VP apoplectics need to stop, i'd say obama should have dodged this hedging and called him out directly for being so goddamn cynical and insulting. but it's a little late now and things are definitely losing focus.

that last bit about the kids was weird though. whats the point of *that* one?

gambit
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/09/1370479.aspx

Before we get all up in a huff and puff, let's read what came before the "You can put lipstick on a pig" line.

"John McCain says he’s about change too, and so I guess his whole angle is ‘Watch out George Bush -- except for economic policy, health-care policy, tax policy, education, policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove style politics -- we’re really going to shake things up in Washington,'" Obama said today at a town hall in Lebanon, VA.

He then added, "That's not change. That's just calling the same thing something different. But you know, you can ... put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig. You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper and call it change; it's still going to stink. After eight years, we've had enough of the same old thing. It's time to bring about real change to Washington."Obama never actually mentioned Palin's name in this portion of his speech. It wasn't even directed towards her.

Deckard
09-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Obama didn't need to mention her.

Unless McCain has started wearing lipstick, I'd say the double-meaning is shouting out. Yes, it's same old Republican policy trying to come across as change. And it's... oh, look, hahahaha, Sarah Palin with lipstick... as a PIG!!!

Cmon, it's obvious! It 'worked' because it had two readings in this instance - the safe one, and the risque one. Though of course in the overall scheme of things, this kind of remark won't 'work'. And the Dems had better watch out, because the Republicans are going to be chasing the moral high ground like this for the whole campaign from now on. Even Biden will not be immune. (Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low' (http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/09/biden.special.needs/index.html))

Paw widdle Wepublicans. Democrats should be ashamed of themselves. They don't caaaare...... :rolleyes:

Troy McClure
09-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Dick Cheney said the same thing campaigning against John Kerry back in 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjwVEeq7JiQ

Here's what McCain said about Romney last December:
"Never get into a wrestling match with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

McCain called Senator Clinton's health care plan during her presidential campaign similar to the one she talked about while first lady in 1993.
“I think they put some lipstick on a pig,” he said, “but it’s still a pig.”

Google PWNS!

Deckard
09-10-2008, 02:38 AM
The difference is that we have a woman in this campaign who has now specifically referenced lipstick. The moment she did that, any subsequent references to pigs and lipstick became loaded. We can't pretend she didn't say it, or that the reference doesn't now carry the danger of being viewed as a personal attack, and even a sexist attack. That might be unfair, but it's just the way it is.

What I'm saying is that it would be disingenuous for anyone to pretend that the pig/lipstick jibe now didn't work on two levels, even if one was unintentional (which btw, in all likelihood it wouldn't be, because every politico/journo heard Palin define herself by that rottweiler/lipstick comment at the convention).

You and I and everyone else here accepts that a pig/lipstick reference in 2008 should be just as valid as one in 2004, but that's not the point. The point is that the Dems will have it used against them in 2008 because of what Palin said. And that's why the Dems need to tread careful.

If I credited him with as much intelligence, I'd almost be tempted to put the original 'rottweiler with lipstick' line down to Rove. Actually, I don't doubt his deviousness, but I suspect this is just one of those unforeseen outcomes....

Strangelet
09-10-2008, 07:21 AM
UPDATE: The McCain campaign quickly struck back convening a conference call with reporters and former Mass. Gov. Jane Swift to paint the common expression as a sexist jab at Palin. “As far as I know there is only one candidate in this contest who wears lipstick,” Swift said.

america is a fucking circus.

Deckard
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Just to lump it on thick...

Remember Barack Obama? Time was, you couldn't turn on the television or open a newspaper without seeing our next president - for that was how we thought of him, in those days. But lately the man with the striped ties and the big ears has been more difficult to find in the American mediascape. On Sunday, Obama gave a wide-ranging interview to one of the morning talkshows, in which he offered a thoughtful, complex assessment of the Iraq surge and discussed how rising unemployment and the Fannie-Freddie bailout might change his economic plans. What crumb did the wire services seize upon? A throwaway line about basketball: "Obama offers Palin a game of hoops."

Sarah Palin's war against information. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/10/uselections2008.sarahpalin)
By avoiding the media and dismissing criticisms as sexist, Sarah Palin hopes to avoid scrutiny of her record.

John McCain's running mate might be avoiding the press, but Sarah Palin is everywhere - on the covers of Time and Newsweek, not to mention People and Us Weekly.
Yeah, and I switched on the news this morning to see these (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7607497.stm).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and one more :rolleyes:

BeautifulBurnout
09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I am avoiding commenting on this thread because I can't think of anything to say that would avoid a whole lot of very nasty swearwords about this person. I was sick of her the first time I saw her. At least McCain has some kind of experience to hang his right-wing views on. She has nothing except prejudice and dogma to rely on. Makes me barf.

I might buy one of those dolls, though... and a pack of pins....:D

Sean
09-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I have gotta say that I'm shocked to see people here asserting that the "lipstick on a pig" comment was "obviously" directed at Sarah Palin. I mean seriously, was Obama anticipating Sarah Palin in this other instance where he used it last September?

"I think that both Gen. [David] Petraeus and Ambassador [Ryan] Crocker are capable people who have been given an impossible assignment," Obama told the Post. "George Bush has given a mission to Gen. Petraeus, and he has done his best to try to figure out how to put lipstick on a pig."

Does this mean that last September, Obama thought that Bush was wearing lipstick? It's a euphemism, like saying "you can polish a turd...", or whatever other one you choose. And had he used "polish a turd...", would that mean he was calling McCain and Palin "turds?" The goal of euphemisms is to make a point without being literal. I mean, I expect some hard-core conservatives to see this supposed "controversy" in a literal way...hell, a frighteningly large portion of them take stories in the bible literally despite pesky things like "facts" or "science" or "evolution". But frankly, the fact that this fabricated indignation from the McCain camp is gaining such wide traction scares the shit out of me. Seriously - the Repubs have been calling every single question about or criticism of Palin "sexist", just hoping that at some point, it might stick. And this is it? This is what reverberates with people? :eek::confused:

Now do the Democrats have to be careful in the face of these b.s. "sexist" charges from Republicans? Absolutely. I'll bet large sums of money that you won't hear Obama use this euphemism any more. But saying that this was a deliberate swipe at Palin just doesn't hold water to me. At all. In any way. Maybe it would if the McCain camp hadn't been calling virtually every reference to Palin "sexist", or if Obama had never used this euphemism before, or if the context of the statement was even remotely directed at Palin, or if Obama had a history of name-calling. But those are all hypotheticals that don't apply, so as far as I'm concerned, this whole "story" is a non-issue.

Deckard
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't believe it was intended by Obama as an attempt at likening Palin to a pig. Course not - from everything I've seen of him, that's not his style. (...sweetie ;) ) But I do feel that he should have been savvy enough to see that using that phrase after Palin's lipstick pit-bull analogy - and not paying attention to the new interpretation that was now open to be gauged from that - would be asking for trouble.

The whole kerfuffle is a stupid great big pile of poo, but there you go.....

gambit
09-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I'll just say that yes, Obama could've used better words, and leave it at that.

Sean
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't believe it was intended by Obama as an attempt at likening Palin to a pig. Course not - from everything I've seen of him, that's not his style. (...sweetie ;) ) But I do feel that he should have been savvy enough to see that using that phrase after Palin's lipstick pit-bull analogy - and not paying attention to the new interpretation that was now open to be gauged from that - would be asking for trouble.

The whole kerfuffle is a stupid great big pile of poo, but there you go.....That's a valid point given the tact the McCain camp has been taking over the last couple months. And at the same time, I wonder if many people see this controversy as further evidence that the McCain camp is not just constantly punching, but is constantly punching below the belt. Probably not enough to make the risks and consequences worth it. But the McCain camp's low-class campaign is truly exceeding my expectations. I so used to think he was better than this....:(

And by the way - excellent use of "kerfuffle".

Strangelet
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM

The whole kerfuffle is a stupid great big pile of poo, but there you go.....

Agreed, but in the back of my mind, I would personally like to see more freedom of expression by the candidates, and judgment placed on the truth value of the meaning, not through dishonest filtering and dumbing down, but I might just be old fashioned vis a vis current american politics. You shouldn't have to be savvy. YOu should just be able to assert your point. It seems like Mccain is the translator of the big funny harvard words so that the rubes can fully get how insulting Obama really is.

