Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Strawman
mouseman

Ranking of uw albums
I know we've done this many times before but now that we've had Barking for a while, how would you rank the studio albums?

Here is mine:

1. STITI (by far the best album)
2. AHDO
3. Dubno
4. Barking
5. BF
6. OWB

I find it difficult to rank any album last but I just find I listen to OWB the least. Also I would rank 1 or 2 songs from BF in the top 5 uw songs but as an album I just don't listen to it.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Ranking of uw albums
A couple years back, we had a thread like this and I tried to be semi-statisticval by ranking each song on a 1-10 scale and then tallying for the albums. I was surprised to find that STITI was mathematically highest...it's a great album, but not one that i necessarily listen to the most.

AS always with music, so much is tied to our memories and emotions. Each of the Underworld albums (at least mkII and on) has such strong ties to places, people, times of my life, that my listening enjoyment is tied to alll these intangible things. That said, i still get a kick out of making new memories with UW as the soundtrack and hearing new/overlooked sounds therein.

If i were to rank them (studio LPS only) today, it's be:

Beaucoup Fish
Dubno
STITI
Barking
AHDO
OWB

That's likely to change later on!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Strawman
mouseman

AS always with music, so much is tied to our memories and emotions. Each of the Underworld albums (at least mkII and on) has such strong ties to places, people, times of my life, that my listening enjoyment is tied to alll these intangible things. That said, i still get a kick out of making new memories with UW as the soundtrack and hearing new/overlooked sounds therein.

Yes that's so true.....
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Ok I'm gonna give this a go... if only because I am unable to sleep and I turned on the computer to distract myself for a little bit... and a chance to emphasise the huge gap in quality between Barking and the rest..

STITI
OWB
BF
Dubno
AHDO

(I cant emphasise this gap enough)

Barking

That actually made me feel a whole lot better... I'd be hard pressed to find an occasion when I have felt the desire to hear Barking again... it's sad.. but when I do listen to it I admit that it is nice and all... makes you feel good, its very easy on the ears and cuddly and all that... but Underworld had never been like that, its an easy option really... that album was about money and prolonging a career.. hopefully it will pay their way through a couple more decent albums in the future.. back to more challenging listening.

I wonder if we should reopen the book on Barking and see if people have changed their minds about it? I know I have... i dont hate it as much!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

1. dubnobasswithmyheadman
2. beaucoup fish
3. second toughest in the infants
4. barking
5. a hundred days off
6. obilivion with bells

i haven't heard 'change the weather' or 'underneath the radar' in a long time— is this just mk2?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 AM
stimpee
Administrator

1. dubno
1. stiti
1. beaucoup fish
2. ahdo
3. owb
97. underneath the radar
98. change the weather
99. barking
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

ok, let's get real technical here:

1. dubnobass
2. second toughest
3. barking
4. doot-doot
5. get us out of here
6. beacoup fish
7. oblivion with bells
8. a hundred days off
9. underneath the radar
10. change the weather

maybe I'm a nut but those two freur albums are great. mk1 stuff not as good as anything since but i am SURE that UTR is better than CTW
Old 06-18-2011, 03:38 AM
marcolphus
mouseman

1. STITI
2. AHDO
3. DUBNO
4. BF
5. OWB
98. Barking
99. All remixes made by other artists than underworld
Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 AM
crazysugarboy
pants

This is going to be difficult but I guess it's going to be based on memory and play count, so here goes:
BF - the album whose release got me into u/w, plus Jumbo has to be my all time fave.
STITI - when I bought it, my mum was seriously ill in hospital (she recovered) and hearing Pearl's Girl for the first time was a huge emotional release!
AHDO - equal 2nd with STITI - released in the autumn and it has an autumnal feel about it - dark, downbeat tracks, with Mo Move and Lutein another 2 of my absolute favs. ("he smoked his smokey lungs")
Barking - perhaps the most instantly accessable cd, almost pop.
OWB - disappointing in the sense that they had abandoned their long, linear style. Faxed Invitation is fabulous but way too short - however, that's Rick and Karl's perogative - you can't expect them to produce tracks like Thing in a Book forever.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:52 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

jeez! why all the hate for barking? "grace" has got to be one of the best tracks they've ever done!