Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:39 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

New Aphex Twin album - syro
So while we are over here in our little corner freaking out over new 20 year old material the rest of the electronic music world is freaking out over the first new Aphex Twin album since 2001, Syro. Anyone ordered it, yet? Word has it that there's a few other albums worth of material buried in his archives too.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Jafs
Tells

Re: New Aphex Twin album - syro
Not really been excited by the first track that popped up 2 weeks ago, but since it's the album opener I hope the rest will be more worth the wait.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Loved the production on the new track, he does always manage to get a unique quality to his sound. Will probably get this when it is out but I am not chomping at the bit
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

The CD dropped through my letterbox this morning... spoilers ahead.

The packaging is suitably odd, a six-panel roll-fold that you have to unroll the the whole way to get to the disc, and the music – well, if you liked the first track, you'll like the rest. I wasn't too taken with it myself. There's no cutting edge exploration, not many innovative new sounds, and a hell of a lot of slightly funky retro beats. The 'buried in the archives' phrase above struck a chord for me - apart from being a bit more polished, this could easily have been sitting in a cupboard at Aphex HQ for 15 to 20 years.

I was expecting a wild ride, flashes of brilliance mixed with unlistenable tosh, but what I got was a set of solid' 6 marks out of 10' tracks. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes a bit slower. By the time Richard pulled out the Lynne Collins 'think' break, I was getting a bit bored. Cue the five minute Satié inspired slowly changing piano loop cliche to finish, and and we're done.

Warp threw in a sticker, a business card-ish thing, and a fold out gear list. Perhaps they agreed with me that the music wasn't really quite good enough to warrant all the hype?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Ally
Henreeeeeeeeeecat! :)

Send a message via MSN to Ally
Furrowly enjoyed it - thought Analogue Controlled Computer Instruments was better though (got my attention more)