Anyway I think Obama's starting to feel like a sane man in an asylum

Obama said the McCain campaign moved to "seize an innocent remark and take it out of context because they knew it's catnip for the news media."

"See, it would be funny, but the news media decided that would be the lead story yesterday. This happens every election cycle. Every four years, this is what we do. This is what they want to spend two of the last 55 days talking about...Enough!" he said.

Obama called the attacks "lies, outrage and swift boat politics."

"These are serious times and they call for a serious debate...spare me all the phony outrage. Spare me all the phony talk about change," he said.

gambit
09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think the McCain campaign chose Palin largely because they could inoculate her with sexism charges.

kagenaki koe
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
But the McCain camp's low-class campaign is truly exceeding my expectations. I so used to think he was better than this....:(

have you seen McCain's new "Obama wants to teach kindergarten kids Sex" ad?

Sean
09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
have you seen McCain's new "Obama wants to teach kindergarten kids Sex" ad?No, but I've read about it. So freakin' disgusting that he would distort the truth in that way....

gambit
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, McCain has a bunch of Bush guys working on his campaign, and supposedly (according to Countdown) Karl Rove is working on the campaign now.

cacophony
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
i'm disgusted with mccain. he's always been a different sort of politician, but in his desperation to win this contest he's allowing himself to sink to levels that he's always outwardly spoken of as detestable. it's impossible to tell who's coming out ahead at this point, what with the media in full-blown tabloid hysteria mode (which rarely reflects true public interest) but it's making it difficult for me to see a possible win for mccain that won't leave me feeling ashamed of him and our country for falling for these tactics.

i voted for mccain in the michigan republican primaries during his first run against GWB. according to the rules of michigan party politics, as a registered democrat this meant giving up my right to vote in the democratic primary for both that and the next election. i was willing to jump party lines because i believed he was different and really stood for the kinds of ideas he spouted. he was one of a small handful of politicians i actually respected because i felt like he was above these kinds of political machinations.

but at this point it's like he's become twisted. it isn't about winning on his terms, it's about winning by any means necessary. and for me, who used to believe in his integrity, it's a more disgusting display than if it were any other politician.

Sarcasmo
09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, McCain has a bunch of Bush guys working on his campaign, and supposedly (according to Countdown) Karl Rove is working on the campaign now.

Oh, that's just great. Someone wanna ask McCain what a soul is going for nowadays?

gambit
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, and one of those guys was responsible for the "McCain has a black baby" smear of 2000.

Sean
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
i'm disgusted with mccain. he's always been a different sort of politician, but in his desperation to win this contest he's allowing himself to sink to levels that he's always outwardly spoken of as detestable. it's impossible to tell who's coming out ahead at this point, what with the media in full-blown tabloid hysteria mode (which rarely reflects true public interest) but it's making it difficult for me to see a possible win for mccain that won't leave me feeling ashamed of him and our country for falling for these tactics.

i voted for mccain in the michigan republican primaries during his first run against GWB. according to the rules of michigan party politics, as a registered democrat this meant giving up my right to vote in the democratic primary for both that and the next election. i was willing to jump party lines because i believed he was different and really stood for the kinds of ideas he spouted. he was one of a small handful of politicians i actually respected because i felt like he was above these kinds of political machinations.

but at this point it's like he's become twisted. it isn't about winning on his terms, it's about winning by any means necessary. and for me, who used to believe in his integrity, it's a more disgusting display than if it were any other politician.You've just perfectly summed up exactly how I feel about McCain at this point.

I may have said this previously in another thread, but I can't help but think that at some point when this is all over, McCain will look back at how much he compromised his principles in this campaign, and he'll realize what a blight it is on his personal legacy. I can only hope he still has the decency to at least recognize that....

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
(.....) = stars

(......) = uuum, six? What is that number again?

(.......) = opposite the number 6 number

(........) = infinity (x2 for me)

(.........) = kinda like 6, but upside down(according to Hollywood at least)

kagenaki koe
09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I may have said this previously in another thread, but I can't help but think that at some point when this is all over, McCain will look back at how much he compromised his principles in this campaign, and he'll realize what a blight it is on his personal legacy. I can only hope he still has the decency to at least recognize that....

i think it was in the recent Times or Newsweek where they wrote maybe this is the real mccain and not the one from 2000

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
(.....) = stars

(......) = uuum, six? What is that number again?

(.......) = opposite the number 6 number

(........) = infinity (x2 for me)

(.........) = kinda like 6, but upside down(according to Hollywood at least)

Just in case the modershakers get out of hand. Again.

cacophony
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
i think it was in the recent Times or Newsweek where they wrote maybe this is the real mccain and not the one from 2000

i don't know. he really has made a career out of taking a stand on ethical issues even if they set him apart from his party. to say this is suddenly the "real" mccain would mean he's spent decades building up a big scam just to end up flip-flopping in 2008 and showing himself as insincere.

it would be different if he didn't have the record that he has, but you can't deny his record. you don't have to agree with everything he's done but you can't say he's spent his career pandering. that didn't start until GWB needed his endorsement during his re-bid for office. that was when mccain threw in the towel and showed he was willing to be a shill.

Deckard
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Some of Palin's remarks that I quoted earlier....

...our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God....That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan.
"I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built."

ABC tonight released an early transcript of parts of an interview with Palin...

GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

PALIN: But the reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln's words when he said -- first, he suggested never presume to know what God's will is, and I would never presume to know God's will or to speak God's words.

Let me just break here and say hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Ok, continue....
...but what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that's a repeat in my comments, was let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God's side.

That's what that comment was all about, Charlie. //

GIBSON: I take your point about Lincoln's words, but you went on and said, "There is a plan and it is God's plan."

PALIN: I believe that there is a plan for this world and that plan for this world is for good. I believe that there is great hope and great potential for every country to be able to live and be protected with inalienable rights that I believe are God-given, Charlie, and I believe that those are the rights to life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That, in my world view, is a grand -- the grand plan.

GIBSON: But then are you sending your son on a task that is from God?

PALIN: I don't know if the task is from God, Charlie. What I know is that my son has made a decision. I am so proud of his independent and strong decision he has made, what he decided to do and serving for the right reasons and serving something greater than himself and not choosing a real easy path where he could be more comfortable and certainly safer.

Thou shalt tie thyself up in knots....

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
She should blame the slips on medications.

Deckard
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Matt Damon on the rise of Sarah Palin:

a 'really bad Disney movie' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxkrm9uEJk) (YouTube)

S'about right.

kagenaki koe
09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
take Palin's answers with Charlie Gibson, and then listen to McCain's interview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRki_WqUJY

then picture in your mind that there are people out there that will say "they hit it out of the park" with these answers and...whoa i just a felt a chill go down my spine.........

gambit
09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Just got done watching the first part of the interview, and holy fuck, now I just hope she doesn't become VP or President because if I have to hear her speak for any length of time, I'll jam pencils into my ears. I'm not talking about the way she bends and contorts around the questions but her fucking voice. At least Dubya is sorta entertaining when he talks.

Sean
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Here's a good article (http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1840675,00.html) in Time Magazine outlining the investigation into "trooper-gate" - Palin's possibly unethical firing of cops based on a family divorce rather than job performance.

kagenaki koe
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
remember the porn name generator? well now there's a "if sarah palin was your parent" name generator:

http://www.personal-space.com/palin/index.php

she named me Slicer Mission Palin.

Deckard
09-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Argh, too many election/Palin threads!

Guess I'll put it here...

OBAMA DEFENDS 'CREATIONIST PSYCHO BITCH' REMARK (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/obama-defends-'creationist-psycho-bitch'-remark-200809111247/)

:D

cacophony
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/518512.html

After Trig was born, Palin sent relatives and close friends a letter she wrote in the voice of God.

"I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a gift," Palin wrote, signing it "Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father."

*blank stare*

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh come on, she's sexy like a model.

And her husband is completely buttugly.

kagenaki koe
09-13-2008, 08:24 PM
she already had 4 damn kids, why did she need to "hide" her 5th pregnancy, eh Sarah? :rolleyes:

kagenaki koe
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
whoah, some pictures of from an anti-sarah rally in alaska:

http://www.laurainak.blogspot.com/

gambit
09-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Awesome. I hope this gets more coverage (although I seriously doubt it will).

