Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Forgotten Sanity
Dirty Bomb

Beck - Sea Change
You know... it's really funny how a record can have an incredibly hard time standing on its own, but when that certain mix of ingredients come together the record becomes perfect. Sorry to say for Beck's part but after having a particularly ugly and miserable day, I dusted this record off and it's really saved my day.

How incredible is this guy, to be able to make such incredibly fun tracks and then turn around and write such sublime music. He's definately one of the most underrated musicians out today, just like Sea Change is one of the most underrated, undeservedly-panned records.

And if you still don't agree, have a piss-poor day and then put on "Guess I'm Doing Fine"... that song does in five minutes what masseuses hope to accomplish in an hour.
Warning: The above post stands a high chance of being rife with sarcasm, cynicism and/or a tongue-in-cheek remark. May not be suitable for children under the age of 12, small farm animals and adults with a sense of humor comparable to a stale cracker. If any of these criteria apply to you, it is advisable to use extreme caution when handling said post, and if irritation occurs consult your physician.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Re: Beck - Sea Change
As much as I say I like Beck and appreciate his music and talent, I never really have the desire to listen to his albums. I can't explain why. Odelay is a classic, but I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to the whole thing. I never got in to Guero. It seemed to lack balls. To paraphrase some review I read, it's the only Beck album that tries to sound like a Beck album. I have Mutations and Midnite Vultures, which are both fine, and I'd probably really like Mellow Gold and his earlier folkier stuff.

But the one Beck album I consistently listen to is Sea Change. Some write it off as a mopey folk album, but I really like the simple yet emotional songs. There's no tricks or anything special about it, just certain plain quality that makes it great. 'Golden Age' I think is my favorite, and there's also a nice Flaming Lips cover of it.

Beck is one artist who I wish will keep making music for the rest of his life. Even decades from now, I know he'll still be making good music. What other current musicians would you say that about today?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:23 PM
*_*
Hommeestunepassioninutile

ditto. only Beck album i own.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:22 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

Thank you for posting this. Sea Change is not only the best album from Beck to me, is one of the best albums ever. Is super underrated album, i can't understand people taht said don't like it. The mood of that album is somehting i never heard before, is just beautiful.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

I must confess I never listened to any Beck album besides "Odelay".

Old 11-04-2005, 09:31 AM
purlieu
enofa

My only problem with Sea Change - other than a couple of dull songs in the second half - is the production. Godrich managed to make all the guitars sound flat and added silly novelty whooshy bleepy endings to the songs. Again. As if he hadn't shat that crap out over Travis, The Divine Comedy and Radiohead in the past.
I can't listen to Round The Bend. Such a beautiful, moody, stirring song until the last ten seconds when Godrich goes I KNOW I'LL PUT THE WHOLE THING OUT OF TUNE!!!!!!!1
Ugh.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:16 AM
*_*
Hommeestunepassioninutile

yeah, nigel godrich does have some cliche signature production techniques; but seriously, with a gem like 'sea change' i can get past it all without batting an eye.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:47 AM
purlieu
enofa

It takes the shine off the album for me. But the arrangements and songwriting are excellent.