Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
adam
blue

The Akira manga
THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS - THESE SPOILERS ARE SEPARATE FROM THE MOVIE AND UNIQUE TO THE MANGA - IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT, DO SO

I just finished reading this series for the I-don't-know-how-many-th time.

I adore it like I adore few other things. I love it because of the amazing depth of human effort that it represents. Whenever I'm thinking about my own creative endeavours, and am having difficulty with realizing some of my ideas, I can turn to this work and be absolutely humbled by what one person can accomplish with a little dedication.

The detail in the artwork is astounding. The city backdrops are meticulous.

It's so bloody cinematic as well. There are sequences of panels that are just bloody brilliant in their storytelling. The use of film techniques to deliver key sequences is masterful.

But the story gets me every time. Tetsuo is a bit of a bastard towards the beginning, but he's so sympathetic in the final book. When the colonel finally catches up with him, and Tetsuo turns towards him, and says, "Look. I got my arm back," right before the colonel blasts him with Sol, it breaks my heart. Also, every scene involving Kaori's death, and her attempted resurrection. Damn.

But what actually brings me to tears each time I finish the series is that final scene, when Kaneda is riding through the tunnel, and he sees Yamagata and Tetsuo riding on either side of him. Kills me.

Thank you Katsuhiro Otomo.

It's like Donnie Darko, when every time I experience it I desperately want it to end a different way.

Last edited by adam; 10-25-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Re: The Akira manga
I haven't read it, but I like the movie a lot. A little bit impersonal but Tetsuo is one of my favorite characters in anime ever. Prolly the manga is a lot better.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

I thought the Akira original manga was horrible (I've read all six volumes). One of the worst comics I've ever read. Sorry. There was just too much shit going on and terrible translation to English. Extremely confusing compared to the movie. The movie, of course, is awesome. ;(
Old 10-26-2006, 05:56 AM
adam
blue

You're an idiot.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Lewl.

The comic was too long. Too much ridiculous crap going on. It's like ten years of comics to explain what could have explained in a two hour film.

It's not a coincidence that they were able to cut %85 of the comic story from the movie and it didn't lose a single part of the narrative. It's because %85 of the comic was frivolous crap.

I'm sure if I read the comic before the movie I would have a better opinion of it. Too bad that's not the case.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:50 PM
adam
blue

To each their own, I guess. I think it's bloody brilliant. And I did see the movie first, as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM
adam
blue

just to be clear: you did read the dark horse version? cuz i know katsuhiro otomo was really unhappy with the marvel version.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Yes, I read the six Dark Horse "phonebooks". I unfortunately bought them all at once, thinking the series couldn't possibly be bad. Oh man what a mistake. I have never almost fallen asleep during a comic, all that pointless dialogue. ;(

I have no love for Akira manga.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
adam
blue

They aren't even close to bad. They're just not your taste, which you've revealed to be so weird that I'm confused. I don't find any of it pointless. I would say it's one of the top comics ever, and I've read my share.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Oh man you came out swinging! My taste in comics is awesome, my opinions of them infallible. Rarely do I even give a bad review. Instead of being confused, you should thank me for helping sway people from this terrible read. The Akira movie is just like the comic only strained of all the bullshit! *shove*