Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
starfox203
mouseman

Moon In Water
Reading through the boxed set, I was taken by the notes describing the inspiration for Moon In Water, which is from a Buddhist philosopher, Dogen Zenji, describing the moment of self-realization.

http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachin...an_Okumara.htm

"When a person attains realization, it is like the moon reflecting on the water. The moon never becomes wet; the water is never destroyed. Although it is a vast and great light, it reflects itself on a small amount of water. The whole moon and even the whole sky reflects on even a drop of dew on a blade of grass, or a single tiny drop of water. Realization does not destroy the person, as the moon does not make a hole in the water. The person does not obstruct realization, as a drop of dew does not obstruct the moon in the sky. The depth is the same as the height. [In order to investigate the significance of] the length and shortness of time, we should consider whether the water is great or small, and understand the size of the moon in the sky."

"Days and nights, in walking, standing still, sitting and laying down, if you always contemplate in this way, you will know that your own body is like the moon in water, the reflection in a mirror, the heat waves in a hot day, the echo in the empty valley. You cannot say it is a being (u) because even if you try to catch it you cannot see its substance. You cannot say it is non-being (mu) either because it is clearly in front of your eyes."

"Shakyamuni Buddha says,
The true dharma-body of the Buddha
Is like empty space.
Responding to things, it manifests its form.
It is like the moon in water."

Discuss.

Last edited by starfox203; 09-21-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Re: Moon In Water
...Well, that clears up a lot.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Listened to the original broadcast version of Moon in Water hundreds of times over the past few years (perfect song for the hot suana room at the gym). Very excited that they picked this track for the album and that on cd2 there's a new, almost instrumental version of the original. Both cd1 and cd2 versions are going to get fuckloads of listens too.

Very deep Zen/Buddha shit too.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM
revolver9
river

Wish I had a CD quality file of the broadcast version. I'm not digging the new voice and shiny synths.

Thanks for the post starfox.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Mr.Grumpy
river

i love the synths but i prefer the original voice as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Caprice
pants

this song brings out a good person in me.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Thank God!
Hope you are not alone
Old 09-27-2010, 12:49 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I wish we had a high quality mp3 of the broadcast version too. I do like the Barking version, but something about the computer voice sends chills up my spine in a way that a human voice can't.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
revolver9
river

Album version sounds like a remix by High Contrast. Especially because he loops the voice all over the place. Sounds gimmicky and steals the impact of the song for me with the FULL LYRICS by computer generated voice. Rick's little details are missing from the track in favor of a shiny generic sound. *shaking head* What were they thinking? Well I can hope the broadcast version finds it's way out as a b-side. This makes me feel better though:
Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver9 View Post
Album version sounds like a remix by High Contrast. Especially because he loops the voice all over the place. Sounds gimmicky and steals the impact of the song for me with the FULL LYRICS by computer generated voice. Rick's little details are missing from the track in favor of a shiny generic sound. *shaking head* What were they thinking? Well I can hope the broadcast version finds it's way out as a b-side. This makes me feel better though:
Whoa. I don't normally listen to their remixes, but that was great. Philosophy+D'n'b is almost as good as philosophy+ambient.