Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:20 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Improvs and new tracks and mixed sets
I just wanted to get this offa my chest:

I love the new tour set and the idea behind it of bringing Darren into the picture to let Rick fiddle and improvise. I understand its gonna take some time to really get the feel of things again after a) playing a more song based and less improv based set last time b) having someone new helping in the live set and c) having new tracks to get right.

I was the one who asked Rick for a more "flowing" set in the dirty chat when they were answering questions one time for the radio and Rick sounded a bit miffed but this is exactly what I meant. More improv and less breaks between songs. This is what sets bands like Underworld apart from other live electronic acts and gives you the sense that what youre hearing is unique and will never be played again the same.

At the Heineken Music Hall, I was quite happy to have subsitituted Dark Train and Two Months Off from the set in order to have more new tracks and more improvisation. That's what makes it unique. I'll always favour hearing new material over a crowd-pleasing favourite.

Karl: I didnt care that there wasnt time to play Tin There (you were gonna play it instead of Moaner weren't you? ) and I look forward to flying over to Budapest now to see how the set has evolved for the Sziget Festival. Who knows, maybe I'll hear Dark Train, TMO and Tin There - i mean Moaner - there after all.

So if you're going to see UW on this summer tour, give em a bit of slack because they're still trying to get things just right. This aint an ass-kissing thread, just a response to the people who are whining to redress the balance.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:11 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Improvs and new tracks and mixed sets
well put. that said i have enjoyed every single underworld show that i have been to and countless others that i have heard second hand (read: recordings) and look forward to whatever comes my way.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:13 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Check underworldlive today. Karl addresses the exact thing you're talking about!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Forgotten Sanity
Dirty Bomb

It's very hard for me to believe that some view the AHDO concerts as a low point for Underworld, when they were some of the best concerts I've ever attended.

As uwlive indicates, they're not stupid. They know that they want to get their shows back to the MKII era, it's just that no one wants to see the labor pains, everyone wants to only see the baby without respecting where that baby came from. Give them some time and patience, there's already a marked improvement from the AHDO leg of tours, and I'm sure that it will continue to get better and better.

P.S. - Hey Karl... I really hope that you don't feel like you have to defend yourself, your shit's locked tight, always has been, always will be.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Raz

Amsterdam 2005 was my first UW gig and it was awesome. Finally got to hear PG live with the new "fucking mental ending(TM)" and although I missed a few of my favourite tracks, all of the new stuff more than made up for it. Thanks to the guys for playing it all - I know they were nervous a few months back but the whole of HMH was bouncing up and down so I hope that encourages them

Slightly OT, it's a shame most of the dirts missed the meeting with Karl but we'll wait slightly longer next time, Mister bounce around geezer
Old 07-25-2005, 10:45 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I made this post before reading today's UWlive.com post so its kinda apt that it pops up now. The only thing I want to add is that I really really enjoyed the AHDO tour and that the final two Somerset House gigs were very special and i'll never forget them, but I do welcome a return back to the more improv-style gigs that I remember from Sheffield in 1994, Phoenix Festival in 1995 and the legendary Que Club in 1996 gigs where I witnessed not just some of the best UW gigs i've ever been to but some of the best gigs by any band i've ever seen. I guess this is why I'm still here years later typing these words.

now playing: Tin There
Old 07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Raz

Stop showing off with all your gigs!

/me clutches his one ticket forlornly
Old 07-25-2005, 01:09 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

ok - somewhat related / somewhat not...

so that improv after PG in the Exit Fest broadcast, it has bits of two other tracks in it:
Barrel of a Gun (UW Hard Mix [easier to tell on the instrumental]) and the beats from "Bungalow with Stairs 001"

...and who thinks that the AHDO Tour was that bad????
Old 07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion
ok - somewhat related / somewhat not...

so that improv after PG in the Exit Fest broadcast, it has bits of two other tracks in it:
Barrel of a Gun (UW Hard Mix [easier to tell on the instrumental]) and the beats from "Bungalow with Stairs 001"
Good ears, joethelion! i don't have the recording handy, so i'll just ask...is this before or during the "Vision, C'mon" part? i was really hoping that that was a new song...looks like it might just be an improv with snippets of former UW tunes.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:23 PM
holden
collateral damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Stop showing off with all your gigs!

/me clutches his one ticket forlornly
One is better than none!

(holden clutches no ticket, goes to seek solace in 70ish Underworld bootlegs, dreaming he was there )