The Roots - Rising Down
Bun B - II Trill
Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III

if you like rap!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
matt
old man einstein

Re: 2008 so far.
anyone else fancy contributing to this thread..?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
gambit
magic city writer

You all needed to listen to Does It Offend You, Yeah?'s You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into at least a month ago. I love this album. It's like Digitalism only better, more consistent, and more exciting.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
anyone else fancy contributing to this thread..?
until then, I'll keep it going...

I don't know if its M.I.A. or some other semaphore to the music industry that the third world is actually capable of making marketable music, but here we are with 3 great releases from the soundway label available at your favorite local snooty indie music shoppe. (at least that's where I found mine)

The releases are brilliant because they are quintessentially african sounds crafted into the best music movements to come out of the states and the uk for the entire 70's. So they will tweak your ears enough to sound fresh, the way maybe herbert legitimized big band music for the club kids. Only they aren't the sounds of a dj savant in a musical sandbox. They are heartbreakingly sincere musicians evoking the very sweat and lights of a parallel club which you long to be a part. All A+'s

Nigeria Disco Funk Special: Sound of the Underground Lagos Dancefloor 1974-1979

Nigeria Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds and Nigerian Blues

Nigeria Rock Special

youtube :

Kraak & Smaak are not going to bring world peace or defy all conventions, they are, however, great at what they do. dance floor songwriting in the tradition of bent or lemonjelly B+

- Mark Twain

Last edited by Strangelet; 07-24-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
You all needed to listen to Does It Offend You, Yeah?'s You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into at least a month ago. I love this album. It's like Digitalism only better, more consistent, and more exciting.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no...

I think these are terrible and sum up everything that's wrong with the 'new rave' sound today. They're not a patch on Justice or Digitalism and sound to me like a normal indie band who thought they'd jump on a bandwagon.

This review sums them up perfectly, imo:

Quote:
You mustn’t hate Does It Offend You, Yeah?. They want you to hate them; it’s a leading question.
Consider the facts: the Reading quartet's debut showcases a singular talent for annoying names - ‘We Are Rockstars’ and ‘Epic Last Song’ to name just a few - seemingly designed with the express intent of getting up your nose.

It seems reasonable to expect, therefore, a knowing bumfuck of a record, an aesthetically pukesome collision of the mad, the bad and the ugly. In fact, You’ve No Idea What You’re Getting Yourself Into isn’t so much offensive as it is vapid and dull, the kind of crass party music that tries to pass laziness off as fun by dint of its being consciously shallow.
Actually the more pertinent question posed on You've No Idea... would seem to be the rather more concise ‘will this do yeah’, opening as it does with the sound of feckless frat party revellers feeding pizza slices into Justice’s disk drive on ‘Battle Royale’.

The strident onslaught and cymbal splashes of ‘With A Heavy Heart (I Regret To Inform You)’ are a soulless echo of DFA 1979, while ‘Let’s Make Out’ sounds like an nth rate Cameo tribute act doing facile take-offs of !!! And ‘Doomed Now’ layers fatuous vocoder effects over a lumpen 4/4 gallop, sadly indicative of DIOYY?’s sweet tooth for redundant pastiche over anything of substance.

A shame, really, since there are couple of songs here displaying a melodic facility far in excess of the record’s dumbed-down intent. 'Dawn Of The Dead''s estuary-vowelled ‘80s pop channels the vogueish likes of Psychedelic Furs and Simple Minds into a satisfying whole that fairly sparkles next to the hollow excesses in evidence elsewhere. And ‘Weird Science’ reworks the same formula into a crystalline white-bred funk reminiscent of Foals doing Duran Duran.

But really, it’s not enough to paper over the gaping hole where DIOYY?’s soul should be; an absence that’s not so much worthy of our moral indignation, as a leading question of our own: does it sound like a mediocre record, yeah?

4/10
Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM
kid cue
ryooong

my favs so far--

Trimski Soulfood Vol.3
Former Roll Deep member with an ectoplasmic flow. A very strange, introspective, and inspired mixtape with highlights such as the mental 8-bit "The Low-Dan" and sino-dubstep collabo "The Bits" with Dusk & Blackdown. There's also an indirect diss to Dizzee Rascal in "It's A Cold World" that strikes me as quite hurtful.

Portishead Third
Flying Lotus Los Angeles
The Bug London Zoo

JME Famous?
Tinchy Stryder Cloud 9: The EP
Jammer Are You Dumb? Volume 3
More grime that should really be reaching a wider audience than it probably has. JME and Tinchy both have star potential; Jammer's mixtape is just out of control and reminds me of Elephant Man or Ward 21 albums at their most hedonistic.

Grouper Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
Ghostly, meditative, kind of perplexing folk record.

Times New Viking Rip It Off
Loud 90s-style indie record with a punk sensibility in its abrasive recording techniques & the length of the songs ... I think I like this better than the No Age record from this year, it sounds even more unstable & urgent.

V/A Subtle Audio Vol. 1
Melancholic artcore drum & bass compilation.

Re-releases of old stuff:

Gas Nah Und Fern
Despite its cloaked, muffled sound, techno that's big and massive and important-sounding (an antidote for these confusing times).

A Guy Called Gerald Black Secret Technology

Ragga Twins Step Out
I haven't heard this, but it's probably awesome.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

First Communion Afterparty - Sorry For All The Mondays And To Those Who Can't Sing

www.myspace.com/firstcommunionafterparty

Trippy psychedelic music.

Last edited by mmm skyscraper; 07-25-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue View Post
Re-releases of old stuff:

Gas Nah Und Fern
Despite its cloaked, muffled sound, techno that's big and massive and important-sounding (an antidote for these confusing times).
Agreed. It's otherwordly. It scares me. And also, even with so few elements, he creates so many colours and vibes, it's amazing
Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
No, no, no, no, no, no, no...

I think these are terrible and sum up everything that's wrong with the 'new rave' sound today. They're not a patch on Justice or Digitalism and sound to me like a normal indie band who thought they'd jump on a bandwagon.

This review sums them up perfectly, imo:
If you only knew the irony you are speaking.

And, forgive me (I wouldn't sample, edit, spin, adjust-to-my-taste, etc. your words even if I could), but this would be so much more right if you used the "wrong" before bandwagon.