BeautifulBurnout
09-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Another interesting article here from someone "back home" gives a very clear view of her record in Alaska.
http://www.crosscut.com/2008-election/17341/

And in fact this Warrior Librarians (http://www.andrys.com/palin-kilkenny.html) site gives lots of lovely linkies including something that purports to be the letter (http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/07/18/13/071608-palin-wooten-email.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf) Mrs Palin wrote to try and get her bro-in-law kicked out of the State Troopers. I can't vouch for it's veracity, but if it is genuine.... good grief. :eek:

Deckard
09-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Those are the kinds of things that will help break the spell.

Because the problem we have ('we' being everyone who has criticized her virtually from the day she was announced as running mate) is that we've turned her into the victim, and galvanized her party.

Even moderate Republicans who might not naturally warm to her are rallying round her, helping to stand up to the liberal aggressors.

She will most likely carry that through into the debates, and that concerns me.

It's not just the perception of the man (or crowd of men) picking on the woman. It's the perception of picking on the newbie, the small-town Mom. It's the danger that the debates will be won and lost not on ideological or intellectual merit, but on a gut feeling as to who feels like the good guys and who feels like the bad guys.

I hope I'm being pessimistic, but at the moment it feels like the more the media criticizes her, the stronger she becomes.

chuck
09-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Move over Mrs Palin.

There's a better Palin who could do your job. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf1y9s73Nos)

King of Snake
09-14-2008, 05:29 AM
he's got my vote :)

Deckard
09-14-2008, 07:45 AM
And mine!

"Every sperm is sac-red..."

(Plus he knows his Russia from his Alaska)

EDIT: I just went here... http://www.michaelpalinforpresident.com
and out of interest, clicked on the 'Complain' link at the bottom.

Just class!

kagenaki koe
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
more pics from the alaskan anti-sarah rally in anchorage:

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/alaska-women-reject-palin-rally-is-huge/

cacophony
09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Move over Mrs Palin.

There's a better Palin who could do your job. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf1y9s73Nos)

i'm glad someone finally cracked this joke because it's all i've been able to think of since they announced her name.

Sean
09-14-2008, 06:07 PM
more pics from the alaskan anti-sarah rally in anchorage:

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/alaska-women-reject-palin-rally-is-huge/The story and the photos go a long way towards restoring my hope for our society. Thanks for the link.

And incidentally, I came across this article (http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/story/525499.html) about Alaskan Republicans who were formerly critics of Palin's now closing ranks around her. Pretty blatant, telling stuff. Here's an excerpt:

Meanwhile, the so-called Troopergate investigation of the Palin administration has become a flashpoint for the governor's critics and defenders.

"Since Aug. 29 (when Palin was picked), the mood has really changed," said Halcro, whose own blog and radio show focus heavily on the investigation. "Now it's, 'Don't talk about it.' It's almost like blasphemy."

Conservative radio host Dan Fagan -- who said he hopes McCain beats Obama in November -- expresses frustration every day as callers object to his bringing up Troopergate and Palin's role. He accuses the governor's defenders of trying to sweep things under the rug to protect her candidacy.

"I'm hearing from my friends on the right, the truth doesn't matter. It's about the team," Fagan complained on his KFQD show this week.

chuck
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Sorry to be the continual bringer of light banter about what is arguably one of the more important political processes this year, but this SNL clip is great.

Gov. Palin and Senator Clinton address the nation (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/palin-hillary-open/656281/).

BeautifulBurnout
09-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Sorry to be the continual bringer of light banter about what is arguably one of the more important political processes this year...

I tell you what, though. If I don't keep laughing at the possibility of McCain/Palin in charge of The Button, I think I will cry. So keep 'em coming. :D

Deckard
09-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Alaskan Republicans who were formerly critics of Palin's now closing ranks around her.
"I'm hearing from my friends on the right, the truth doesn't matter. It's about the team," Fagan complained on his KFQD show this week.
Doesn't this just sum up the problem perfectly? Teams. Tribes. The Enemy. Sheesh.

Sean
09-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Doesn't this just sum up the problem perfectly? Teams. Tribes. The Enemy. Sheesh.It does unfortunately. I can understand party loyalty and such, but when it comes at the expense of the well-being of the country, or basic things like truth, I lose my empathy.

The New York Times has just put out an article about Palin's governing style (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14palin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin) that I hope gets some attention. A couple excerpts:

Throughout her political career, she has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and sometimes blurred the line between government and personal grievance, according to a review of public records and interviews with 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and local officials.

and...

Interviews show that Ms. Palin runs an administration that puts a premium on loyalty and secrecy. The governor and her top officials sometimes use personal e-mail accounts for state business; dozens of e-mail messages obtained by The New York Times show that her staff members studied whether that could allow them to circumvent subpoenas seeking public records.

Rick Steiner, a University of Alaska professor, sought the e-mail messages of state scientists who had examined the effect of global warming on polar bears. (Ms. Palin said the scientists had found no ill effects, and she has sued the federal government to block the listing of the bears as endangered.) An administration official told Mr. Steiner that his request would cost $468,784 to process.

When Mr. Steiner finally obtained the e-mail messages — through a federal records request — he discovered that state scientists had in fact agreed that the bears were in danger, records show.

“Their secrecy is off the charts,” Mr. Steiner said.

and...

Last summer State Representative John Harris, the Republican speaker of the House, picked up his phone and heard Mr. Palin’s voice. The governor’s husband sounded edgy. He said he was unhappy that Mr. Harris had hired John Bitney as his chief of staff, the speaker recalled. Mr. Bitney was a high school classmate of the Palins and had worked for Ms. Palin. But she fired Mr. Bitney after learning that he had fallen in love with another longtime friend.

And those are just from the first page and a third of a five page article. :eek:

Sorry....had to add this from page 3 of the article:

...in 1995, Ms. Palin, then a city councilwoman, told colleagues that she had noticed the book “Daddy’s Roommate” on the shelves and that it did not belong there, according to Ms. Chase and Mr. Stein. Ms. Chase read the book, which helps children understand homosexuality, and said it was inoffensive; she suggested that Ms. Palin read it.

“Sarah said she didn’t need to read that stuff,” Ms. Chase said. “It was disturbing that someone would be willing to remove a book from the library and she didn’t even read it.”

“I’m still proud of Sarah,” she added, “but she scares the bejeebers out of me.”

kagenaki koe
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
for national security experience, Palin's claim to fame is that Russia is her neighbor and you can see Russia from an island in Alaska

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Diomede_Islands_Bering_Sea_Jul_2006.jpg

that's the island on the left, russian territory on the right.

view from above http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BeringSt-close-VE.jpg

Palin National Security Experience FTW!

BeautifulBurnout
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
for national security experience, Palin's claim to fame is that Russia is her neighbor and you can see Russia from an island in Alaska

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Diomede_Islands_Bering_Sea_Jul_2006.jpg

that's the island on the left, russian territory on the right.

view from above http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BeringSt-close-VE.jpg

Palin National Security Experience FTW!

Yeah I know!

There was almost a fatal plane crash today too when both the pilot and co-pilot died in the cockpit. The Stewards put out a tannoy, but luckily Sarah Palin was on board and she used to live next door to an airport...

*Badumching* :D

dubman
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
this (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080915/ap_on_el_pr/palin) AP article is practically hemorraging frustration.

these snippets made me lol

the Alaska governor also said Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama "wants to raise income taxes and raise payroll taxes and raise investment income taxes and raise business taxes and raise the death tax. "But John McCain and I know that's not the way you grow the economy," she added.
In fact, independent groups such as the Tax Policy Center have concluded that four out of five U.S. households would receive tax cuts under Obama's proposal, which include higher income and payroll taxes only for the wealthiest wage-earners.

"I've got another idea that I think Senator McCain likes. In Alaska, we took the state checkbook and put it online, so everyone can see where their money goes. We're going to bring that kind of openness to Washington," she said.
In fact, there already is a searchable database that allows the public to track federal grants and contracts, and Obama was a principle force behind the 2006 law that created it, along with Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

Sean
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
And hey...seriously, you need to read the New York Times article I linked (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14palin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). It's the most comprehensive look into her governing style I've seen yet, and it's terrifying.

kagenaki koe
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Sarah Palin told congress "Thanks, But No Thanks" for that Bridge To Nowhere*

translation: FU Ketchikan, I'm taking that money and build a bridge to Wasilla instead:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/09/palin_supports_600_million_oth.php

BeautifulBurnout
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Sarah Palin told congress "Thanks, But No Thanks" for that Bridge To Nowhere*

translation: FU Ketchikan, I'm taking that money and build a bridge to Wasilla instead:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2008/09/palin_supports_600_million_oth.php

Yeah but there is no need to worry about driving whales into extinction for a bridge nobody needs, cos the Rapture (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4720440.ece) is on its way in her lifetime....

