Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

Re: Unwarping Underworld Vocals (In Dubnobass)
Can a mod remove the "(In Dubnobass)" from the thread title? Probably more useful to have other albums covered in the same thread.

Confusion the Waitress
Confusion the Waitress has more of the distorted vocals but they change speed as if they were twisting a speed knob on a sampler while recording the song. I don't have a clip ready for it because it's difficult to account for the speed changes.
It says "Confusion the waitress" near the start, and near the end it sounds something like "then somebody told me, the waitress among eyes". There's a lot more vocals there to attempt to transcribe, but so much going on in the song above them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
Surfboy one was obvious to me - I've always sung along 'uuuunnnnddddeeerrrrrrwwwwooorrrrllllddddd!'
It is one of the more obvious ones, had to edit it a while ago to make sure I was getting it right for the lyrics on the songography though so figured I should include it now.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

Re: Unwarping Underworld Vocals
This is still so brilliant.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:48 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

There's also another one that I know of, and that's on Sola Sistim, where in the beginning minute or so, you can make out Karl saying, "Come get some orange juice, it's great".
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Brilliant.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

Juanita
The sped up Karl vocals where he names colours of passing vehicles. I slowed it down by about 50% so I could write the colours for the songography, at one point Karl seems to say "and cutting" which is the only non-colour word he says here.

Sappy's Curry
During the fade out at the end, you can hear someone very faintly saying something that sounds like "okay" before the song stops. It's slightly clearer if you unfade the ending. It could be debatable if this is someone speaking at all but its not a sound heard anywhere else in the song.

Pearl's Girl 14996
This song uses fragments of the Pearls Girl vocals, but one section uses fragments of the extra vocals from Pearls Ver2.

its white.
--r on stone.
on sand.

car its white deep blue and morocco,
the water on stone,
the water on concrete,
the water on sand and the,
fire smoke.

Holding The Moth
Some distorted vocal at the start of the song, which is just Karl saying "Alright well we'll give you the money for that blue felt fabric".

There's also a cut off vocal during the fade in Skym, which was confirmed in the demo to be part of some cut lyrics ("Do you--"). Tongue has more lyrics during the fade too ("I'm ready to use").
Really need to check other songs that end on fades.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Juanita Ending.mp3 (648.0 KB, 390 views)
File Type: mp3 Sappys Curry OK.mp3 (545.9 KB, 390 views)
File Type: mp3 Pearls 14996 Ver2 Comparison.mp3 (814.3 KB, 425 views)
File Type: mp3 Holding The Moth Fabric Comparison.mp3 (488.8 KB, 434 views)
File Type: mp3 Skym Comparison.mp3 (1.60 MB, 410 views)

Last edited by Resolute; 10-25-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 PM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
There's also a cut off vocal during the fade in Skym, which was confirmed in the demo to be part of some cut lyrics ("Do you--").
Have always loved this. It's a quiet response / challenge to flesh out the final lyric: "You say you love her - do you?"
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 AM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

I've updated the previous post with some audio files.

Dobropet
Not the Bruce Lee demo. This song begins with a cut up sample of a guitar and some of the vocals from Bruce Lee. This guitar sample is the same one that was edited for 8 Ball. This is a bit of a stretch for a thread about unwarping vocals, but I feel it's significant enough.

Unruly July
This track and Vocoder Monks were used for a Tomato exhibition, I think. Vocoder Monks uses elements from Can You Feel Me, while Unruly July uses vocoded lyrics and a percussion loop also used for Spoonman, Telegraph, River of Bass, Oh, Big Meat Show...

"Boy makes sound like a pig,
boy makes a sound like a bomb,
like a snake,
like a machine,
deep green and,
counting the numbers of deliverance."

These lyrics are also used in the "Mmm Skyscraper" art book, combined with the sample usage it seems Unruly July and Vocoder Monks are Dubnobass era.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Dobropet Guitar Edit.mp3 (713.3 KB, 410 views)
File Type: mp3 Unruly July.mp3 (319.4 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by Resolute; 10-25-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:08 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Some of this stuff is very enlightening
Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 PM
chrislaw
river

Most Ospitable. (or is it "Dark Train [Most Hospitable mix]")?

Just noticed the looped vocal right at the beginning and it's driving me crazy. Is it "Like a man, with a mamaah, hamahh, hamahhh?" Or is it entirely in French?

Sorry it's been a heck of a day

This is possibly my favourite bit of audio of all time. This has gotten me off so many bad trips I can't even begin to tell you. If there's ever a mood it fails to pull me out of, I'll let you know.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 AM
stimpee
Administrator

It does appear that UW dont work this way anymore which is a shame. Seems that Karl just lays down a vocal, or even worse attempts to sing things outside of his vocal range. This is prevalent on his solo non-UW albums and in certain tracks on DRIFT. The cut up vocoder or altered stuff is in itself an instrument. I dont like to hear Karl crooning.