Romford no more

Re: 2015-03-05 Bristol - Hyde and Price
Guardian review: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...l-colston-hall

tl;dr: Reviewer loved it, Rick has a "serious eye infection"
Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM
mothra
river

Haven't seen Underworld since 2008 and before then, so tried really hard to get to see them at the RFH but to no avail, then managed to get tickets for Bristol. I was gutted though that being a lifelong purveyor of Underworld that most of the crowd that went to the Bristol gig were really not interested in hearing the album and especially the nuances of delicate tracks like Tongue, River of Bass and M.E. The crowd seemed that they were at any old club and treated the event as a club thing. I dont want to hear the crowd at all, don't mind dancing, but is it me? 47 years old and thought there was no respect for Underworld. I don't know.. but it has put me off going to see them again, as the majority of the crowd only seemed to really enjoy Born Slippy! Why all the talking???? bizarre. Is this a new thing anyone?
Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Never seen them myself, but there's not ever been a show i've been to with a particularly great crowd, sans a couple small shows back in 2010.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:27 PM
BishBash
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothra View Post
most of the crowd that went to the Bristol gig were really not interested in hearing the album and especially the nuances of delicate tracks like Tongue, River of Bass and M.E. ... Is this a new thing anyone?
Some thoughts on this, as I experienced the issue at Hammersmith too. The tracks that the crowd talked over weren't particularly loud or 'dancable' (though M.E is surely good for a nice laid back shuffle). So that didn't help. I go to my fair share of gigs and it depends on the gig, but this is still one of the worst I have experienced in relation to talking. I can think of an Arcade Fire gig at Brixton Academy (Neon Bible tour) where the crowd were so into it that they carried on singing the bands songs in unison after the gig had clearly ended (fair play!), so it can depend on the band and their respective fans I think. Also, I hate to say this but I'm afraid Born Slippy is something of a double edged sword. In the same way that Prodigy's Firestarter seems to encourage a section of their audience to believe they have free license to act like aggressive arseholes, Born Slippy - which is almost a calling card for UW- may have attracted people to UW who think that seeing them live is just about getting pissed up and acting like lager lager lager lout ravers. I caught Caribou live at Brixton Academy this weekend. I was concerned beforehand that their less than full-on brand of dance music might not work as a proper gig. But they resolved the issue simply by playing fucking loud! So perhaps that's the answer here. I know people complain about "loudness wars" on CD's but in the live setting, a but a of a loudness war from the mixing desk during the mellower tracks might be the solution. If people can't be heard, they won't talk!