Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:10 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Re: Tour 2007
yannick posted this in the irc. dunno where he got it from:

"16 June 2007, stopped due to episodes. Burning cars, firemen try to stop the fire, Underworld never showed up. The bars were under attack, everyone got a bottle of booze or two. greek festivals will never die. Eject festival's organizers should give us our money back. such a shame, underworld please come again."

Last edited by stimpee; 06-17-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

That seriously sucks
Old 06-17-2007, 02:27 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

stimpee, that quote's from the video description for the second YouTube video Troy McClure linked to. I guess that's why there's been no update to underworldlive.com.

Here's another video from Istanbul. It's Cowgirl, with what appears to be new video of some lovely dancing from Dirk Van Dooren:

From the first Istanbul video Lloyd posted, I could only make out what sounds like Biro the Leggy. Between this year and last year, Biro sure is getting a lot of live play. Is it, perhaps, finally going to make it onto an album?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:59 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Comments posted to Underworld's MySpace over the last few hours:

"guys what happend @eject festival in greece...?"

"hi, you are supposed to play at ejekt festival in Greece, what happened?I am very sad about that..."

"I was at ejekt fest and somebody told us that these idiots, who started smashing everything and burning cars, hurted a member of underworld. Of course I am sad that your show canceled (especially this way) but I hope that the band member is ok. I don't believe that you will visit Greece but we realy want to see you here...

But you have to know that there are manny people here in greece that want to see you live.

cheers!"

Regarding that last one, given that it's 23rd-hand information, I'm sure whatever the situation was got exaggerated into "Some1 killed Underworld! zOMG!!1!!" and that they're OK. Still though, sounds like the festival got crazy in Greece.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 AM
lloyd
bungalow

OMG

I hope everybody is fine
Old 06-17-2007, 04:13 AM
stimpee
Administrator

User avel599 at last.fm made a comment on the event page for the festival. He said "Another fiasco in the world of greek concerts." so i sent an email and got the following response back:

This might all be greek to you but the photos are self-explanatory:

http://www.avopolis.gr/live/default.asp?ID=827

A short summary:

- Support groups and Madness played normally

- Beastie Boys had 10-15 minutes to go but left the stage.

- The organisers opened the gates for people to enter without tickets (!!), and with them, some bad-formed "anarchists" entered and started burning cars and doing all sorts of ... bad things :/

- Basically the security / safety measures were terrible in the end, even though at the start it all frankly looked like exceptional work from the organizers

- We were informed that a member of Underworld was injured and thus they could not play at all. I also just got a message that he got hit by a brick on his head. I don't know if this is true, or if he got injured at all and this was just an excuse to make us leave the dangerous site. I hope it was a lie and that he's OK...

Hope this helps. Feel free to relay it to the forums.

---

Here is a babelfish translation of the page linked above. The relevant text being:

"Immediately afterwards the premature finishing of appearance of Beastie Boys, and with the tobaccos from the burn of cars precisely outside from the space, were immediately announced the wound of member of Underworld and the end vradja's, that or alicey'ej or no, it was the better excuse in order to it finishes the festival and are avoided the villains."

which doesnt look good at all.

I'll try to update here if i find anything else.

UPDATE: from http://tinyurl.com/2uesgo

"
23.15 Begins first ntoy to the backstages and the battle. Somebodies (even irrelevant) leave from the middle in order to they avoid the fury koykoylofo'rwn which vrj'zoyn the organisation, threaten, chase. From that point it is obvious that it could not become concert Underworld. Oj Beastie Boys fey'goyn a'ron-a'ron. The vandalisms mupltiply, in the spaces in, in the bar, in funds - we speak henceforth for loot. It is announced that member of Underworld was wounded. In all the panic, the attack to the backstages and the broken panes, us it would not make by no means impression. However thus and differently the festival anymore had other protagonists... It had finished..."

Last edited by stimpee; 06-17-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:50 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: Tour News 2007
Fuck i was expecting to see how good the live set up was, not to read this. God knows what happened, but i hope everyone over there is ok and no-one is hurt.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:09 AM
crazysugarboy
pants

This sounds terrible! Like everyone else on this thread, I hope everyone in u/w (band and crew) is ok
Old 06-17-2007, 05:54 AM
lloyd
bungalow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8817549...7600380174755/

pictures of the terrible situation at the ejekt festival in Athens
Old 06-17-2007, 07:19 AM
lloyd
bungalow

Well... after searching the web for news we think this did happen.
Tickets were 60 euro and the festival ground was only half full, there were people outside wanting in without tickets. Somewhere during the beastie boys concert, security/organizer (it seems) decided to open the gates to stop/prevent trouble.There are reports about fights at the gates and security getting out of hand (also that one member of the public was beaten up by security). Word about this got around and people were (of course) not happy about this. Then 'people wearing helmets' started to invade and trash the VIP area/ bars to hand out 'free drinks for the people'. In a parkinglot 5 cars were set to fire amongst them a van of red bull. At one point a car with an injured person left the area. The beastie boys concert was ended early and then someone announced that the festival was over and a member of underworld was injured. Organisation left the scene and the crowd was left on to their own to make an exit.

Greece has a long history of public violance. Anarchists fighting the establisment and global companies.

Nothing of this is official, so the truth perhaps is otherwise.