I'll never understand the decision to leave 23 blue off this album
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

Re: Barbara Barbara dirty reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
I'll never understand the decision to leave 23 blue off this album
Agreed. It's a fucking masterpiece. Maybe it was done so we'd all do what we're doing now, play with the tracklist and make our own interpretation?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

I think because it was a tonal thing. it's a thoroughly positive and encouraging album, and while I think including 23B would be a welcome facet, I'd also understand if it was pushing against the tide and felt out of place, regardless of how good it is.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:52 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
I think because it was a tonal thing. it's a thoroughly positive and encouraging album, and while I think including 23B would be a welcome facet, I'd also understand if it was pushing against the tide and felt out of place, regardless of how good it is.
I agree. Karl's said the first few tracks are a scaffolding of rhythm and Santiago's a bit of a breather. From Motorhome to the end, it's all positivity, so it makes no sense to tack 23 Blue at the end. I have it after If Rah in my playlist, just to keep the harder stuff up front.
It's an excellent track, but seems like it would be better as a B-Side to a single than as a tacked on closer. At least Simple Peal was unobtrusive, though it also didn't fit with the mood of Barking. Ah well, they're called Bonus Tracks for a reason, I suppose.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:45 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

But, let's remember that Moaner finishes off BF, just after "Something like a mama", arguably one of the most amazing calm UW tracks of all time - then Moaner comes in and punches you in the face.

I don't think it's bad when the tone changes like that. I can see how this song would have changed the feeling of the end of shining future, but honestly, it would have paled in comparison to the change between Moaner coming in.

Last edited by botkiller; 03-20-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:50 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

the scaffolding that I Exhale starts is repetitive and dull tho.

I shouldn't like the bonus track more than the others.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:06 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Guess what? I fell in love with Underworld when I was 21.
Now I'm 36. We all grow older.i like the early bangers, but I love tracks that touch multiple levels...
Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

I fell in love with underworld at 21 and am 41 now. doesn't change the fact that Exhale is a boring track. and even at 21 I loved the touching tracks. UW has always been about the hard and soft; salty and sweet. This album is missing that one salty track. The addition of 23B ALMOST fills the hole, but mainly it's the lack of a strong opening track. Exhale peaks 30 seconds in, in mediocre fashion.

I like the album... a lot. But 23B is just notch above most of the others and half of the people that buy the album won't ever hear it. I laugh at that thought.

Last edited by potatobroth; 03-20-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:45 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

So I guess I'll chime in here too since I'm also a veteran UW fan. Been listening to them since 1995 when Cowgirl was featured in the film Hackers. I wasn't terribly into techno at the time, but I had always been a huge Depeche Mode & Kraftwerk fan, so falling in love with the sound of Underworld was obvious.

My love for Underworld really didn't come until later when I really got into Pearl's Girl being featured in The Saint. At that point I was finally introduced to Born Slippy by a friend and then I obtained STITI. Instantly became a favourite of mine and still is by far for me their greatest LP. I really can't say that I have a least favourite because each LP has 1 or 2, and in some cases 3 of my favourite UW songs.

For me, there is something about Barbara Barbara that really moves me and gives me a really positive vibe. It's like finally reaching the light at the end of the tunnel by the time Nylon Strung starts, which for me is one of my favourite UW tracks now. I even have my wife and kids humming along to it, which makes the emotions run high.

My 2 daughters (4 & 10) had me repeating If Rah today. I love it!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Guess what? I fell in love with Underworld when I was 21.
Now I'm 36. We all grow older.i like the early bangers, but I love tracks that touch multiple levels...
I'm not trying to say that age determines things, and it's good to progress one's art. I'm glad that UW does and can, let's face it; they are literally probably the ONLY dance music outfit, save for FSOL, who can continue to make art, not just make songs to please radio and DJs. That is a huge fucking thing. I try to do that and I can't even get like one person to listen to my fucking music. I'm grateful that they change, evolve, and progress -- but the simple fact exists that many of us are UW fans from the 90s on and one way or another, we're going to be affected by changes in the sound, just as I was when KMFDM changed their sound in the early 00s. I still love both bands with all my heart, but it's in different ways.

I love shining future, it's not my top album, but that album always has and will be Everything Everything, because of the many memories that I associate with it. I'm fairly certain that album saved my life a good many times.