Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 AM
hotpies
river

Encore!
I was just wondering what the point of an "encore" is? Everyone expects them, bands plan them into their setlists... Is there really any point to it all?

I write this after the Hyde Park gig. They did Jumbo, went off stage, everyone started to run off to the main stage for Fatboy Slim, then Underworld came back on again for Moaner to a semi-deserted tent, at which point everyone started running back. Wouldn't it be better if we did away with the "encore" and everyone would know where they're at..?

Discuss.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Mike
born013

Re: Encore!
Boring
Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Buji
mouseman

I quite like the picture of everybody running out of the tent and then screetching to halt and running straight back!! Like some sped up Benny Hill sketch with comedy music thrown in!!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 AM
super-saint
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpies View Post
I was just wondering what the point of an "encore" is? Everyone expects them, bands plan them into their setlists... Is there really any point to it all?

I write this after the Hyde Park gig. They did Jumbo, went off stage, everyone started to run off to the main stage for Fatboy Slim, then Underworld came back on again for Moaner to a semi-deserted tent, at which point everyone started running back. Wouldn't it be better if we did away with the "encore" and everyone would know where they're at..?

Discuss.
Well it gave me the opportunity to get from the very back of the tent to the very front
Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-saint View Post
Well it gave me the opportunity to get from the very back of the tent to the very front
Ditto! I was happy enough

And I just KNEW they couldn't finish a set like that with Jumbo, which is why I hung around.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 AM
hotpies
river

actually i got from the back to the front too, so it worked out ok for me
i was expecting a nice bit of moaner... mmm...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Well, Jumbo and Moaner have been the "expected" encore(s) for some time. But there are so many tracks that work as an effective set closer (e.g. Cowgirl/Rez, TMO, Nuxx)...
What would really be neat, imho, is if the boys escewed the expected and came back out for a deep cut...maybe a little Tin There or M.E.