Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > process.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 AM
bas_I_am
vision

Re: Contest! Need icon(s) for Web Application (A real one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
you shouldn't use the word 'contest' when you mean 'work for free'
it was a fucking icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
Why does everyone think the design community enjoys doing contests?!
It was open to anyone with any aesthetic talent.

I though someone could use 100 bucks.

Does the same go for remix contests?

Fucktards
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM
bas_I_am
vision

Christ. . . this really pisses me off. . .

Any self proclaimed member of "the design community" who was serious about making a living at it would have at the ready things they have already created, and the only work needed would be to make a 32x32 png out of it, thereby turning an unpaid work into a commodity.

fucktard art snobs.

I hope you don't have children depending on you for food and shelter.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
stimpee
Administrator

I think youre being a bit harsh on bas_i_am. $100 for an icon is fair isnt it? Maybe he could have worded things better but it is what it is (or was). Give him a break.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
ThingInABook
vision

as a designer, i'm not fond of going thru contests, specially regarding delicate things as logos or icons. i don't mind helping either and i think it was better to ask for help and 'hiring' someone instead of putting all of the choices in contest for a prize.

logos need development, it's not a thing of making one. sometimes it's a thing of going through 200 to 400 logos until you find the one.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingInABook View Post
as a designer, i'm not fond of going thru contests, specially regarding delicate things as logos or icons. i don't mind helping either and i think it was better to ask for help and 'hiring' someone instead of putting all of the choices in contest for a prize.

logos need development, it's not a thing of making one. sometimes it's a thing of going through 200 to 400 logos until you find the one.
Well. . . if this were a commercial product, I would totally agree. As it is a publically funded GOTS product, I can think of better things on which to spend taxpayer money.

We never contracted to design a logo. As a taxpayer, I would be a little irritated if we had.

As far as I am concerned, the DHIMs logo was more than adequate.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 AM
ThingInABook
vision

regarding that image, that ain't a logo per se. it's like a seal more than a logo. what would work as a logo and icon in reduced size would be the globe with the lifeline on.

where's my prize?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 AM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingInABook View Post
regarding that image, that ain't a logo per se. it's like a seal more than a logo. what would work as a logo and icon in reduced size would be the globe with the lifeline on.

where's my prize?
Unfortunately, this contest was either beneath you, or required too much unpaid work, for you to actually enter. Looking at your website, I believe you probably could have implemented that design in about 2-5 minutes.

On the other hand, you seem to have enjoyed wasting time engaging in supercilious dialog. But, it appears you got screwed a few times in the past entering contests.
Sorry to hear that. You probably would have won. Maybe next time you wont be so patronizing.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
fraser
life kid

Send a message via AIM to fraser Send a message via Yahoo to fraser
This thread seemed strangely familiar to me, but then I remembered where I'd read a similar exchange...

http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
ThingInABook
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
Unfortunately, this contest was either beneath you, or required too much unpaid work, for you to actually enter. Looking at your website, I believe you probably could have implemented that design in about 2-5 minutes.

On the other hand, you seem to have enjoyed wasting time engaging in supercilious dialog. But, it appears you got screwed a few times in the past entering contests.
Sorry to hear that. You probably would have won. Maybe next time you wont be so patronizing.
oh well, your loss. yeah, i could have expended 5mins in a logo, but my work goes a long way into doing something worthwhile.

and my work is serious. i don't enter contests because i refuse to waste my views over some people who lack or don't have the same vision as i. also, prolly i took 2 minutes to write both messages, so i don't believe i actually wasted some vital time in doing that. enough blahblah, good luck with your quest.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
ThingInABook
vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser View Post
This thread seemed strangely familiar to me, but then I remembered where I'd read a similar exchange...

http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html
yeah, that, totally.