Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM
negative1

Re: Leipzig Warehouse Jam 050715
i doubt any of these old tracks, live gigs will be part of anything new or released.

they don't fit in with the drift project.

later
Old 07-26-2019, 02:40 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
i doubt any of these old tracks, live gigs will be part of anything new or released.

they don't fit in with the drift project.

later
Yeah, I've been archiving these inter-Drift jams/throwbacks as "World of Underworld". Assume they are just to tide over the diehards between new Drift tracks. Still, very glad to hear them.

Is there a chance that, by digging through the old live improvs, R&K would become inspired to return to improving in the current shows? One can hope. But given the wealth of new material, especially certified bangers like "Listen to their No" and "Border Country", maybe this is what we get for revitalized setlists. No complaints. I've seen them live and with plenty of improv, and have all those boots to enjoy hearing. Glad they are still creating, is all I need.

P.s. got to thinking, how many bands have the longevity and creative juices as Underworld? The Rolling Stones and the Who continue to exist, but nothing groundbreaking in forever. Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Prodigy, Moby, Left field, FSOL...early nineties bands that are still kicking out good stuff. But UW (r&k partnership) has them beat by a cool decade.

Last edited by holden; 07-26-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post

[...] We should do this more often.
that makes me hopefull
Old 07-28-2019, 11:05 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Tracklist?

[00] Underworld - Mmm Skyscraper I Love You
[13] Underworld - ? (what IS that jam? its at the end of the Back In The Fears track on the Tokyo 2005 CD)
[18] Underworld - Juanita
[30] Underworld - Twist
[37] Underworld - ?

Last edited by stimpee; 07-28-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 AM
4thDrawerDown
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Yeah, I've been archiving these inter-Drift jams/throwbacks as "World of Underworld". Assume they are just to tide over the diehards between new Drift tracks. Still, very glad to hear them.

Is there a chance that, by digging through the old live improvs, R&K would become inspired to return to improving in the current shows? One can hope. But given the wealth of new material, especially certified bangers like "Listen to their No" and "Border Country", maybe this is what we get for revitalized setlists. No complaints. I've seen them live and with plenty of improv, and have all those boots to enjoy hearing. Glad they are still creating, is all I need.

P.s. got to thinking, how many bands have the longevity and creative juices as Underworld? The Rolling Stones and the Who continue to exist, but nothing groundbreaking in forever. Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Prodigy, Moby, Left field, FSOL...early nineties bands that are still kicking out good stuff. But UW (r&k partnership) has them beat by a cool decade.
Look, I love Leftfield, I really do, but they've released 3 proper albums in about 20 years, and two of them are pretty patchy to say the least
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post

not even remotely in the same genre but They Might be Giants have been around since '82 and they spent both 2015 and 2018 doing the same "song a week" thing that UW is doing now, except they actually wrote 52 songs. and most of 'em are pretty good too.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:17 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

In terms of just sheer volume of material released in crazy formats/online over the years, the only thing I can think of that comes close to Underworld is Nine Inch Nails or Radiohead. That They Might Be Giants stuff sounds really fun too.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 AM
purlieu
enofa

FSOL's FSOLDigital releases have been fairly eclectic and, at times, way too much to take in. Tons of new aliases for new styles experimented with, lots of archive stuff, '90s radio shows, they've been running a Calendar Album thing for a few years now that pops a new track into your inbox every month. Most of their physical releases and books come with download-only bonus EPs.

Back in the '90s they talked about not releasing albums and just having a permanent line from their studio broadcasting to the internet. And their first release was in 1987, so they're heading into veteran level now haha.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

The Flaming Lips have been going since the mid 80s and have continued to put out new music that cuts in all sorts of directions. The Orb deserves more of a mention than many of the more popular 90s electronic acts. Can't forget about Aphex Twin, though RDJ fell off the map for 15 years.

I think UW is more consistent and consistently on point than any others listed outside the Chems, and UW's sound is certainly more diverse and nuanced than the Chems tend to be.

Back on the main topic, what an incredible recording. I'm trying not to get my hopes up by reading to far into "we should do this more often," but I can't help myself. Would be quite the treat for those open to close shows they are planning...
Old 09-06-2023, 01:32 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Contemporaneous diary entry at the time of this rehearsal jam:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dirty_...7600828073449/

It's nice that it got some kind of release.
And it was all filmed? Add that to the list of things to wish for.