So there really is no need to worry about global warming, ecology, conservation or any of that stuff as Jesus is on his to sort it all out. And all power (i.e. funding/arms) to Israel's elbow too, cos the Rapture won't happen until the Promised Land is back in force.(She even has a little Israeli flag (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/04/palins-evangelical-faith-drives-pro-israel-view/) in her office, which is kind of bizarre for the Governor of a State that has barely any Jewish population at all.) So the sooner Israel is back to being the land as described in the Bible the sooner Jesus will be back amongst us. Or something. :confused:

I have no quarrel with Israel as long as they are not out to destroy Palestine (and vice versa, for that matter). But I am a tad worried by someone who might one day be responsible for policy decisions of one of the most powerful nations on earth - and one of the most heavily armed - believing vehemently that supporting Israel in whatever she does is the way to bring about the second coming, the Rapture and Armageddon.

She has every right to believe what she believes. Just don't let her anywhere near power over international affairs, for all our sakes. :eek:

kagenaki koe
09-17-2008, 11:38 PM
so part of her new interview with Hannity is up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/17/palin-decries-unfair-atta_n_127197.html

following McCains idiotic "by fundamentals of our economy, i meant the workers" she repeats this same re-interpretation of the term then follows it up with "It is a mess though" which based on their reinterpretation it means that the workers are a mess:rolleyes:

BeautifulBurnout
09-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Well, the GOP aren't too happy (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/18/uselections2008.sarahpalin) about the Troopergate investigation going ahead at all, despite Mrs Palin's assertions that she welcomed a chance to clear her name. Now they are trying to smear the investigation as being biased against her because Sen French, the chair, is a Democrat.

Interesting time line of articles on the whole shenanigans in the Alaskan Daily News. (http://www.adn.com/troopergate/)

This is going to run and run. Whether it is sufficient to deter the Sarah-worshipers is another matter, however. I am tired of the shrill "why are you being so mean to her? You are just liberal baby-killers" whining of the Right every time another embarrassing fact about Mrs P emerges.

And The Huff's take on it here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/les-gara/round-2-of-mccain-trooper_b_127101.html)
Friday the Attorney General's office promised state witnesses would comply with subpoenas the Legislature issued last week. Tuesday the Governor's Attorney General flip flopped, and announced that state witnesses wouldn't comply because, well, and I'm paraphrasing here - - he's changed his mind. And in what has to be an idea hatched after a 4th Martini at Chilkoot Charlies, Governor Palin's attorneys have filed a motion to dismiss the ethics claim she filed against herself two weeks ago. Yup. She really filed a complaint against herself. Tuesday she said she's discovered, after a thorough investigation of herself, that she's done nothing wrong. Does anyone know how to get a hold of Jon Stewart and Tina Fey?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

kagenaki koe
09-18-2008, 01:48 PM
about 17 seconds in she proclaims Palin/McCain administration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dysEy5O1dn4

i just found it funny considering her history of throwing people who have helped her get elected under the bus

cacophony
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
while i'm in the hospital i have daily access to the lactation consultants to get information and guidance on proper breastfeeding. today my consultant was a middle-aged native georgian. i've been avoiding the news partially intentionally, partially unintentionally for the past couple of weeks because (go figure) i've had other things on my mind. unfortunately my husband turned the TV on just as the consultant arrived and left the room to give us some privacy. the TV was on CNN when it came on and it was just sort of on in the background during my consultation. of course CNN was talking about all of the stock market stuff and at one point the consultant looked up at the TV and snorted in disgust. she said, "the things these CEOs do, it should be illegal. but they have all of the money so nothing ever changes."

then she said this:

"that's why i'm so interested to see what sarah palin has to say about this because it's just time we get a politician with no connections. she doesn't have any ties, she can get things cleaned up."

my polite inclination was to say nothing because i tend to dislike discussing politics with complete strangers. but i couldn't just be silent about it. before i spoke up these are the thoughts that flitted through my head and i considered saying each one:

1) you're an idiot, get out of my room.

2) sarah palin is not the presidential candidate. if you're looking for someone without "connections" you should think about the fact that the PRESIDENTIAL candidate is john mccain. with two decades of "connections."

3) what exactly do you think a vice presidential's campaign promises on a subject like this are worth?

4) no "connections" is more valuable than ANY experience that would qualify someone for the job? you might as well say, "that's why i'm so interested to see what my dry cleaner has to say about this because he has no connections."

ultimately what i ended up doing was rolling my eyes laboriously and saying flatly, "i'm not a fan of sarah palin. don't kid yourself, there isn't a politician on god's green earth who doesn't have connections. they have even found special interests connected to sarah palin."

she just sort of frowned thoughtfully and said, "huh. maybe that's true."

then i forcefully changed the subject away from politics and didn't give her a chance to bring it up again.

so. yeah. fucking stupidity running rampant.

Deckard
09-19-2008, 02:47 AM
1) you're an idiot, get out of my room.
Made me spit out my breakfast!

I was thinking last night about how shockingly fast has been the rise of Sarah Palin - I'm struggling to think of anyone else who has gone from nobody to household name (known even to people here outside the US) in such a short space of time - and not just a household name, but elevated to a position of such significance. I mean, most of us knew of Obama a while before he announced he was standing as a Presidential candidate. But Palin's emergence has been more sudden than anything I've seen.

Last night on Question Time (UK's most popular political discussion show), there was the usual 'balanced' selection on the panel - male Conservative politician, female Labour politician, female Liberal politician, the male CEO of one of the biggest retail chains, and a male Jon Stewart-style satirist. Towards the end, the question of Sarah Palin came up. And you know what? ALL the panel were united in agreement at how scary this woman's views are. Everyone from the audience who spoke was the same. No disagreement, which is very unusual. Harriet Harman, the Labour minister, spoke of her admiration for what Palin had achieved as a woman, and everyone accepted that she has certainly re-energized McCain's campaign (though not necessarily for the right reasons!) But beyond that, there was unanimous agreement - this scary woman must not get in!!

A couple of other vehemently conservative Brits I speak to on the internet have also wasted no time in expressing their horror at the prospect that this person could become the 2nd - or god forbid, 1st - most powerful person on the planet. These are staunch conservative party supporters, horrified at how America could end up not only with someone like that so close to the reins of power, but with such support.

The sense I'm getting is that the reasons for this collective horror (at least to us in this country) seem to be firmly rooted in the following: her abortion stance, her support of creationism, the sheer level of ignorance she displays, and the suspicion - from a couple of things she's said - that she may turn out to be an unhinged warmonger. (Not heard too many citing her lack of experience, funnily enough - seems those other concerns trump that)

The more I think about this, the more I see John McCain as the utterly reprehensible one in all this. Sure, John strikes me as a thoroughly decent jovial guy in interviews, I actually kind of warm to him. But there's no getting away from how stupidly irresponsible this choice of running mate was, and I can only speculate what on earth was going on in his head.

King of Snake
09-19-2008, 06:22 AM
what's going on in his mind is "i've got to win and it doesn't matter how."

Sean
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
The more I think about this, the more I see John McCain as the utterly reprehensible one in all this. Sure, John strikes me as a thoroughly decent jovial guy in interviews, I actually kind of warm to him. But there's no getting away from how stupidly irresponsible this choice of running mate was, and I can only speculate what on earth was going on in his head.It's funny you should say this right now. Just last night I was watching the news and heard some more clips from Palin, and I had a moment where I felt truly scared at the thought of her falling into the Presidency. I mean like TRULY scared, where I was feeling pissed off at McCain for being such a selfish, irresponsible ass that he would make his VP pick based entirely on who he thought might help him win an election, but not at all on if that person would be qualified to run the country if necessary. I mean seriously....how could he knowingly put us in this position, and how can these idiots keep eating it up?

bas_I_am
09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
hell, william harrison served as president when he was 68 years old, in 1841. do you realize what the life expectancy difference is between 1841 and 2008?

william henry harrison caught a cold during is inaugural speech and died two months into office.

d'oh!!!

cacophony
09-19-2008, 09:34 AM
uh oh.

gambit
09-19-2008, 10:00 AM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/19/1424780.aspx

As of yesterday, Sarah Palin had delivered 14 campaign speeches since her well-received address more than two weeks ago at the Republican National Convention. And each time, she's packed in thousands of excited Republicans eager to see this new star of the GOP.

