Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Disco dave
Krinum Ninja

Send a message via AIM to Disco dave
Darren Emerson leaving UW was the worst thing that happened to the band!
plain and simple!

Everything Everything gave UW the exposure the deserved for being so incredibly sick when they play live!

the only bummer was that after Darren left, the shows were simply not nearly as good at they were pre 2000

enough said!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: Darren Emerson leaving UW was the worst thing that happened to the band!
Oooooooo thats gonna cause some debate

I think as a duo, it wasnt as slick and Rick counter quite intermix everything whilst having a chance to mess around with the songs structure and control the audience. With the addition of Mr Price, I think the shows are back to their best, lots of songs from the past with new ones for the casual fan alongside some cracking visuals.

Do you mean just live as well? Coz if you check the Dubno production credits, you may be in for a shock...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

why do people write 'enough said' at the end of deliberately inflammatory posts
clearly there is a lot more to be said from people that disagree with you

but i'd say you'd be almost right up until the previous leg.
but i'll let ol' farts get all bunched up about how the recent shows were best ever and all that because they might give a damn about how this thread turns out.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Mike
born013

Well, whilst the comment was quite flippent, ive always agreed that i havent enjoyed the live material as much since the 1999/2000 era..

I know that a lot of the equipment changed for the start of the 2002 festival tour, and it created a new sound. The energy remains, but the anticipation of improvised gems has gone.

I remember reading (or hearing) somewhere that rick had been really keen on recreating the original album sounds in a live format (not sure exactly what that means, but i guess trying to recreate the original recording as closley as possible... i will try to find the interview)..

Rick has the ability to do what he wants with the sound... during 2000, they played many shows where it was just rick and karl, and they sounded terrific! Roskilde 2000 anyone? Born Slippy --> Confusion - Juanita --> Spoonman - New Banstyle --> Nuxx

It sounded really creative and fresh.

I dont think the absence of Darren has influenced much, i think its just the choice of direction that the guys have decided to follow.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:18 AM
viddy
pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
Dave comes back and starts slinging mud.....but I have to agree....
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

The immediate post-Emerson shows demonstrated a noticeable, um, downgrade, I agree, but since then the band has redefined their live sound in a way that I comfortably recognize as Underworld. I love the Emerson era but when I listen to that '90s stuff it tends to sound dated (sometimes very dated, like that Sonar show) whereas the new shows -- particularly from 2005 onward -- sound like a reenergized and retooled band with a more timeless sound.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Recent UWlive posts are showing the bands push in the live arena to either make things easier for Rick and make shows more improved, or to make a smaller rig
Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I remember reading (or hearing) somewhere that rick had been really keen on recreating the original album sounds in a live format (not sure exactly what that means, but i guess trying to recreate the original recording as closley as possible... i will try to find the interview)..
I'd definitely be interested in that interview if you find it, Mike. Pre-2000, a lot of the songs had different sounds and feels from the album versions. For example, just listen to Air Towel, Juanita, NUXX, and Dark Train from any of the 1996 shows. A lot of differences, sometimes radically so, from the studio versions. If you listen to 2000 or later performances of those same songs, they are much closer to the album versions. I always assumed that was Darren's doing, and Rick returned them to sounding more like the studio versions once he left.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
In 1994, 95, 96, the improvs were longer, the mixes more continuous, but also, the tracks less well-known and the band less-popular. But unless one was recording what happened behind the desk, one really can't say how much was Darren and how much was Rick.
Anything else is speculation.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 AM
jose m
pants

i really don't think that the equipment the guys were using on stage was up to doing both faithful versions of the album tracks and the loopy jams they were playing at the time,there was more of a live mixing desk thing going on and there were no computers.
the "album" versions appeared with the advances in the equipment not the changes in personel.