Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:16 PM
surfboy
surfboy

While we wait for Drift Series 2...
Hi!

While we wait for Drift series 2 to come out, I thought it might be nice for us to discuss some of the highlights from series 1. Feel free to share your thoughts but if you're struggling to get started it would be interesting to hear what everyone's opinion on:

- Favourite "single" of: Dust, Atom, Heart, Space, and Game (and why?)
- Overall favourite track?
- Choice of underrated tracks?
- Which track you would most like to see revisited (either live, remixed, extended, etc.)
- Anything else you want to mention!

Thanks and have a good Christmas/festive period everyone!

- MY ANSWER - (Don't have to read his bit haha)

I have to say I've been really impressed with Drift on my second listen. Embarrassed to admit that I didn't think too much of it at first but I think I went in to it expecting stuff like their early output. Now I've come back to it with a fresh perspective and think it's genius (not just in concept but execution too!). Just goes to show why it's worth giving things a second chance!

I would say my favourite single is probably "Game" as I really like the longer atmospheric tracks on that one (Tree and Two Chairs; and Give Me the Room). My favourite overall track is also probably Tree and Two Chairs, although just to spice it up a bit I'll say Pinetum or Appleshine (Film Edit). I've found they seem to excel in the longer tracks - gives them more space to breathe and experiment in my opinion. I don't think I could pick a track in particular that I'd want to see live (already heard Border Country live blew me away) but would be great if they also did separate concerts where it's just ambient/experimental alongside doing their "crazy crazy crazy crazy" gigs with all the hits. What do you think?
Old 12-23-2020, 02:34 PM
iamneorev
pants

Re: While we wait for Drift Series 2...
I would say DUST is my favorite EP, SPACE in 2nd place

Listen To Their No is probably my favorite track. It's like their Rez of today,

Underrated: Roof Off, Seven Minute Drone, Big Bear

Too many tracks that I would like to see live from it. Another Silent Way, Universe Of Can When Back, and Dexter's Chalk would make a great medley live. I would like to see Mile Bush Pride extended. Feels like a song about to explode, but ends too soon.

I think Drift Series 1 is the best thing they've done since Riverrun. I hold Drift and Drift Series 1 up there with Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest In The Infants, and Beaucoup Fish.

I also got my own 16 track Drift double album playlist that I listen to quite often.

Last edited by iamneorev; 12-24-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:05 AM
surfboy
surfboy

Damn nice! Sorry for my late response, been bogged down in Christmas nonsense.

I think I must've missed a few of those tracks you mentioned. I wonder if they weren't included on the EPs but were on the final collection thing (I only listened to the EPs). Will give them a listen when I can get a spare minute. (EDIT: Okay, just checked and wow, there is a wealth of songs I missed out on that weren't included on the EPs, Christmas has come twice for me this year!)

But yeah I totally agree with what you said about that live medley - would be awesome. Yeah I really like Riverrun too, keep meaning to re-listen to them all again, and yep, I agree that Drift is some of their best work.

They opened with Listen to their No at the gig I went to last winter. While I'm not a huge fan of it, it is growing on me. Everyone else at the gig seemed to love it so if you get chance to see them live at some point after lockdown, I reckon there's a very good chance they'd include it in their set.

If that playlist you mentioned is on Spotify, I wouldn't mind giving it a listen if you don't mind!
Old 12-27-2020, 01:59 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfboy View Post
If that playlist you mentioned is on Spotify, I wouldn't mind giving it a listen if you don't mind!
Oh man, definitely check out the full Drift set. Lots of good extras.

DRIFTING
01 Listen To Their No
02 Another Silent Way
03 Brussels
04 This Must Be Drum Street
05 Appleshine
06 Seven Music Drone
07 Altitude Dub
08 Border Country
09 Universe Of Can When Back
10 Dexter's Chalk
11 Pinetum
12 Dune
13 Give Me The Room
14 Roof Off
15 Imagine A Box
16 Custard Speedtalk

Total Running Time: 2:04:17

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7E...RU2PzZQ1iPX4AA

Last edited by iamneorev; 12-27-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:20 AM
surfboy
surfboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
Oh man, definitely check out the full Drift set. Lots of good extras.

DRIFTING
01 Listen To Their No
02 Another Silent Way
03 Brussels
04 This Must Be Drum Street
05 Appleshine
06 Seven Music Drone
07 Altitude Dub
08 Border Country
09 Universe Of Can When Back
10 Dexter's Chalk
11 Pinetum
12 Dune
13 Give Me The Room
14 Roof Off
15 Imagine A Box
16 Custard Speedtalk