But those waiting for hours to listen to her could hear the same thing -- or something close to it -- simply by pressing play on a TiVO recording of her acceptance speech. Or clicking on to a YouTube clip of that Sept. 3 addressI can't wait for the VP debate. Biden is going to skewer her just by being able to think up something new.

Sean
09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/19/1424780.aspx

I can't wait for the VP debate. Biden is going to skewer her just by being able to think up something new.The debates will indeed be interesting.

There's so much coming out about her every day that they can't possibly sustain the excitement surrounding her as the VP pick. Just today, this was in the L.A. Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-bridge19-2008sep19,0,3279132.story). It's an article about the fact that despite the infamous "bridge to nowhere" being stopped, Palin went ahead anyway with having a $26 million, dead-end road built that runs from the airport to the place where the bridge was going to be. :confused:

BeautifulBurnout
09-19-2008, 11:57 AM
... and today the "First Dude" refused to appear (http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/530885.html) under subpoena for the Troopergate enquiry. How bad must the truth on this be that the GOP are prepared to go to such lengths to prevent the hearing taking place?

And here is the legal blah blah blah (http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/09/18/16/ltr_Branchflower_objections_subpoena_9-18-08.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf) as to why he isn't appearing (unless it is just geeks like me that love reading this stuff ;) )

kagenaki koe
09-19-2008, 12:09 PM
i think she is the only candidate this season that keeps repeating "January 20" as part of her stump speech. i liken it to that America's Next Top Model contestant that kept proclaiming "i AM america's next top model". i hope she gets the same result.

gambit
09-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Over the weekend, her poll numbers went down, and I attribute that to all these news stories and her first interview which must've sobered people up. Also, Obama's poll numbers have risen, and now everything's pretty much back to the way it was before the conventions.

Personally, I don't get why they're making such a big deal out of this Troopergate investigation. First, Palin said she would cooperate with it, and that probably would've been the most we heard about it. By refusing to comply with it, for any reason, just makes it a much bigger story. It just makes people think that they're hiding something. Politically, this was a dumb move.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=BeautifulBurnout;102225(unless it is just geeks like me that love reading this stuff ;) )[/QUOTE]

I DO! I DO!

Considering what's been considered the new cool, or hot, (or what do kids call it now-a-daze?)
I'm quite alright being a geek.

rayray
09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I was reading a headline today when I realized that if you lose the "L"
it's P A L I N
as in PAIN - lot's of it for us

Deckard
09-19-2008, 01:43 PM
The Republicans today effectively won their battle to delay the findings of the Troopergate investigation into Sarah Palin until after the White House election on November 4.
I hope there's a shitstorm about this. :mad:

A lawyer for Todd Palin, Thomas van Flein, told the investigators the subpoena was "unduly burdensome" because he would be out on the campaign trail with his wife until election day. "His scheduling obligations over the next two months will make it virtually impossible for him to prepare for and present the testimony called for in the subpoena at the specified location during that time period," Flein said in a letter.
Yeah right, mate. :rolleyes:

Although some polls earlier this week suggested the Palin phenomenon was beginning to fade as a result of Troopergate and other revelations about her record as governor of Alaska, one of the most respected polling organisations in the US, the Pew Research Centre, published a survey today suggesting that the Republican party brand has regained some of its lustre for the first time in three years and that this can be attributed mainly to Palin.

This is a stunning turnaround given the extremely low favourability ratings of President George Bush, the unpopularity of the Iraq war and an economy in free fall.

The Pew Research Centre found that independent voters, who will decide the election, have an equally favourable view of both parties, 50% to 49%, with the Republicans having the 1% edge. The Democrats had held an 18% lead in August, and similar leads over the last year.
Because of Sarah Palin? That is so f----d up.

nosajmunson
09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't wait for the VP debate. Biden is going to skewer her just by being able to think up something new.

I really wish people would leave poor, poor Sarah Palin alone. It's hard to run for the 2nd highest office in the land.

All those things you have to memorize. It's not her fault that she doesn't know what the Bush Doctrine is? I mean, she is a dyed in the wool, wolf shooting member of the Republicants, but that doesn't mean she should know everything about them.
She loves Bush, the president and not the other kind of "Bush". That would make her a Lesbian, and lord knows that the Republicants aren’t gay.

People make fun of her about her saying that she can see Russia from her yard. When she said it, she was just kidding around. She can't really see it because there is a giant bridge that leads to nowhere blocking the view of Mother Russia.

People need to leave her daughter alone and out of all of this. Just because Sarah preaches NO sexual education other than abstinence doesn't mean her daughter has buy into that. I mean, as a Republicant, you only have to tell others what is morally right and make laws to enforce it. You don't actually have to follow your own guidelines. Besides, this is her daughter’s second child. Sarah P is just taking care of her daughter’s first one until her daughter is ready to be a good parent like Sarah.

People are saying that she just repeats the exact same thing over and over again.
Well, why not. It’s the only way Republicants can get their message across to people.
Everybody knows that if you say it enough, eventually people will believe it.

And all this talk about how Joe Bidden is going to rip her apart come the debates.
That’s just plain silly. Sure, Joe Bidden may be a great debater. And sure, he may know a lot more facts about the US government than her. He even may be better suited for the job of vice president. All of that really means nothing. Sarah Palin is going to stand there and say the same stuff over and over, no matter how many times she contradicts herself. And as long as she is wearing those really cool hip glasses she got from her grandmother’s dresser, everyone will listen and believe her.

Besides, if her and her grandfather win the election, Ol Gramps McCain won't last all 4 years. That means Sarah would run the country. And that's AWESOME!
Seriously, what beauty queen can you think of that you wouldn't want to be the President of the United States. Sure Hillary Clinton may be smart and qualified but she is just not as pretty as that gosh darn cute Sarah Palin.

BeautifulBurnout
09-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Nosajmunson: class post! :D:D

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-19-2008, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=nosajmunson;102237][FONT=Century Gothic]

[FONT=Century Gothic] I mean, as a Republicant, you only have to tell others what is morally right and make laws to enforce it.

"...make the rules,
then break them all
'cause you are the best..."

Man, I've been waiting to use that one for a LONG time.

cacophony
09-22-2008, 08:43 AM
sarah palin charged women for their own rape exams when she was mayor. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/21/palin.rape.exams/index.html)

Sean
09-22-2008, 10:17 AM
sarah palin charged women for their own rape exams when she was mayor. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/21/palin.rape.exams/index.html)Oh please please PLEASE let this be reported to death in the mainstream press.

BeautifulBurnout
09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh please please PLEASE let this be reported to death in the mainstream press.

I thought this had hit the mainstream a little while ago - I remember reading about it about 10 days ago. It may well be hidden in this thread somewhere.

Right enough, this is one of the most heinous policies to be practised by a police department. God knows, women have enough trouble reporting a rape in the first place, without having to worry about where they are going to get the money to fund their forensics kit if they aren't insured. :eek:

nosajmunson
09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
sarah palin charged women for their own rape exams when she was mayor. (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/21/palin.rape.exams/index.html)

That's just sad and sick. How could Palin have no idea that this was going on? Her frickin' chief of police was quoted in their local paper about all of this? I guess Sarah can't read.

kagenaki koe
09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
there's lots of stuff Palin did wrong in alaska. there's also Dairygate:

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/2008/08/dairygate-2-more-on-sarah-pali.php

it's lower on the list of her screwups.

Deckard
09-22-2008, 01:43 PM
That's just sad and sick. How could Palin have no idea that this was going on? Her frickin' chief of police was quoted in their local paper about all of this? I guess Sarah can't read.
Maybe it was in Russian.

BeautifulBurnout
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Meanwhile, she is being more than a tad camera shy (http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2008/09/sarah-palin-mee.html) today.

