is Jar Jar in this one?
Yes, but he is smaller !
Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: Star Trek XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
Nice to see a small part for Leonard Nimoy as old Spock too. Sadly no Shatner though...
I can't imagine Shatner doing a cameo in anything...he's the kind of actor that just dominates whatever scene he's in, plus he can't really act
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
he's the kind of actor that just dominates whatever scene he's in, plus he can't really act
Ha thats gota be one of those eternal enigmas.... how does he do it?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafs View Post
Of course I've seen it. I'm not totally satisfied with this. The movie is well produced and directed, actors are good, and there's a lot of humor going on, I enjoyed this. But I thought this was badly written, and there are some incohences than even the alternate time cannot explain (scientific matters,...). I'm not a trekkie, so I don't know every episode of the ST series.

SPOILERS

And why the fuck Nero's ship manage to cross the black hole one day, and not the other ?
I wondered that too.

Quote:
Why Abrams doesn't "let time" to some parts of his movie to evolve and impress us in another way than by a rythm inherited from movie clips ? (technical and director sensibility question, I admit).
Couldn't quite follow what you're getting at here. Sorry.

Quote:
Did you people notice that this film has a lot of action, but how JJ manage to avoid some bigger scenes (budget question ?), like when the Enterprise didn't go distortion in the same time than the others, and when he arrives all the other Federation ships are destroyed ? I thought this was pretty clever.
He could very well have done this for budgetary reasons, but I tend to think that it's more likely a creative choice that was made. Having the Enterprise delayed was necessary so that they could use that extra bit of time to realize the whole fleet was walking into a trap. If they hadn't been delayed, they would have arrived and been destroyed with everyone else. And not showing the actual battle where all those ships were destroyed was an effective way to keep our point of view as an audience with our main characters on the Enterprise. As a result, we feel more involved as we realize what's happening when they do, and we discover the aftermath with them. Otherwise, the audience would feel more like detached, uninvested observers.

Quote:
I'm also wondering what was this gaz place from where the Enterprise comes out aside Saturn. And don't say these are the rings, we can see them at the other side, in another axe.
Chekov said they should come out of warp behind one of Saturn's moons when he was telling them his plan for catching up to Nero without being seen. I believe the specific moon he mentioned was Titan.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
I saw this last week - my eyeballs have just about recovered from the "lens flare" madness.

Abrams dropped one or several million into each scene I think. I even read some article where he was explaining why? Something to do with the grandeur of space just offscreen or some bullshit. - WTF? It's lens flare - it's cheap, it's cheesy - don't explain it - just don't use in every fricking wideshot, close up and extreme close up. I swear, there was lens flare off Spock's teeth in the final scenes.

What was the Spock and Uhura thing all about? Most of the rest of the characters were cool and made sense in the cheesy, space-capade way that is Star Trek's roots. The time-space quantum mechanics flux capacitor insanities were all a bit much, but whatever, it all kind of worked - the good guys won.

It reminded me a little bit of an episode of Tom Strong I read - where an alternate universe collides with ours. It's all hokey - but it's just a movie.

But yeah - enough with the lens flares already.

And I thought the in space effects from the battle scenes were better in Battlestar Galactica - but that's just me.

And just in case you haven't seen it yet - runpee.com helps you figure out your bio breaks.

- S. Colbert
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
I liked the movie, but it seemed to move a little fast. Suddenly there's this emergency, and oh look at that, all of the main characters are suddenly officers on the bridge. Granted, the movie was about how everyone met, but it seemed a little hasty. But even with only a vague notion of the characters, it still was interesting to see their origins. As far as acting, I liked Spock a lot, but I thought McCoy was a bit over the top. The scene with that one red shirt guy was deliciously predictable. Overall a good summer popcorn movie, and I think better than Terminator Salvation.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
I enjoyed it as an evening's entertainment. (I'm not a die-hard Trekkie, though I love Jean-Luc and TNG.) Plus, the Sylar + Uhura scenes were hot, kind of.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Saw it Thursday...was thoroughly entertained. having grown up in the age of TNG with the original series always on in reruns, i have quite a fondness for the franchise. It's certainly the best looking of all the films (no surprise, given tech upgrades). And i didn't mind the "alternate timeline" - it's cool that there's some tension between Kirk and Spock. And Nimoy's turn was actually useful to the plot, not just a hollow cameo.

Lens flare was outta control, i agree!

But overall, a pretty nice set-up of the characters. great that Chekov and Sulu actually had something useful to do in this, versus the series and the movies. Briskly paced, full of action, characters you actually like, and being familiar/reverential to the original while putting a unique stamp on it.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

finally watched this last night - funny watching it in this 'post-avatar' world...

...enjoyed it far more than avatar - even sitting at home. decent story, well-told, the humour was great, the nods to the past were well done (you knew the 3rd bloke beaming onto the drill rig just wasn't going to make it, didn't you?) but yes; that lens flare was annoying after the 15th time, never mind the other 80million flashes!

(to suggest an answer as to why nero couldn't make the jump finally, wasn't his ship already crippled by red matter?)

a good laugh, looked great - when will the 3-d edition be rushed out?