Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Foreplay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
I was thinking "that's a good name for a band"
There is a band namd Foreplay, only it's spelled FOURplay, as a pun on the number of members. It's a jazz combo, i remember my dad listening to them when i was a kid. Now he listens to drum-n-bass and Lemon Jelly records. And occasionally the "Breaking & Entering" sountrack i gave him.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

It's not that it's not beautiful, or offensive, or done with a technical proficiency... it's just sterile music. Rush Of Blood used to be a very evocative album to me, then one day the shine wore off. I still enjoy "Green Eyes" because of its general playfulness, which works, but none of the songs on that album accomplish quite what they want to. X&Y was a complete joke, nothing but pub-crawling anthems to get boozed up and melodramatic to. Parachutes was well enough, it was very pretty in spots but that album in general was again an underwhelming one. I liked "Spies" because of China's response to it but not much more than that, and I loved the Floyd-esque feel of "High Speed" but once again, the album just really fails in the idea that the emotional chord that it so desperately wants to strum, it never figures out how to do it. And the new album... well, they chose Eno I'm assuming to get a breath of new life into their music but Eno's body of work IMO is so detached that they would've been better off just grabbing the resident studio intern. Again, just a flat album that fails to deliver the shot that it wants to. But again, it's pretty in spots... technically proficient... and not offensive in the least.

One day, a far distance down the road perhaps they will grow into a band that is able to set to music the emotions that they're trying to convey but until then, they remain a gesture instead of the gut-punch they try to be on every album.

Last edited by Future Proof; 07-11-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof View Post
It's not that it's not beautiful, or offensive, or done with a technical proficiency... it's just sterile music. Rush Of Blood used to be a very evocative album to me, then one day the shine wore off. I still enjoy "Green Eyes" because of its general playfulness, which works, but none of the songs on that album accomplish quite what they want to. X&Y was a complete joke, nothing but pub-crawling anthems to get boozed up and melodramatic to. Parachutes was well enough, it was very pretty in spots but that album in general was again an underwhelming one. I liked "Spies" because of China's response to it but not much more than that, and I loved the Floyd-esque feel of "High Speed" but once again, the album just really fails in the idea that the emotional chord that it so desperately wants to strum, it never figures out how to do it. And the new album... well, they chose Eno I'm assuming to get a breath of new life into their music but Eno's body of work IMO is so detached that they would've been better off just grabbing the resident studio intern. Again, just a flat album that fails to deliver the shot that it wants to. But again, it's pretty in spots... technically proficient... and not offensive in the least.

One day, a far distance down the road perhaps they will grow into a band that is able to set to music the emotions that they're trying to convey but until then, they remain a gesture instead of the gut-punch they try to be on every album.
Plus, Chris Martin's a tool.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

I don't really have to like my musicians to appreciate their craft -- I think Trent Reznor's a tit on wheels but I respect him as one of the greatest composers of the last 20 years. Coldplay goes after a vibe with each song and virtually without fail, never achieve what they want. They get close, close enough that I understand that they want me to feel longing when I listen to "Warning Sign" or soft-spoken bliss when I hear "Don't Panic" but it just always sounds tired and limp.

Emotional music should startle, disarm and excite the listener. If Coldplay was successful they would leave their audiences feeling this way, and perhaps a bit uncomfortable and unnerved. But they fail to create this end result, which makes them failures in general.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Coldplay goes after a vibe with each song and virtually without fail, never achieve what they want. They get close, close enough that I understand that they want me to feel longing when I listen to "Warning Sign" or soft-spoken bliss when I hear "Don't Panic" but it just always sounds tired and limp.

Emotional music should startle, disarm and excite the listener. If Coldplay was successful they would leave their audiences feeling this way, and perhaps a bit uncomfortable and unnerved. But they fail to create this end result, which makes them failures in general.
Agree with your sentiments, but realize that there are many thousands of fans with whom they resonate and the emotional intentions of the songs do resonate.
Maybe i'm just sappy and melancholy. But one persons trash is another's treasure. One person's boredom is another's bliss.
Perhaps some backlash is good in light of their overexposure (e.g. recall the teasing dialogue in "40 Year Old Virgin: "You know how i know you're gay? You like Coldplay."). But i wouldn't go so far as to call any band a general failure just because i didn't feel their music or thought their intention was loftier than the results. If they were musically unskilled, that'd be another thing altogether. Sure, they do a lot of posturing, but the members are always self-deprecating in interviews/in concert and admit to just making "pop songs", not trying to change the world.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Agree with your sentiments, but realize that there are many thousands of fans with whom they resonate and the emotional intentions of the songs do resonate.
Maybe i'm just sappy and melancholy. But one persons trash is another's treasure. One person's boredom is another's bliss.
Perhaps some backlash is good in light of their overexposure (e.g. recall the teasing dialogue in "40 Year Old Virgin: "You know how i know you're gay? You like Coldplay."). But i wouldn't go so far as to call any band a general failure just because i didn't feel their music or thought their intention was loftier than the results. If they were musically unskilled, that'd be another thing altogether. Sure, they do a lot of posturing, but the members are always self-deprecating in interviews/in concert and admit to just making "pop songs", not trying to change the world.
Ahhh, yea... all that's just my opinion. I know that musically, I'm very hard to please and to each their own on whatever they like. I like Madonna. Most people would find that hysterical but yea, it's just about what hits you.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Ahhh, yea... all that's just my opinion. I know that musically, I'm very hard to please and to each their own on whatever they like. I like Madonna. Most people would find that hysterical but yea, it's just about what hits you.

Heeey Richard!

I was about to change mine to "resident troll", but I'm too attached to the current.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
lol.
thread is turning into "bono, cock mk II"

i can say they're a general failure because they sound like amateurs to the end. being self-deprecating is no caveat when you're in the position to sell millions of albums and you simply cant pull yourself together to make anything more than a poor mans version of a talented band. they habitually, consistently, make disappointing pop songs and i've got every cause to say "i know from within the burning caldera of my anus that they suck" as much as you say "well they dont and you should stop"

and if that hurts some feelings well honestly its a bit of a lol because thats rather silly

Last edited by dubman; 07-12-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
lol.

i can say they're a general failure because they sound like amateurs to the end. being self-deprecating is no caveat when you're in the position to sell millions of albums and you simply cant pull yourself together to make anything more than a poor mans version of a talented band. they habitually, consistently, make disappointing pop songs and i've got every cause to say "i know from within the burning caldera of my anus that they suck" as much as you say "well they dont and you should stop"

and if that hurts some feelings well honestly its a bit of a lol because thats rather silly
Thank (insert which ever $ god you worship here) general failure isn't determined artist royalty income tx.id#whatever. Are they not kind of s.load, scary rich?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
lol.

"i know from within the burning caldera of my anus that they suck"
lol = Pretty much what i thought about you and your anus.
Calderas don't burn,really...they're the collapsed oriface of a volcano. i'm a geologist, so i know. If your anus is burning and caldera-like, well, there's a story to tell about that.

THink we'd better just lock this one. i'll keep listening to MoldyOldyPlay, you all keep affirming they suck. It's a win-win proposition.

Last edited by holden; 07-13-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: it was late and made no sense.