Why is it that the Republicans are so worried about her being caught on film? Are they concerned that her flimsiness when faced with hard questions will blow up in their faces? It strikes me as utterly bizarre 6 weeks prior to the elections to be keeping her in purdah.

cacophony
09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
they're not done grooming her. they found her out in the wilds of alaska with virtually no real political experience. for the world of politics it's like finding a feral child who was raised by wild dogs and never developed the capacity for language. they're taking sarah palin in and teaching her how humans live and teaching her to turn woofs and grunts into intelligible speech.

they can't let her out into the world of politics until she learns how to behave properly.

i thought this analogy would be a lot less sexist than if i'd gone with an eliza doolittle reference. :p

BeautifulBurnout
09-23-2008, 03:30 PM
they're not done grooming her. they found her out in the wilds of alaska with virtually no real political experience. for the world of politics it's like finding a feral child who was raised by wild dogs and never developed the capacity for language. they're taking sarah palin in and teaching her how humans live and teaching her to turn woofs and grunts into intelligible speech.

they can't let her out into the world of politics until she learns how to behave properly.

i thought this analogy would be a lot less sexist than if i'd gone with an eliza doolittle reference. :p

LMFAO! :D

*hums "All I want is a room somewhere..." *

Strangelet
09-23-2008, 05:34 PM

that's some funny shit. :D

kagenaki koe
09-23-2008, 07:00 PM
now that's how a maverick works!:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13736.html

i've only seen a few parts of I Want To Work For Diddy, but Palin reminds me of the chubby dude that came in with a tshirt that said CAN DO, but hardly ever does anything when the competition started.

nosajmunson
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
now that's how a maverick works!:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13736.html

i've only seen a few parts of I Want To Work For Diddy, but Palin reminds me of the chubby dude that came in with a tshirt that said CAN DO, but hardly ever does anything when the competition started.

Nice.

I don't see what the big deal is though. I'm salaried at 45 hours a week. But I only actually work about 3. Then I bill them for the extra time I spend on here.
Wow....wait a second.....maybe I can find a job in McCain's campaign.
Or at least working for Diddy.

IsiliRunite
09-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Get me some cheesecake.

rayray
09-24-2008, 12:28 PM
and now mccain wants to hide from public and delay the debate this friday....
must be some financial skeletons in the maverick closet

nosajmunson
09-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Get me some cheesecake.

How about some Vietnamese Breast milk? Wait, that's Chappelle Show.

and now mccain wants to hide from public and delay the debate this friday....
must be some financial skeletons in the maverick closet

Yeah, there gonna find Goose, Slider and Iceman in his closet, naked.

If the McCrustyballs can't remember how many Houses he has, he needs to put off the debates. This is a good excuse. Financial disaster. Hopefully he can still make the payments on all NINE of his houses. Hope that comes up in the deabtes "How much a month do you pay in Mortages?"

"Ms. Palin, how much do you charge the people of Alaska a month to live in the Mansion?"

kagenaki koe
09-24-2008, 06:54 PM
her Katie Kouric interview is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Yx-RhHb4g

i love Katie's "you're bullshit won't fly with me, bitch" look which probably explains why you don't hear Sarah say "Katie, you know Katie...in what way Katie, it's like this Katie....."

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-24-2008, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't let them.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
And, just in case, Twilight is fiction too.

Someone please tell me I'm not being offensive.

BeautifulBurnout
09-25-2008, 08:53 AM
She's so inept she is making me cringe as I watch this. She is clearly waaaay out of her depth on this and continues to repeat the party line without reflecting on the actual question that is being put to her.

Worrying.

Deckard
09-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I know what you mean. Despite obvious differences, I'm actually feeling a bit sorry for her, and just contempt for the way McCain is using her.

Couric's "I'm just going to ask you one more time..." made her look ridiculous. I think even Republican supporters must now be growing a bit doubtful about her selection.

Sean
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
And beyond the Katie Couric interview, Palin actually took four questions from the press corps that follow her around today. Wanna read her pitif-I mean inspiring statement and then her idio-I mean insightful answers (with my highlights)?

PALIN: Every American student needs to come through this area so that, especially this younger generation of Americans is, to be in a position of never forgetting what happened here and never repeating, never allowing a repeat of what happened here. I wish every American would come through here. I wish every world leader would come through here, and understand what it is that took place here and more importantly how America came together and united to commit to never allowing this to happen again. And just to hear and from and see these good New Yorkers who are rebuilding not just this are but helping to rebuild America has been very, very inspiring and encouraging. These are the good Americans who are committed to peace and security and its been an absolute honor getting to meet these folks today.

CNN: On the topic of never letting this happen again, do you agree with the way the Bush administration has handled the war on terrorism, is there anything you would do differently?

A: I agree with the Bush administration that we take the fight to them. We never again let them come onto our soil and try to destroy not only our democracy, but communities like the community of New York. Never again. So yes, I do agree with taking the fight to the terrorists and stopping them over there.

POLITICO: Do you think our presence in Iraq and afghan and our continued presence there is inflaming islamic extremists?

A: I think our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan will lead to further security of our nation, again, because the mission is to take the fight over there. do not let them come over here and attempt again what they accomplished here, and that was some destruction. terrible destruction on that day. but since September 11, Americans uniting and rebuilding and committing to never letting that happen again.

POLITICO: Do you support the reelection bids of embattled Alaska Republicans, Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens?

A: Ted Stevens trial started a couple days ago. We’ll see where that goes.

POLITICO: Are you gong to vote for them?
[no answer.]

JERSEY JOURNAL: What do you think of bailout package before congress?

A: I don't support that until the provisions that Sen. McCain has offered are implemented in Paulson's proposals.

Seriously? "And that was some destruction"? That's how you define what happened on 9/11? And you can almost sense the relief in her last answer, like "finally a question I can just answer by saying 'I agree with Big John'". No wonder they keep her safely locked away.

Deckard
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Unbelievable.

I swear most of us here would make a better VP than this person!

It's just embarrassing (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/palin-on-russia.html) isn't it?

cured
09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I was about to post this, Deck. Can't make this shit up.

gambit
09-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, clearly Katie Couric is sexist.

BeautifulBurnout
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
WTF?!

"Our next door neighbours are foreign countries"...

Must be really scary with Russia just over the water there, eh?

RED DAWN! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/plotsummary) WOLVERIIIIIIINES! FUCK YEAH!!!

She is truly off her rocker if she thinks that that qualifies her to be Veep. Hell, I have visited more foreign countries in a year than she has all her life. I guess I should be running for Prime Minister next time round, then. :rolleyes:

gambit
09-25-2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fVfTCVGZKg

Hey, has anyone talked about Sarah Palin's witchhunting pastor yet (about a minute in)? And by witchhunting, I mean he literally goes hunting for witches in Africa, which can result in murder.

testudo
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
WTF?!

"Our next door neighbours are foreign countries"...

Must be really scary with Russia just over the water there, eh?

RED DAWN! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/plotsummary) WOLVERIIIIIIINES! FUCK YEAH!!!

She is truly off her rocker if she thinks that that qualifies her to be Veep. Hell, I have visited more foreign countries in a year than she has all her life. I guess I should be running for Prime Minister next time round, then. :rolleyes:

this truly is some red dawn stupidity!

BeautifulBurnout
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fVfTCVGZKg

Hey, has anyone talked about Sarah Palin's witchhunting pastor yet (about a minute in)? And by witchhunting, I mean he literally goes hunting for witches in Africa, which can result in murder.

Yep - we've done him already. There are so many things to rake up on this poor woman that one kind of loses track on everything that has been covered already. I am beginning to feel quite sorry for her really, because I don't think that she realised for a minute the extent to which every bit of her life was going to be put under a microscope like this.

kagenaki koe
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
my innapropriate comment of the day:

even Trig is embarrased at how retarded his mom is.

Sean
09-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Yep - we've done him already. There are so many things to rake up on this poor woman that one kind of loses track on everything that has been covered already. I am beginning to feel quite sorry for her really, because I don't think that she realised for a minute the extent to which every bit of her life was going to be put under a microscope like this.I can't feel sorry for her. If she came out really trying - like by accepting the nomination with grace, ideas, and humility rather than sarcastic douche-baggery, or if she didn't try for weeks to convince us she said "thanks but no thanks" when every single person on the planet knew she was full of shit, and on and on - then maybe I'd feel sorry for her. But she didn't. She came out with guns a' blazin', acting as if she thought she could say absolutely anything she wanted with impunity. So while I know you don't mean you feel deeply sorry for her, I just can't seem to feel even a tiny sliver of empathy for the woman. In fact, I'm rooting for her political career to completely implode, because I've actually seen interviews with her friends and political cohorts where they've said that Palin's told them that her ultimate goal is to be President. I never want her anywhere near the White House. Ever.

BeautifulBurnout
09-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Ouch! I really shouldn't have laughed at this. Really I shouldn't....

