Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:01 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: Drift ep. 1 part 2: Underworld and Ø [Phase] - Dexters Chalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Not to turn this into a Fluke thread, but after the three Flukers broke into Syntax, there was one Fluke album as a duo (Puppy), Syntax released a further EP (Tripolar) and various members collaborated as 2Bit Pie (excellent album). Nothing much for the past several years, though. Massive thread on hybridized forum that I'll link later. I loved Fluke and their various versions, but they definitely kept changing sounds from record to record, and thus may have gotten lost in the electronica shuffle.

crazy to think that Syntax album is 15 years old now. that Tripolar EP was quite nice - I liked "Man with No Name" and "Zero Vision" a lot. I wonder why they didn't release part 2 or 3. I wonder if sales figures had something to do with it.

another name that fits in this thread - Lo-Fidelity All-Stars? their first album is sort of a classic, a bit bloated by today's standards but it still feels like a bridge from Fatboy Slim to LCD Soundsystem. I actually liked their second album (Don't Be Afraid of Love) even better, a lot more funky and upbeat. Their last album was decent, but man, it was a decade ago. Guessing they've gotten "lost" too.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Underworld Electronica contemporaries
Having gotten into electronic music in the late 90's, I was way into the usual suspects: Chemical Brothers, Moby, Crystal Method, Prodigy, FSOL, Leftfield, Fatboy Slim, Orbital and of course Fluke and Underworld.

Your bringing up LoFi Allstars reminds me of another band that had it's moments: Apollo 440. They had some pop/cheese big beat tracks, but also moments of ambient beauty. Their "Dude Descending a Staircase" lp probably showcases that diversity best, though really each record had fine dance tracks and chill tracks amid some nonsense!

Any Orb fans here? Amazing house-ambient-psychedelic records in the 90's ( loved Adventures beyond the ultraworld, uforb, orbus terrarum and orblivion lps) but gotta say I haven't felt the magic in latter records...they have so many, but seem to repeat themselves a lot.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM
nbeazy
river

Quote:
Having gotten into electronic music in the late 90's, I was way into the usual suspects: Chemical Brothers, Moby, Crystal Method, Prodigy, FSOL, Leftfield, Fatboy Slim, Orbital and of course Fluke and Underworld.

Your bringing up LoFi Allstars reminds me of another band that had it's moments: Apollo 440. They had some pop/cheese big beat tracks, but also moments of ambient beauty. Their "Dude Descending a Staircase" lp probably showcases that diversity best, though really each record had fine dance tracks and chill tracks amid some nonsense!

Any Orb fans here? Amazing house-ambient-psychedelic records in the 90's ( loved Adventures beyond the ultraworld, uforb, orbus terrarum and orblivion lps) but gotta say I haven't felt the magic in latter records...they have so many, but seem to repeat themselves a lot.
Orb are great and so is every other band mentioned in here so far. Pretty shocked to not see Groove Armada mentioned anywhere - not necessarily in terms of genre but in terms of the big electronic bands of the 90s/2000s...
Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Your bringing up LoFi Allstars reminds me of another band that had it's moments: Apollo 440. They had some pop/cheese big beat tracks, but also moments of ambient beauty.
I enjoy their first two albums a lot: they're definitely going for daft rock-infused dance music in places, but there are also plenty of great pure electronic moments, particularly on Electro Glide in Blue - 'Vanishing Point' and 'Stealth Mass' are superb. They totally blew it on Gettin' High on Your Own Supply for me though, a really nasty mess of embarrassing faux-rock posturing and brick-wall compressed breakbeat. One of the ugliest albums I've ever owned. Kind of put me off them, although admittedly Dude Descending a Staircase has some nice moments.

The Orb were fantastic in the '90s, and I think Cydonia is underrated (although nowhere near as good as the earlier albums). Since then I've either found their stuff really uninspired, or simply not my kind of thing: Okie Dokie is a fine Kompakt-style minimal / dub techno record, but I'm not fond of that sound - the much more ambient focused Baghdad Batteries and Chill Out, World are pleasant but hardly the in the same league as their early epics. The Dream is a gorgeously produced album with some great tracks that would probably be up there with the earlier stuff without all the unnecessary vocals in the first half. Bicycles & Tricycles, the David Gilmour collab and that new one I find mostly just really pointless.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Quote:

Seeing the orb on Saturday in Seattle! Moonbuilding and the new no sounds album I have enjoyed quite a bit, I have to say.

