Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Jafs
Tells

Technics: Mk2 or M5G
Hello dirties

2 years that I'm waiting to launch myself into the evil world of djing. I'll probably buy my stuff this friday, and I've already bought and received a little pack of 12" (with some treasures, techno or not).

I'm posting here because I have the financial opportunity to buy the new M5G instead of the legendary MK2, and I want to ask you if these new models are really interesting ?

I had the chance to try some times the Mk2 at the house of a friend who's djing in trance/dance style. In this kind of mix I find the Mk2 cool at this, but I've heard the M5G is really interesting for the new pitch system; if someone can explain that innovation to me

Thanks !
Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 AM
mkb
abe vigoda's dead

Re: Technics: Mk2 or M5G
the mk2 has a very annoying detent at 0%. You can remove it, but I'd rather have the quartz lock and wider range pitch adjust.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

I want to buy a pair of MKII`s
Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
stimpee
Administrator

is it really worth the extra to buy a new pair of M5G's when you can get a decent pair of mk2's (or mk3's) for a good second-hand price? after all, you find mk2's in bars and clubs.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

amazing things have been done with MK2's. if you're just starting though, you should really consider the digital route. Traktor, Final Scratch or at least CDJ's. so many more options and more creative opportunities. vinyl is expensive and heavy.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM
lukeyd
j00 makes kitteh scared

Send a message via MSN to lukeyd
yes, but vinyl smells good. i didnt go down the technics route, im very happy with my stantons. on lots of dj forums there are tons of threads attesting the superiority of the top of the range stantons, numarks etc vs technics.

the torque and build quality has been matched. i would say the one remaining thing that technics have over any other turntable, is resale value.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

mk2's are virtually bulletproof. If you can find them used at a decent price, they'll do fine.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Jafs
Tells

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
if you're just starting though, you should really consider the digital route.
Yeah I've considered this way but hell yes I prefer have a vinyl in my hand instead of a mouse to click on. But digital route can be the next step

So Mk2 ?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Tyler
...lost transmission

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
I'd not get the MK2. Get M3D's or the M5G's. If I was in the market right now I'd DEFINATLEY get the 5's. They let you select between the traditional +/- 8% pitch or a more radical +/-16% pitch range, which opens up a whole lot of opportunities for mixing in wierd stuff. I played on them this weekend and am now considering selling my m3's to get 5's. That detent at 0 pitch on the MK2 is ultra annoying though.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

if i were just starting in the DJ world, i'd shun vinyl alltogether. digital is the way forward and the most creative way to go. unless you already have a huge library of records and a ton of income to devote to buying vinyl, you'd be better off taking that money and putting it towards a laptop and software. don't try to be cool by playing vinyl. there's nothing cool or special about it. sure records are nice, but so are loop points, cue points, built in effects etc. unless you want to battlescratch, i'd go digital.