Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Anyone had (or considered) laser eye surgery?
If you've had it done, did it work? Any problems? Complications?

If you've not had it done, what do you think of the risks?

I'm seriously thinking about it for myself. Just need to get over my sickening fear of the procedure. Currently there's this disparity between the pictures in their glossy brochures - all bleached out models smiling, super-modern clinics, etc - and the picture in my mind, which resembles something along the lines of an early Buñuel film.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Anyone had (or considered) laser eye surgery?
ew yes i have seen that film.

i wouldn't ever do it because to me, the risk is too great that something terrible would happen and i would lose my eyesight. i don't care if the risk is 1 in a million, what if i'm the one? i'm not doing surgery unless it's absolutely necessary and i wouldn't advise anyone else to. contact lenses work just fine for me, and i'll stick to that. to me, it's a small price to pay to keep my eyesight. in addition, i have astigmatism and myopia, so it would probably be a much more complicated surgery, but is easily fixed by contact lenses.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Yeah I still want to find out what % of people end up with worse eyesight. That will be the deciding factor for me, I think.

The 'complication rate' of the procedure I'm considering is 1 in 2750, but that's mostly minor stuff - misalignment, needing retreatment, etc. How much of it is 'minor' I also need to find out.

To date there's never been a case of permanent blindness reported (out of more than 20 million treatments) and right now I think I'm more put off by the ickyness of it all than the high-impact-low-probability risk of being the first to lose my sight. Still, you're right to feel concerned about it.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Everyone I know who's been approved as a good candidate(if that's the right term for this, but I think you know what I mean) as approved by their optomitrist(sp?) has told me this procedure was the best decision they'd ever made.

I cannot get this done as I'd have the "Halo Effect" due to the shape of my cornea or something and both doctors advised it would not be a wise choice to go through with. I would suggest, as was to me, to get two trusted doctor opinions to see if it would work for you.

Good luck!!!!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

friends of mine have done it. i think complications are very rare. i'd probably do it if i had the money...i've lost too many glasses by now

Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Thanks, and yes I've heard quite a few 'Best decision I ever made' type comments floating around as well.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Good question. I find myself considering it from time to time too but it is quite scary. I'm not afraid of the procedure itself, but there's some extreme stories doing the rounds on the interwebs of course, with people ending up with unfixable complications/worse than before eyesight. But of course it's hard to tell the numbers/percentages and what the exact circumstances were. I've got -5 on both eyes so without my contacts I'm pretty helpless Still i don't really mind wearing them and I'll probably stick with them for a while longer.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Caprice
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
I've got -5 on both eyes so without my contacts I'm pretty helpless Still i don't really mind wearing them and I'll probably stick with them for a while longer.

I've got -5 too!!!!

My left eye used to be the weaker one but this year when I got my new prescription both eyes have finally leveled out to -5.

You can try the Bates method as an alternative, Aldous Huxley did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method

I also give this method a try time to time. Because I've worn my glasses more in the past year than contacts, I occasionally like to take off my glasses and wander around in the sun, its great for strengthening your eyes! I can't wander too far though because my vision is so poor. But after wandering in the sun with nothing but my bare eyes I get some interesting instances of "clearer vision."