Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 01:08 PM
monkeyboy
punk

Electronic vs Rock music (live)
I'd rather see a rockband when I go to a concert. Some reasons are because I sometimes think that electronic artists just press the "play" button and wave their hand a couple of times. This isn't always the case though.

When you see a rockband you can see how much effort they put in a gig. They connect better with the public...for example by telling jokes. The people at a rock-gig are very differrent too. I went to a Bloc Party gig yesterday and i loved how the crowd sung along. You don't see that kinda of shit at an electronic-gig. They also go ape-shit for some bands...like at the Bloodhound Gang gig I went to recently, people got up on stage and also got kicked off..there was loads of crowd-surfing too(i can understand that some people hate this)...in my opinion this is fucking great!

I'm not saying that electronic gigs are crap, because i love them too. But i think rock-gigs are better in general.

For a night out you can;t beat a good dj-set of course.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by monkeyboy; 12-04-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM
TheRev
mouseman

Re: Electronic vs Rock music (live)
I have problems at rock shows. I often don't know what to do with myself. There's a lot of standing around and staring at the band. People tend to stay where they are, there's no kinetic motion.

Whereas at a club / rave, part of the experience is the music and part of it is the crowd, mixing and intermingling.

I feel what you're saying about the "Liveness" of a rock band though and I'm waiting for that to start happening with electronic music. Mostly because I still love electronic sounds over acoustic. I love hearing sounds that make me go "what in the HELL was that" and then bouncing around the room and going out of my mind. I think very soon there will be people making electronic sounds and it being just as live as a rock show.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

concerts are arduous and unsatisfying.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:13 PM
stimpee
Administrator

At dance concerts, the crowd move more and dance more whereas at rock concerts people mostly just stand there (except for nutters in the mosh pit at the front). in a rock band, the musicians have set pieces to play and there are breaks in the song for each member to play to the crowd. with electronic music there are usually so many layers of music going on that it can be quite complex and requires more concentration. im sure its like playing a few instruments at once. Add to that in between songs theres a lot of sequences to set up and it doesnt leave much for chat in between.

Last edited by stimpee; 12-04-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:19 PM
votingfloater
waukrife

I love watching that gradient of appreciation at rock gigs. The nutbags at the front jumping up and down against the barrier; the already-fans jumping about and singing along a little further back; then with quite a sharp demarcation you move into the zone of nodding appreciation.

Rock gigs are great if you are a jump-around-fan. I used to like that when I was into a band. And a really tight band is a thing to behold (Maximo Park being a notable example recently but I haven't seen too much lately).

It's true though, the dance thing's often more communal.

More and more I like gigs where there is a real mixture of different groups in the crowd. That's where I've really enjoyed myself, looking back.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:42 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I'd rather see a rockband when I go to a concert.

For a night out you can;t beat a good dj-set of course.

What are your thoughts?
I think you should make your mind up mate

See faithless live and you get musicians playing Drums/bass/guitar/keyboards and you also get 'electronic music'..........and the crowd sings along
Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 AM
monkeyboy
punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog
I think you should make your mind up mate

See faithless live and you get musicians playing Drums/bass/guitar/keyboards and you also get 'electronic music'..........and the crowd sings along
I mean for night time i'd rather hear electronic music and for an evening rock music.

And no I don;t want to sing "We become one".
Old 12-05-2005, 04:45 AM
Leon
bungalow

Well I can't really choose between the two.
First of all, let's not compare a DJ with a rockband, that's just something different. Comparing a live-electronic act with a rockband comes much closer. But then, there is quite some difference between electronic acts too. You've got the button-pressers and you have those that really put effort in their liveshow (Underworld).

Last summer's Lowlands festival in Holland was my first real experience with rockmusic live and I have to say that it rocked I have respect for them doing it all live, all together and put on a great show for the audience.
But still I can't really say I like a rock performance better, as my love for electronic music is just really fucking huge and if done well, also ROCKS live. And by a rocking electronic performance I DO NOT MEAN THE AUDIO BULLYS!!!! Grrrr
Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I mean for night time i'd rather hear electronic music and for an evening rock music.
Ahhhhh i misunderstood you
Old 12-05-2005, 04:55 AM
Renze
mouseman

Hmmm...Well I think the visual aspect is important too. A rock band playing instruments live on stage can be quite impressive to look at. An electronic artist making music with Ableton Live is dreadfully boring to watch. I once saw Matthew Dear doing an Ableton performance and I just wasn't impressed (all you see is some guy looking at a computer screen and clicking a mouse, the whole show)