Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:52 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Re: Depeche Mode - But Not Tonight
so where did this come from? i thought i was in an underworld forum...

btw - i'd pitch in my 2 cents on this track, but not tonight...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post
so where did this come from? i thought i was in an underworld forum...
seems many of us are former modies. or maybe still current, i don't know. i don't consider myself a modie anymore but brother was i ever back in the day...
Old 05-15-2010, 01:52 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
a modie
I love it! I'm a total Modie. Have been since high school! For a while, my wife kept saying, "Everytime you make a compilation it turns into a Depeche Mode compilation..." Hahaha... it was true... now it seems like I turn my mixes into underworld mixes now. I can't get enough of them!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
it's a flawed album with some moments of pure musical innovation, but it struggles to keep its momentum and at times feels like it's trying too hard.

what i like about "but not tonight" is that it doesn't try. it's a total fluff throwaway, and regardless of what happened in the aftermath with the record label promoting it and trying to use it to break into teen pop, they wrote and produced it and something at the time told them it was worth putting out for the world to hear. there's a sentiment in the song that at the time of writing simply needed to be shared and the simplicity and joy of it are such a relief after listening through the grimace and glower of the rest of the album.

personally i've always gravitated towards the b-sides because there's usually a lighter hand and a departure from the rest of the album that's refreshing. "sea of sin," "happiest girl," "death's door," "surrender," "ice machine," "route 66," and "pleasure little treasure" are some of my favorites because they're such a break from the context of the album during which they were released.

hell, i'm listening to "(set me free) remotivate me" right now and it's a total throwaway candy pop track that i really like.

i guess i like bands for their sound, and appreciate them more when they don't sound like themselves. which usually means b-sides.
guess you need a b-sides compilation then! some of the bsides are great and others are pretty bad. Fly On The Windscreen was a b-side tho so some can be really great. Kaleid and Fools are two of my favourite DM tracks, but this tune, But Not Tonight really doesnt fit because of the mood of the album its been added to. I think this album is a bit darker than the previous, and indeed the following. BNT would have fitted better on either of them.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 AM
cacophony
disquietude

kaleid is an awesome b-side. i get what you're saying about fitting the mood of an album and for the most part i agree. but heck if can resist BNT.

and now that you mention it i definitely need to put together a DM b-side playlist. i've never listened to them back-to-back and now i think i NEED to.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM
chems1919
mouseman

I could never get into But Not Tonight. I love Black Celebration and I'm glad the track didn't make it on the album. As Stimpee said, the song is just way too poppy. There's so many other quality tracks like Fly on the Windscreen, Stripped and even the title track.

/2 cents.