Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM
skyscraper101
river

Moment of the tour so far?
For those that have been to any of the dubno shows already. What were the highlights of the shows for you?

I had a few unexpected highlights. The first was just before they took to the stage when the lights went down and Dark Train - Most 'Ospitable came through the PA. All you could see was 'dubnobasswithmyheadman' on the screen and that magical ambient mix building the excitement. That was pretty special when they eventually walked out during that track.

The second was just how good 'Surfboy' sounded when blasted out. I don't think I've ever been to a show where that was played. It sounded awesome.

Steve Hall DJing support was great. Loved his tunes, wish I could get to listen to them again.

Seeing my wife at her first UW gig having a blast also made my day
Old 03-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Re: Moment of the tour so far?
There are many highlights but the intro and the sound during mm Skyscraper was definilly one of them.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Mike
born013

I took a few recordings of Steve's set in Bristol... there was definitely a "Misterons" sounding mix of Skyscraper in there, and I suspect something that sounded like it could have been UW, but sadly the crowd talking drowned out the music.

Highlight for me was being right in front of Karl.. I don't want to sound all fanboy but it was great seeing how much energy he puts in to his performance that I have never seen before.

Highlights of the main set are Surfboy and Spoonman, both of which sound so much better than the album. The surprise for me was how good Tongue sounds - despite the crowd talking you can make out lots of extra detail in there along with some live strumming by Karl. Rez sounds so powerful these days, and although I am not a particular fan of the harmonica, the grinding beat of Bigmouth is something else.

I wish they had played Spikee at either of the two shows, that would have really made my night, but another time perhaps.

Whilst some of us ache for the days of live jam and improvising (and a louder PA), i'm sure many of you will agree with me that Underworld have never sounded better live!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

For me, the standout parts of Manchester were:Being so close to the front - a very different venue
The eye contact and happy nature of Karl, he really seemed to enjoy the gig
Darren's 'version' of Rez, he loved the attention
Watching my partner Jane's love of them live
Watching a life long fan next to me in tears, she had never seen them live - all she had heard was Everything Everything boy is she missing out

Lastly, the privilege of shooting them from the press pit, with professional camera gear, thanks Danielle at Tomato

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	349

See the post about the Manchester gig for more images, or the gigography Mike linked above.

Last edited by crankphoto; 03-24-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Geo
always loved a film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Whilst some of us ache for the days of live jam and improvising (and a louder PA), i'm sure many of you will agree with me that Underworld have never sounded better live!
I second that! We may not get any improvs, but this is as close to an 1994 rave as we can get

And indeed it sounds amazing!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 AM
CaliWeed
river

At Paradiso 25thMarch:

ALL of the crowd showed appreciation for COWGIRL, a solid minute or two after the song ended.

Truly raving concert-temple, stage fog lifting, and the crowd was seeing the happy times "Richard", mr. Hyde and Price (de)serve well
Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

The front two rows of Gateshead show leapig over the barrier to the standing section was amusing, everyone being so hyped up really made the show and UW looked genuinely happy about the reaction as there was no talking in the quieter songs or nipping to the toilet.

Song wise, Surfboy and Spoonman worked brilliantly live. Never realised how much a harmonica can make people dance as people massively took to the song. Getting Spikee was an unexpected treat and I can only imagine the buzz off the crowd helped. Darren was egging on the crowd during Rez
and he was massively enjoying himself. NUXX was one of the most loudest and heaviest versions I've witnessed live. Great lighting and simple smile machine worked.

Being told we were the first gig to sell out on the door was nice to hear. So the crowd fully took that on and made it a lovely end to the UK tour for them.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

Still so disappointed they didn't play Spikee at the royal festival hall, and then did play it the day after I saw them again.

Seeing them perform Minneapolis was definitely an experience, technical problems and all. The roadie falling over in front of everyone, and the booms the UW machine occasionally let out as Karl tried to explain something silently.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:09 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Apropos of technical problems. This is a beautiful performance of Tongue with all its failures and perfection. Karl´s guitar was brilliant and became even better when he messed it up a little just to show it was for real. It was very emotional all the way, that is why I turned off the camera, I wanted to be there one hundred percent.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Andrea
light at heart

...a moment when you just want to jump down and kiss him all over and the only thing you can do is turning off the camera just to be able to absorb the energy one hundred percent