Total Running Time: 2:04:17

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7E...RU2PzZQ1iPX4AA
Wow cheers, will give that a listen thanks. I went out and bought the full DRIFT series 1 CD box set yesterday on a whim. Saw it for £40 in HMV and thought "Eh, why not?" and I never realised how much extra material there would be in there besides the EPs. There's a live disc, DVD (Bluray !! ) of the music videos, extended "continuums", and a booklet. Well impressed and don't know where to start haha. Something to keep me busy during this next UK lockdown anyway.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:37 AM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfboy View Post
Wow cheers, will give that a listen thanks. I went out and bought the full DRIFT series 1 CD box set yesterday on a whim. Saw it for £40 in HMV and thought "Eh, why not?" and I never realised how much extra material there would be in there besides the EPs. There's a live disc, DVD (Bluray !! ) of the music videos, extended "continuums", and a booklet. Well impressed and don't know where to start haha. Something to keep me busy during this next UK lockdown anyway.
And don't forget Underworld released Manchester Street Poem album, which is a whole instrumental UW album on its own. Only the track "Doris" is featured on Drift Series 1 from it. Rick's live dub album includes a bunch of live reworked/remixed versions of Manchester Street Poem tracks. I highly suggest downloading MSP as well to help expand the amount of UW material. I kinda wish MSP was a CD in the boxset as well. It's really good.

Oh, and let's not forget the nearly 6 hours of bonus material included with the download code from the original large sized boxset that features a bunch of "from the vaults" material, from rarities to live rehearsals to studio jams to mixes in hi-res. That 26 minute Pearl's Girl jam is great.

Altogether, you got about 14 hours worth of Underworld to keep yourself busy with.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:20 AM
mark3
pants

My favourite ep is definitely Heart. My favourite track from the eps are

Dust: Dexters Chalk
Atom: Appleshine Continuum ... all 47 min of it
Heart: Pinetum
Space: Altitude Dub / Schiphol Test. Can't decide between the two
Game: Give me the Room

Pinetum

- Which track you would most like to see revisited (either live, remixed, extended, etc.)
Pinetum, Seven Music Drone & Mile Bush Pride would all make for a great live track.

There aren't any really bad Drift tracks, but my buttom five are probably Hundred Weight Hammer, Threat of Rain, Listen to their No, One True Piano need Hand and Do Breakers trip.

Looking forward to Drift 2. Must be out real soon, eh?
Old 12-31-2020, 09:41 AM
surfboy
surfboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3 View Post
My favourite ep is definitely Heart. My favourite track from the eps are

Dust: Dexters Chalk
Atom: Appleshine Continuum ... all 47 min of it
Heart: Pinetum
Space: Altitude Dub / Schiphol Test. Can't decide between the two
Game: Give me the Room

Pinetum

Pinetum, Seven Music Drone & Mile Bush Pride would all make for a great live track.

There aren't any really bad Drift tracks, but my buttom five are probably Hundred Weight Hammer, Threat of Rain, Listen to their No, One True Piano need Hand and Do Breakers trip.

Looking forward to Drift 2. Must be out real soon, eh?
Yeah I gotta agree with you on Pinetum. Really love the vibe on that one. Also, I'd love to be able to say when the next series is going to start up but I don't think anyone (maybe even including even UW themselves) knows yet haha. Fingers crossed 2021 is the year!
Old 01-03-2021, 11:10 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Unfortunately, the additional downloads only came with the original boxset.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:31 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Having lived with the project for a while and upon recently revisiting, here's where I'm at presently:

- Favourite "single" EP: I'm actually going to go with Episode 1 -"Dust", because it was the start of the project and I was very excited and unsure how the series would evolve, but they came out banging with "Universe of Can When Back", "Dexter's Chalk", and "Another Silent Way". These tracks still resonate as fresh and forward-looking, and I've come to really appreciate the words and sentiment of "Low Between Zebras" in the context of the Drift series and where it's cropped up elsewhere (Rick's live jam, "Another Silent Way/Drift Poem/Better than Diamonds" on extended EP, the Drift promos).

Favorite track from each EP:
Dust: "Dexter's Chalk" ... pure acid energy! The whole "he doesn't want to talk to anyone!" bit does me in.
Atom: "Threat of Rain" ...for the simple joys of a long, interesting sonic jam that holds attention and keeps surprising.
Heart: "Custard Speedtalk" just narrowly over "This Must Be Drum Street" (see below)
Space: "Schiphol Test"... moody, melancholy, nostalgic,. "Most 'Ospital" and "Push Upstairs" had offspring.
Game: "Give Me The Room" - dark and dubby.

- Overall favorite track? Ooh, that's tough. Currently, I love the vibe of "Custard Speedtalk", it just feels like R&K are confident in each other's contributions, everything sits well. Friendly studio chatter. Interesting vocal POV. "Universe of..." still holds a high place, and "Schiphol test" just seems quintessentially UW, and wouldn't have been out of place on STITI for me.

- Choice of underrated tracks? "Big Bear" is a fun blippy electro track with cool notebook lyrics. "Tree and Two Chairs" really takes off in interesting places for me, sort of an update of "Hamburg Hotel" from the Barking era.

- Which track you would most like to see revisited (either live, remixed, extended, etc.). "Two Arrows" has a rock element in the distorted/vocoded vocals, fine, but with unnecessary, cringe strings. I'd love to hear this remixed as more of a straight dance track, more electronic elements.

Just a massive amount of music, and I will/do attach a lot of nostalgia to certain tracks as i recall where I was when first hearing them, discovering new sounds and reordering the episodes per my mood.

Last edited by holden; 02-22-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: more on the episodes!