:o:D

dubman
09-25-2008, 02:12 PM

i mean why even name that kid trig
he's never going to make it that far in math
bad-um......... tsk tsk.

that couric interview with her is insane. she's insane.
republicans arent doubting. not when the MEDIA IS BEING SOOO UNFAIR TO HER BY ASKING QUESTIONS WITH AN AGENDA

seriously, she's locked in for them. anything that makes her look bad is purely external.

rayray
09-25-2008, 02:21 PM
I think even laura bush underestimated how much sarah needs to learn on the job when she said that in an interview the other day. McCain in the Membrane!

gambit
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Yep - we've done him already. There are so many things to rake up on this poor woman that one kind of loses track on everything that has been covered already. I am beginning to feel quite sorry for her really, because I don't think that she realised for a minute the extent to which every bit of her life was going to be put under a microscope like this.Did you watch the video? He's placing his hand on her, praying that God deliver her from witchcraft and give her money to win her campaign.

nosajmunson
09-25-2008, 11:27 PM

Funny, but sooooo not funny.

Like part 2 of her interview with Katie. Funny to watch like a stand up comedian bombing. Not funny because there still is a chance of this lady being in office.

BeautifulBurnout
09-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Did you watch the video? He's placing his hand on her, praying that God deliver her from witchcraft and give her money to win her campaign.

Yeah I did.

Let me explain what I mean by "sorry for her" - it is more "compassion" in the Buddhist sense than it is "empathy" or even "sympathy". In the same way that you can see someone who is clearly mentally ill in the street or on a bus muttering to themselves or cursing and feel sorry for them. You feel for their suffering, in other words, even though they themselves don't necessarily realise they are suffering.

I believe she is so utterly deluded, and convinced of her own awesomeness and invincibility, that she fails to realise that she is little more than a laughing stock now for vast swathes of the international population.

The only people who continue to put her on a pedestal seem to be those who are equally as deluded - the creationists, the rapture-believers, those who genuinely believe she is God's messenger on God's mission to take over America.

I cannot imagine that any person in their right mind, Republican or not, Christian or not, can look at the catalogue of incidents and statements that have been coming to light since her appointment as Veep candidate, in particular the "casting out of witches", and think that the country could ever be safe in her hands. Unless, of course, they are equally nuts and actually believe in witches, creationism, the Rapture, the End of Days, blah blah blah.

kagenaki koe
09-26-2008, 01:58 AM
i didn't know that hockey moms could get $25,000 worth of gifts in a 20 month period:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/25/AR2008092503988.html?nav=hcmodule

i wanna be a hockey mom too!

Deckard
09-26-2008, 02:34 AM
I can't feel sorry for her. If she came out really trying - like by accepting the nomination with grace, ideas, and humility rather than sarcastic douche-baggery, or if she didn't try for weeks to convince us she said "thanks but no thanks" when every single person on the planet knew she was full of shit, and on and on - then maybe I'd feel sorry for her. But she didn't. She came out with guns a' blazin', acting as if she thought she could say absolutely anything she wanted with impunity. So while I know you don't mean you feel deeply sorry for her, I just can't seem to feel even a tiny sliver of empathy for the woman. In fact, I'm rooting for her political career to completely implode, because I've actually seen interviews with her friends and political cohorts where they've said that Palin's told them that her ultimate goal is to be President. I never want her anywhere near the White House. Ever.
Trying to pin down why I'm feeling slightly sorry for her - I think it's partly because it's becoming increasingly apparent that this person has been exploited by McCain and he should shoulder a lot of the flak coming her way, and partly because I can see her desperately trying to sound professional and confident (and when you're in that situation, you often think a show of humility would be wrong) but giving completely cringeworthy performances on camera and looking so stupid to so many people. The fact that she's so new, so fish out of water, yet facing such a barrage of laughter makes me wince. Even though I abhor much of what she believes in.

I think that's why. She may not deserve sympathy, but then I'm not consciously choosing to offer it.

Sean
09-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Trying to pin down why I'm feeling slightly sorry for her - I think it's partly because it's becoming increasingly apparent that this person has been exploited by McCain and he should shoulder a lot of the flak coming her way, and partly because I can see her desperately trying to sound professional and confident (and when you're in that situation, you often think a show of humility would be wrong) but giving completely cringeworthy performances on camera and looking so stupid to so many people. The fact that she's so new, so fish out of water, yet facing such a barrage of laughter makes me wince. Even though I abhor much of what she believes in.

I think that's why. She may not deserve sympathy, but then I'm not consciously choosing to offer it.I can understand it....I just don't personally feel it. ;)

Strangelet
09-26-2008, 08:15 AM
I can understand it....I just don't personally feel it. ;)

my buddhist compassion will kick in as soon as she crawls back into the bad jesus freak channel family sitcom she came from.

//\/\/
09-26-2008, 08:27 AM
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/25/palin-ak-rus-remark/

brilliant! scary that she only got a passport LAST YEAR!!!

BeautifulBurnout
09-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Found this on the Huff (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-wilson/youtube-censors-documenta_b_126202.html) site.

The movie is about 10 mins long but is worth watching. Damn scary. Total cultish behaviour.

And I thought Morning Star Mission was a bit of an odd choice of name too - isn't Lucifer supposed to be "star of the morning (http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/bp/890/lucifer.html)"?

Now I'm confused. :confused: And also a tad :eek:

Deckard
09-26-2008, 09:06 AM
my buddhist compassion will kick in as soon as she crawls back into the bad jesus freak channel family sitcom she came from.
Haha! Come on guys, I only said 'slightly' ;)

cacophony
09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
i'll admit that i feel a bit sorry for her, too. but the way in which i feel sorry for her is as though she'd only had 1 swimming lesson and decided to jump into the deep end of the pool. all that floundering and kicking and struggling to stay afloat... you have to have some pity for the hubris that inspired her to jump in over her head in the first place.

because you know she's floundering. and you know she knows she's floundering. and you know that somewhere deep inside, she knows you know she's floundering.

dubman
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
anyone *watch* the katie couric interview?

GOOD EV'NIN BRIAN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWDGEaQty_s
I KICKED THE BALL..... AND IT WENT TO THE BACK OF THE NET! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRKYsao2ciY)

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5aiDuemgJ4

gambit
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I would, but my brain would implode, so I'll get back to you on that after I'm done watching Putin fly over my home.

Sean
09-26-2008, 11:59 AM
because you know she's floundering. and you know she knows she's floundering. and you know that somewhere deep inside, she knows you know she's floundering.And I bet she knows that we know that she knows she's floundering, too. :D

There are also a few interesting opinion pieces by conservative writers about Palin that I wanted to share.

First is one called "Palin Problem: She's out of her league" (http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=MDZiMDhjYTU1NmI5Y2MwZjg2MWNiMWMyYTUxZDkwNTE=). A couple quotes:

As we’ve seen and heard more from John McCain’s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn’t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

and

Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

Then there's this article (http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/16/opinion/edbrooks.php?WT.mc_id=rssmostemailed) that says:

Sarah Palin has many virtues. If you wanted someone to destroy a corrupt establishment, she'd be your woman. But the constructive act of governance is another matter. She has not been engaged in national issues, does not have a repertoire of historic patterns and, like President Bush, she seems to compensate for her lack of experience with brashness and excessive decisiveness.

And this article (http://www.nationalpost.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=756704) that says:

Ms. Palin's experience in government makes Barack Obama look like George C. Marshall. She served two terms on the city council of Wasilla, Alaska, population 9,000. She served two terms as mayor. In November, 2006, she was elected governor of the state, a job she has held for a little more than 18 months. She has zero foreign policy experience, and no record on national security issues.

All this would matter less, but for this fact: The day that John McCain announced his selection of Sarah Palin was his birthday. His 72nd birthday. Seventy-two is not as old as it used to be, but Mr. McCain had a bout with melanoma seven years ago, and his experience in prison camp has uncertain implications for his future health.

If anything were to happen to a President McCain, the destiny of the free world would be placed in the hands of a woman who until the day before Friday was a small-town mayor.

kagenaki koe
09-26-2008, 01:00 PM
i like what the panel with Anderson Cooper had to say about Palin. right now she doesn't even look all that confident. it's a combination of McCain's camp not doing anything to actually make her look better out there.

i also remember what someone who went against her (i think it was Andre Halcro) said, she got this far just by being charming. her answers have always been vague, and she always had staff feed her lines when needed. which was fine in a smaller state of Alaska, but now she has to deal with the national media which isnt as forgiving.

