Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Re: NEW ALBUM: Someday World (hyde+eno)
Still trying to decide what I think about the album, but I can confidently say that I really like the double gatefold packaging for the LP version. It's going to look cool framed on the wall

uw0006
Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 AM
Andrea
light at heart

If you have any doubts you should listen to the BBC 6 recording a couple of times, suddenly the CD version turns out to be massive.
It´s like magic, like lowering the world record and start from scratch without doping.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ynbfx

Interesting is that Sony is doing it the other way around with MJ´s new album.
As I understand this is the original recording of A Place Without No Name:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18...-no-name_music
Yet the Timberlake version of Love Never Felt So Good is more developed.

Now it definitely feels like Earthvision Song Contest
Old 05-10-2014, 04:06 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I kind of like the tweaks they did to Daddy's Car live.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:12 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Unique indeed

Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
lloyd
bungalow

Jools Holland show right now
http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv/bbc-2-live-stream
(prolly popup hell)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Really quite bad, I think. Seems very obviously cobbled together from leftover bits they both had lying around and lyrics that sound like they were written and sung within the same 20 minute period without any further consideration. There's a few cool noises and rhythms here and there but they're quickly molested or otherwise underdeveloped.

The BBC interview suggested that Eno and Karl went out of their way to make the album as unmusical as possible while still retaining some semblance of a pop structure. Well, most people call those 'bad songs.'

I love both of these artists but I think left to their own devices, they're probably too... I hesitate to use the word pretentious, but it's hard not to after hearing how weirdly they manipulated the creative process was... but yeah, too pretentious for their own good. Eno needs strong collaborators with strong points of view to focus his enormous talents and I think after Edgeland and Someday World, we can say the same about Karl too.

Earlier in the thread someone said two musical geniuses collided to cancel each other out and I agree completely. They really seem to have brought out only the worst qualities in each other, and it's disheartening to hear them talk about how thrilled they both are with the experience and the results. This album is meandering, noodly, cloying and at times actually dissonant, and not in the good way.

I mean, god bless them, this is their life and their work and they can do what they like, but it's definitely not the sort of thing I'm interested in hearing more of.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 AM
qirex
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Really quite bad, I think. Seems very obviously cobbled together from leftover bits they both had lying around and lyrics that sound like they were written and sung within the same 20 minute period without any further consideration. There's a few cool noises and rhythms here and there but they're quickly molested or otherwise underdeveloped.

The BBC interview suggested that Eno and Karl went out of their way to make the album as unmusical as possible while still retaining some semblance of a pop structure. Well, most people call those 'bad songs.'

I love both of these artists but I think left to their own devices, they're probably too... I hesitate to use the word pretentious, but it's hard not to after hearing how weirdly they manipulated the creative process was... but yeah, too pretentious for their own good. Eno needs strong collaborators with strong points of view to focus his enormous talents and I think after Edgeland and Someday World, we can say the same about Karl too.

Earlier in the thread someone said two musical geniuses collided to cancel each other out and I agree completely. They really seem to have brought out only the worst qualities in each other, and it's disheartening to hear them talk about how thrilled they both are with the experience and the results. This album is meandering, noodly, cloying and at times actually dissonant, and not in the good way.

I mean, god bless them, this is their life and their work and they can do what they like, but it's definitely not the sort of thing I'm interested in hearing more of.
I couldn't put my finger on why I can't get into these solo projects but this was right on point and beautifully stated.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

While I rather dig edgelands, I miss hearing ricky... Speaking of, did anyone watch babylon beyond the pilot?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:23 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
Speaking of, did anyone watch babylon beyond the pilot?
The rest of the series has not aired yet.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:00 PM
lloyd
bungalow

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/sund...lon-uk-series/

Fall 2014 for UKs Channel 4
2015 on Sundance