Seattle is weird for electronica. It breaks in two directions. All the big acts pass over Seattle (massive attack isnt getting closer than San Fran, orbital only came in 2010 as part of a new defunct city wide festival, underworld hasnt been through since 99, a local EDM promoter booked Carl cox for a big show and no-one bothered to see him), but the smaller acts I get to see in tiny venues with good crowds. Daniel Avery came through a tiny basement club, and now this will be twice I've seen the orb at tiny nightclubs locally.

Last edited by jetpig; 11-15-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM
negative1

i like bands like 'hybrid', 'sasha', ''bt', and others, but they started to delve into more IDM, and other
categories. i think a lot of those guys are still going strong.

my biggest problem with all the new music is it comes in bite size digital chunks, or
very limited vinyl only.

that's actually not a problem either, but most of the tracks average 3-5 minutes.

whatever happened to the nice 6-8-10 minute epic songs. i guess they're dead now.

later
Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I thought last year's Orb album (C.O.W.) was quite good. Really relaxing and a more pure form of ambient that's unlike the more beat-oriented stuff they usually do. The one before (Moonbuilding) was actually quite excellent. Purestrain dubby techno. This year's release (No Sounds Are Out of Bounds) was okay, it felt to me like Cydonia II, similar ideas but not as good. But then again, I always thought Cydonia was underrated, so not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:44 PM
BIKstyle
river

Quote:
Any Orb fans here? Amazing house-ambient-psychedelic records in the 90's ( loved Adventures beyond the ultraworld, uforb, orbus terrarum and orblivion lps) but gotta say I haven't felt the magic in latter records...
Early Orb were important, but Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld has never been as strong as the KLFs Chill Out for me. The latter has been the last "track" on all the parties I hosted through the 90s and some years beyond. Nobody ever complained ... I still wear a Pyramid Blaster shirt occasionally.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 PM
BIKstyle
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
My top 5 albums?

The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
Fluke - Risotto
Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants
Leftfield - Rhythm And Stealth

These 5 albums have had a huge influence on me and inspired me into getting into music production. Of course, these artists made other amazing albums, but I picked my personal favorite from each. I could create quite an extensive list of faves.
Thank you - all exceptionally good albums! Surrender is also my fave from the Chemicals, still an amazing production. Regarding the others Music for the Jillted Generation, Dubno and Leftism would be the bands' best albums for me, but this is of course also my personal choice. Fluke's Risotto arrived today, and wow, great album! It began a bit too dark compared to the warm and friendly sound I mostly listen to nowadays, but I instantly liked it a lot. And it already grew while listending to it for the first time. I suppose Fluke will go on heavy rotation now.
Not sure about my Top 5 albums (I think I would go for Top 5 Electronica and Top 5 Guitar based albums), but

Underworld's Dubno &
Brian Eno's Muisc for Airports (Ambient 1)

are surely on my Top 5 Electro list.
My ultimate extended list is my physical collection, I think.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:36 PM
BIKstyle
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
whatever happened to the nice 6-8-10 minute epic songs. i guess they're dead now.
All from this decade, all within the 7-9 minutes range, all quite epic IMHO, and work both on the floor and and at home.
Organic and intelligent Progressive House/Deep House:

Herbert - It's Only (DJ Koze Mix)
https://soundcloud.com/secney/herber...ly-dj-koze-mix

DJ Koze - Magical Boy (Matthew Herbert remix)
https://soundcloud.com/pamparecords/...al-boy-matthew

Stimming & Solomun - Ghostdog
https://soundcloud.com/tylerdurden42...lomun-ghostdog

Dntel - My Orphaned Son (Die Vögel Remix)
https://soundcloud.com/pamparecords/...aned-son-die-v

Moderat - Bad Kingdom (DJ Koze Remix)
https://soundcloud.com/aidandeno/mod...-dj-koze-remix

Die Vögel - The Chicken
https://soundcloud.com/pamparecords/...ie-v-gel-a-the

Marek Hemmann - Left (feat. Fabian Reichelt)
https://soundcloud.com/marekhemmann/...abian-reichelt