Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:23 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Re: Dubnobasswithmyheadman: 20th Anniversary 5-CD Deluxe Boxset
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
The contents of the book are beautiful and provocative but they are not Dubnobass. They are some other underworld record, perhaps one yet to be created. This seems like a missed opportunity to present the gorgeous and truly iconic original album imagery in a deluxe format, perhaps alongside other pieces from the era: the Cowgirl/Dirty Epic EP, Dark & Long, Skyscaper, etc. Again I stress that this work is beautiful, it's just not work that reflects this album. I'm utterly perplexed by this choice. Perhaps the thinking was that the original artwork would be reproduced for the vinyl reissue? Overall the Barking deluxe edition was the more successful object.
there is the mmm...skyscraper book....i actually have multiple copies, the first edition (1994) and the 2nd edition (published in 97), the first edition uses a different paper stock making it not as thick as the 2nd release, and it also looks like the first edition (at least the one I have) got cut a quarter of an inch shorter.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
Let me know.if the blue ray is noticeably better than the CDs, I'm interested in it but only if there's a discernable difference.

It will be at least a week for me. I don't own a quality stereo system yet to give a proper recommendation. I put in my player to see how it works since this is my first strictly audio blu-ray disc. The insert is the Tomato artwork / typography from the '94 release.

It does come with 3 audio options:

2.0 LPCM Stereo 24bit / 96kHz
2.0 DTS Stereo 24bit / 96kHz
2.0 Dolby TrueHD 24bit / 96kHz

Screenshot of my TV: (the background image is static throughout)

Jason
Old 10-11-2014, 06:53 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
still no delivery of said box set. starting to worry. i also don't have a tracking number on my email confirming shipment.
Received it yesterday. Love the packaging.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:45 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
It will be at least a week for me. I don't own a quality stereo system yet to give a proper recommendation. I put in my player to see how it works since this is my first strictly audio blu-ray disc. The insert is the Tomato artwork / typography from the '94 release.

It does come with 3 audio options:

2.0 LPCM Stereo 24bit / 96kHz
2.0 DTS Stereo 24bit / 96kHz
2.0 Dolby TrueHD 24bit / 96kHz

Screenshot of my TV: (the background image is static throughout)

Jason
If that background were changing and moving throughout... oh man. From the looks of it I'll have to get that disc.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Just listened to discs 4 and 5... They sounded fine to me! Hey, these are works in progress, so I don't expect a masterful remix or remaster. But really, the tracks sound fine. The only real hiss is in the spoken introductions. Sometimes it's just fun to hear the rough mixes and works-in-progress. And they are magnificent!

Last edited by holden; 10-11-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

Just opened the vinyl that I bought last night, it's fucking filthy with bits of packing embedded in it. >.<
Old 10-12-2014, 04:17 PM
negative1

after going through the boxset.
=================================
1) the booklet is fine, not sure why some people would think it doesn't fit in with theme.

i'm going to reframe it as a hardcover though, maybe add in some pages from the
mmm skyscraper

(you can get cheap copies here : http://www.amazon.com/Mmm-Skyscraper.../dp/1873968582 )

2) i don't mind that the boxset has yellow in it, it doesn't ruin anything for me. sure it
could be the original black and white, but its an artistic decision

3) the album remaster is very good, might have to get the bluray

4) the b-sides and remixes, have some previously unreleased vinyl tracks, and
better versions of some of the mixes, so it was nice to get those. some tracks did
have hiss and noise though.

5) the non album tracks are all great, and a nice treasure trove to listen to

6) the live jam again is excellent, and a great addition, however the sound quality
is subpar at times

about the noise/no noise.... i'm fine with lesser quality sounding tracks, and glitches etc.

but i also like having cleaner versions for my own person use, and listening. depending
on the mood i'm in, it doesn't bother me as much. in fact with several projects that i've
been doing, that has been the major motivation for them.

i'm all for preserving the originals, and will keep the boxset and tracks as is for reference.
but for most of my listening i can live with 'cleaner' versions of the tracks too.

despite the missing tracks, a couple of typos, and varying quality. i feel this is a very good
boxset, and appreciate all the missing and unreleased material on it.

great time to be a fan of the early underworld tracks. hope they can repeat this when they
do the 'second toughest infants' one.

later
Old 10-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Jamiel
Jamiel

I am finding it really interesting to hear the early versions of some of the tracks, especially to hear the sound palette the band were using, and how it was refined down to make the Underworld sound we know.

Bigmouth from disc 5 has a very Orbital like synth line that didn't appear in any later Underworld music, the sounds on Eclipse don't have the darkness and depth that I would associate with Underworld. Lots of other examples. This is no criticism of the music, it is just very interesting to hear its evolution.

I am really enjoying the box set, there is more on there that I didn't have than I expected, having a lot of the singles like the Dark and Long releases, Dirty, Spikee,etc.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM
DaddyAdv
pants

Finall,y my 5-CD-Deluxe arrived (from Topspin) here in Germany.
Off to the CD player then :-)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
markreed
mouseman

Is there a quick and easy guide to what isn't on this reissue? I can think "Why Why Why", "Second Hand", "215 Miles", "Spoon Deep", "Dark Hard", "Cowgirl (Winjer)", and the "Mother Earth" 12"mixes. Any ideas why? I wouldn't've hurt them to put an extra CD or 2 in there to fill it out.