Views:	214
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	480  
Old 09-18-2020, 11:23 AM
iamneorev
pants

Re: Karl Hyde - Reddit AMA: Sept. 18, 9am PST / 5PM BST
Karl
"Drift series 1 was a vision of rick’s to drive us all to play to our strengths and to encourage us to create music and art for a broader landscape than the underworld core sound. there was no idea of how it would end up or even what would be released from week to week it enabled us and drove us to dig deep and find answers on a weekly basis that we promised to publish in public and that promise was also a pain and a huge positive in pushing us to create openly and honestly. In many ways drift series 1 has it’s routes in river run and we recognise that the river run series is long overdue a proper physical release!!"

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please!
Old 09-18-2020, 11:24 AM
iamneorev
pants

Karl
"Around 2000 audiences changed. What people were listening to shifted as perhaps how they chose their recreationals changed. We transitioned because of audiences from a band that was encouraged to perform long open ended improvs which sometimes were fantastic and sometimes awful. Then around 2000 the mindsends of audiences shifted and we honoured that. It became a new challenge. We have a lot of live recordings that go back decades!"

Old 09-18-2020, 04:38 PM
negative1

I waited to see when questions were being answered. but somehow missed.

there were a lot of good answers. but then there were a lot of duplicates and short ones.

maybe someone will collate the questions answered here.

later
Old 09-18-2020, 05:08 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Anything unique from the past would of course be welcome. But I think UW's live shows have been well documented (I certainly have taken advantage of the ftp and torrent sites over the year and have dozens of gigs 1994-present). Sure, maybe a holy grail yet to be discovered, a rare improv or unreleased track or an album cut that got played out once. Let's hope! But my guess is that missing STITI shows, BF shows, AHDO shows and pre-Barking shows are very similar to what we already have.Indeed, some wonderful surprises and improvs circa 2005-2010, but thereafter, ehh? Pretty similar. Karl acknowledged this...
Old 09-18-2020, 11:18 PM
ReactorReactorReactor
returning to you

Send a message via AIM to ReactorReactorReactor Send a message via MSN to ReactorReactorReactor
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
Karl
"Around 2000 audiences changed. What people were listening to shifted as perhaps how they chose their recreationals changed. We transitioned because of audiences from a band that was encouraged to perform long open ended improvs which sometimes were fantastic and sometimes awful. Then around 2000 the mindsends of audiences shifted and we honoured that. It became a new challenge. We have a lot of live recordings that go back decades!"

I would gladly eat only lentils and rice for however long it takes to save for paying for all the live recordings. I have a bunch of old MP3s named only "European Club Gig", parts 1-18, that I found in Napster. Listening to those tracks was a magical experience. I can only imagine what their other live recordings are like, especially the early stuff.

Last edited by ReactorReactorReactor; 09-18-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:46 AM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorReactorReactor View Post
I would gladly eat only lentils and rice for however long it takes to save for paying for all the live recordings. I have a bunch of old MP3s named only "European Club Gig", parts 1-18, that I found in Napster. Listening to those tracks was a magical experience. I can only imagine what their other live recordings are like, especially the early stuff.
I'm with you there, buddy! Especially Dubnobass, STITI, BF era, I'd buy em all up. Any periods where they really improv and jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Anything unique from the past would of course be welcome. But I think UW's live shows have been well documented (I certainly have taken advantage of the ftp and torrent sites over the year and have dozens of gigs 1994-present). Sure, maybe a holy grail yet to be discovered, a rare improv or unreleased track or an album cut that got played out once. Let's hope! But my guess is that missing STITI shows, BF shows, AHDO shows and pre-Barking shows are very similar to what we already have.Indeed, some wonderful surprises and improvs circa 2005-2010, but thereafter, ehh? Pretty similar. Karl acknowledged this...
True, but pro-recorded in lossless from the boys? Me wants! I would love Fuji Rock 99 in lossless as the really low bitrate shows on that one. We got some good recordings, but all low bitrate or taped off FM recorded in "lossless," but not really lossless. Direct lossless recordings would sound loads better. Hell, I'd pay to have the good shows we do have upgraded.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:14 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
This is true... A lot of the bootlegs are pretty dodgy in terms of sound quality, I agree. Obviously, we have been blessed with "Everything, Everything" as a gold standard live album, but only a snippet of what they were/are about. I'd be up for remastered hi fi early gigs, but also a career-spanning collection of live tracks, seamlessly mixed as if a full show despite various sources, a la E,E.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:23 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

There's a few things he mentioned that were interesting. You can go to https://old.reddit.com/user/UnderworldOfficial to read all his responses, but here are the ones that stuck out to me:

1) They recognize demand for a physical release of Riverrun

2) The whole of the Experiemental Sound Field '92 was recorded

3) spoke to the more structured feel of 98+ live sets, "Around 2000 audiences changed. What people were listening to shifted as perhaps how they chose their recreationals changed. We transitioned because of audiences from a band that was encouraged to perform long open ended improvs which sometimes were fantastic and sometimes awful. Then around 2000 the mindsends of audiences shifted and we honoured that. It became a new challenge. We have a lot of live recordings that go back decades!"

The "sometimes fantastic and sometimes awful" bit really is key to why they don't do it now.

In another reply he says it's something they've discussed recently and are exploring alternative show settings where improvs would be more appropriate.

4) Rick's idea to put song names on the screen

A decent AMA, but he was only around for about an hour answering questions.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:00 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
I'd be up for remastered hi fi early gigs, but also a career-spanning collection of live tracks, seamlessly mixed as if a full show despite various sources, a la E,E.
I'd be down for that.

I'll also be fine if they gave us the older underworldlive.com live shows they posted just in better quality, like Fuji Rock 99 and those 2005 gigs.

Orbital have been putting audio of old live shows up on YouTube. They put their very first show and a couple of others. Seems to be a regular thing they're trying to do.