Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM
negative1

Electronic Sound Magazine interview and record
From the latest issue of Electronic Sound, an exclusive vinyl .

Electronic Sound Issue 41
Our new magazine + music bundle

The new issue of Electronic Sound offers a unique insight into the world of Underworld, as we spend the day with Karl Hyde and Rick Smith at their remote rural HQ. From 1994’s epic ‘Dubnobasswithmyheadman’, with its mysterious black and white sleeve art, to 2016's acclaimed ‘Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future’, there has always been something special about Underworld, their life-affirming melodies, beats and poetry connecting them to people all around the world. By the way, if you look closely at this month's magazine cover, you’ll find there's a little bit more to it than first meets the eye.

https://electronicsound.us4.list-man...8&e=180af72d15

This month’s exclusive vinyl is ‘World Of Underworld In Electronic Sound’, a limited edition seven-inch bringing together two fantastic Underworld tracks, one of which has never been released in the UK before and neither of which have ever previously been issued on vinyl.

One side of our single is ‘Twenty Three Blue’, which until now has only been available on the Japanese version of the ‘Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future’ album. Karl Hyde says it is one of his all-time favourite Underworld tracks. The other side is ‘Puppies’, which recorded around the time of the 1996 ‘Second Toughest In The Infants’ album and originally released on one of the remix CDs of the ‘Pearl’s Girl’ single.

later

Last edited by negative1; 05-02-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 AM
stargurl
mouseman

Re: Electronic Sound -
I was just coming here to post this!

This stood out in the longer blurb:
Quote:
The group are just about to launch a new project – World Of Underworld – and it sounds like it’s going to be an exciting new chapter in the band’s always fascinating story.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:47 PM
purlieu
enofa

Yeah, there's no way they'd have this much space in a magazine if there wasn't anything big to announce, so I think things are about to start hotting up.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Bought partly to get Puppies on vinyl.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:04 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

worldofunderworld.com has been registered to The Sunday Club (UW management) since the end of 2016, so I guess they've been working on this for a while. Also, the seminar they gave at ADE in October was titled World of Underworld.

Regarding the magazine, there will probably be a podcast episode available for the issue within the next few weeks here:

https://soundcloud.com/electronicsoundmagazine/tracks
Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 AM
kontakt1968
mouseman

Good interview , in fact its titled 4120 words about underworld, the text in the cover is really hard to read! vinyls nice , lovely tomato cover too
Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Any juicy details? In the online preview image, I can read where Rick says, "At the moment, I'm writing more than I've possibly ever done before. I don't mean spending more time in the studio, churning stuff out. I mean writing something and then quickly moving on because I want to get on to something else, something different, something new."
Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM
kontakt1968
mouseman

The writer was played 3 new tracks so no suprise theres new stuff coming, one was Brilliant yes that would be which was released 2 weeks after the interview. The second Rick described as " a real basher" a thumping acidic track apparently , the third a collaboration with Ashley Burchett described as " more subtle". They talk about the world of underworld as a project looking at their whole back catalogue as well as new stuff ( the single with the magazine is part of this new venture ) and talk about evolving some older tracks too citing the Rijksmuseum gig as an example. sounds promising...
Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

My copy arrived. The 7” is decent quality. Not a cheap rush job

Magazine cover had words embedded in to the triply black lines.

World of underworld sounds as if it’ll be a hub for revisiting old material and maybe giving it a lease of life, new material they can release on the fly, sound track work, solo work and any installation pieces. So it seems that it’ll be something that’ll be updated as and when with no fixed goals.

One of the new tracks is an acid number made on a custom made Eurorrack

Last edited by Dirty0900; 05-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontakt1968 View Post
The second Rick described as " a real basher" a thumping acidic track apparently
this must be the instagram story preview we got a few months ago:

reading what's been posted here, all of these teasers are definitely very promising! great things look like they'll be coming out of this 'world of underworld' project.