Deckard
09-26-2008, 01:32 PM
From that conservative writer:
If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.
Ouch!

chuck
09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Andrew Sullivan writes a mean line or two - and by 'mean' I mean down right insightful.

Palin is getting worse. (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/palin-is-gettin.html)
"In other words: There's no Palin decline. There was nothing to decline from. There is no there there but ambition, fundamentalism and a bizarre personal life. And the pressure of her countless lies - especially about her personal life - must be beginning to tell. My own view is that she is such a massive joke she will kill the ticket; but if McCain asked her to withdraw, it would so destroy his own record of judgment, he would also lose. So we have two scenarios: either they struggle on, keep the Schmidt fireworks to distract from reality, and hope that racism and Christianism will somehow get them to the finishing line - or we start all over with Romney. But it's getting too late to switch GOP candidates.

I don't think the Palin problem is fixable. She is who she is: an unqualified fundamentalist liar with no knowledge of or experience in national domestic or foreign policy. And McCain had absolutely no idea who she was when he picked her."

Exactly.

Deckard
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd be fascinated to know what Cheney is making of all this.

chuck
09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Holy shitballs. I've just finished watching that Couric interview.

W. T. F. is that woman smoking.

Coz I want some of it.

Hay Zoos on a crutch. That's just terrifying.

Note to Democrats - don't even bother with the attack ads - just let the woman talk.

cured
09-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I read the Daily Dish on a daily basis. My favorite blog. To think, back in the day, Sullivan was a Bush apologist. He has seen the light since :)

cured
09-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Holy shitballs. I've just finished watching that Couric interview.

W. T. F. is that woman smoking.

Coz I want some of it.

Hay Zoos on a crutch. That's just terrifying.

Note to Democrats - don't even bother with the attack ads - just let the woman talk.

Bet ya can't get stuff THAT good in NZ, eh? ;)

Notice Obama hasn't really said anything about Palin. The press has opened the closet and all the skeleton bones are falling out.

cured
09-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Flow chart on Palin's views of the bail out:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/images/2008/09/26/palinbailout_2.gif

cacophony
09-26-2008, 06:10 PM
a la south park:

1. bailout plan
2. health care
3. ???
4. profit

IsiliRunite
09-26-2008, 06:31 PM
'We fixed it, we killed it, and people ended up in federal prison.'

she likely won't do well in the debate, if her answers to couric were that bad.

Sean
09-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Interesting news. The highlight is mine...

Subpoenaed Palin aides don't appear at abuse probe (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOTk11gvqDAgD0cY3i4WjI_2YOxwD93ELK9G0)

18 hours ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Seven of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's top aides defied subpoenas for their testimony Friday into possible abuse of power by the governor.

Palin's Chief of Staff Mike Nizich and six other aides failed to appear at a legislative hearing into whether Palin abused her power when she fired her public safety commissioner this summer.

Alaska Senate Judiciary Chairman Hollis French, D-Anchorage, waited 30 minutes Friday before reading a statement that the witnesses could be found in contempt when the full Legislature convenes in January.

Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg filed a lawsuit on behalf of the seven state workers Thursday challenging the subpoenas. He claims the committee has no jurisdiction to issue subpoenas in the investigation.

Colberg planned a news conference later Friday.

Palin fired Walt Monegan, the public safety commissioner, in July. He claims he was fired for refusing to fire a state trooper who had gone through a nasty divorce with Palin's sister.

He claims he was pressured by Palin, her husband and members of her staff to fire the trooper.

Palin denies the charge, and says he was dismissed over budget disagreements.

The Legislative Council, in a unanimous bipartisan vote, ordered an investigation into Monegan's firing, and Palin agreed to cooperate — until she was named John McCain's running mate.

Since then, Palin — through the McCain campaign — has accused lawmakers of manipulating the probe to be potentially damaging ahead of the November election.

Most witnesses under subpoena have refused to testify before the special investigator or the legislative body.

Five Republican state legislators have filed a lawsuit seeking to halt the Legislative Council's investigation.

kagenaki koe
09-27-2008, 12:07 PM
i'm gonna L O L if they lose in november, cuz then her career back in Alaska will be fcked.

chuck
09-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Interesting thoughts.

Sarah, we're not that different, you and I. (http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/sarah_we_are_not_that_different_you_and_i.php)

"I've been thinking a lot about this nomination and rewatching the videos of Palin's interview. Honestly, it's all made me tremendously sad. There are lot of us lefties who are guffawing right now and are happy to see Palin seemingly stumbling drunkenly from occasional interview to occasional interview. I may have been one of them. But I'm out of that group now."

I don't feel sad or sympathy for Palin - she made her choice.

But I definitely wonder why she did it - I mean what did she really think would happen. I learned early in my working life - that it's far better to be honest - if you don't know something, or don't know how to do something - say so.

Don't bullshit on your ability - because you'll always get caught out.

And this is high stakes - and Palin's getting caught out in front of everyone.

I think even the GOP and the most faithful are seeing that.

BeautifulBurnout
09-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Interesting post, Chuck. And interesting to read the comments too.

I think what is niggling away at the back of my mind now is this: this has all been a big set-up.

Get the pretty, gutsy, christian hockey-mum lady up there, get the rednecks loving her for her huntin' an' fishin' down-to-earthedness (forget all the lies and half-truths, she's a darling, this one) then have her fail miserably because the "liberal press" and "those nasty Democrats" are being so mean to her - poor woman, she is trying so hard!

And then count the millions of sympathy votes that come flying in on November 4th because everyone is so horrible to her and she is really quite a cutie....

Deckard
09-28-2008, 02:58 AM
When it comes to her performance, remember how low the bar was set prior to the Republican convention, and the way she exceeded expectations? I just hope the same doesn't happen in the VP debate this Thursday. She won't win it on conventional grounds of course - she might be able to memorise lines, but her off-the-cuff speaking is cringeworthy - but she might just perform better than expected. That need not be by much, but it might be enough to make Biden look like a bit of an ass, especially if he makes a gaff or two or comes across as condescending.

It's his to lose and hers to "do better than expected".

I hope that doesn't happen.

Deckard
09-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh my god!

This clip could be the funniest thing I've seen in ages. Tina Fey back in Palin mode, this time doing an interview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/27/tina-fey-as-sarah-palin-k_n_129956.html

So ridiculously perceptive and funny, I feel guilty about how much I just laughed! :D

chuck
09-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Superb.

Tina Fey nails it to a tee - and I think she even offers some actual policy in there. The bit about "dollar value meals" sounds like something that could actually be implemented!

Poehler's take on Couric is great too - the stunned pauses and blinking "wtf???" looks.

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Superb.

Tina Fey nails it to a tee - and I think she even offers some actual policy in there. The bit about "dollar value meals" sounds like something that could actually be implemented!

Poehler's take on Couric is great too - the stunned pauses and blinking "wtf???" looks.

Couric Rocks.

Deckard
09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Superb.

It's almost more Palin than Palin, and she (the real one) must be mortified watching it - assuming she had the sound turned on this time.

Meanwhile, speculation about McCain's possible next stunt - a Palin wedding (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4837644.ece).

"It would be fantastic," said a McCain insider. "You would have every TV camera there. The entire country would be watching. It would shut down the race for a week." ... "What's the downside?" a source inside the McCain campaign said. "It would be wonderful. I don't know that there has ever been a pre-election wedding before."

Please let them do it. Please. Because I'm convinced the US public couldn't possibly fall for that without starting to seriously question McCain.

cured
09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Palin quote generator:
http://palinquotes.awardspace.com/

cured
09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
...and an interview generator:
http://interviewpalin.com/

Sean
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Meanwhile, speculation about McCain's possible next stunt - a Palin wedding (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4837644.ece).

"It would be fantastic," said a McCain insider. "You would have every TV camera there. The entire country would be watching. It would shut down the race for a week." ... "What's the downside?" a source inside the McCain campaign said. "It would be wonderful. I don't know that there has ever been a pre-election wedding before."

Please let them do it. Please. Because I'm convinced the US public couldn't possibly fall for that without starting to seriously question McCain.I bet cash money that a huge portion of the country would love it. I have so little faith in people right now....:(

jOHN rODRIGUEZ
09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
... I have so little faith in people right now....:(

Please elaborate.

(I can hear you wit coming. Seriously elaborate.)