the fuckest upest

Re: currently reading?
High rise - J.G.Ballard ....................very interesting read
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
"What is the What" by Dave Eggers, based on the life story of Valentino Achak Deng.
http://www.valentinoachakdeng.org/
Wonderful mix of biography/fiction and history.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 AM
lloyd
bungalow

kafka - collected work
Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
Cool. I'm curious to know your reaction.
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely have to pick up another one. what's next on the list? wind up bird chronicles?

What I loved most about the book was the sense of resignation combined with bewilderment. And not just because he's obviously mixing kafka with anime pop culture. I think the writer really sees the world this way. The honesty of it, outside of the device, I think was what hit me. This could potentially be a zeitgeist book by a zeitgeist writer. Like a jd salinger or jack kerouak, someone you best enjoy reading when you're young or young in spirit, forming your opinion about the world's mechanics. This time around being the anxiety and horrific dread of a kafka scenario injected with disco lights, kareoke and cowboy bebop. Strange, powerful dynamics of beauty and evil whirling around the individual in current times.

or it could be about sex. which is alright too.

great read.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

the crow road - Iain Banks ......very good but probably only for brits maybe......
Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely have to pick up another one. what's next on the list? wind up bird chronicles?

What I loved most about the book was the sense of resignation combined with bewilderment. And not just because he's obviously mixing kafka with anime pop culture. I think the writer really sees the world this way. The honesty of it, outside of the device, I think was what hit me. This could potentially be a zeitgeist book by a zeitgeist writer. Like a jd salinger or jack kerouak, someone you best enjoy reading when you're young or young in spirit, forming your opinion about the world's mechanics. This time around being the anxiety and horrific dread of a kafka scenario injected with disco lights, kareoke and cowboy bebop. Strange, powerful dynamics of beauty and evil whirling around the individual in current times.

or it could be about sex. which is alright too.

great read.
Awesome! Glad to learn that you enjoyed it. Since recommending it to you I had an interesting argument with an individual who felt the entire conceit of the novel was very contrived and useless. You can't win over everyone I guess.

If you enjoyed that one a great deal I must ask if you would rather read another novel first or a short story collection?

If you're thinking novel, read his first novel A Wild Sheep Chase. While not technically his first novel it was the first to be translated into English. If a short story collection is what you may be interested in, The Elephant Vanishes is a worthy second.

My vote for you is A Wild Sheep Chase though.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

tonight i have been mostly reading.............beer mats
Old 06-30-2008, 12:44 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

U.S.! by Chris Bachelder.

I really loved his first novel Bear v. Shark and this is pretty good so far, but quite different.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer. A bit heavy on the romantic side. Girls are going to eat this s. up.

Hitler's Scientists - John Cornwell. Scary how interesting this is.

Started reading Nymphos of Rocky Flats for a chuckle. Who comes up with this s?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

john, you are very interesting and strange, i must come over to the us of a again and maybe meet you sometime as i think we could have a laugh...unless you fancy coming over to the shitehole to see us.....