Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > process.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Andrea
light at heart

Coincidence
OK, this will be pretty hard for me to explain without seeming weird, but my recent visit at the museums in Spain reminded me once again about all those funny coincidences that keep me excited and inspired since the day I´ve started painting.

I have seen these kind of things many times throughout the years, so I´m just curious if any of you have experienced something similar within your branch of art. You know, I´m talking about that sweet surprise when your realize that your creation has already been made in some form by someone else just recently or maybe several years ago.

That some of the most successful painters, like Picasso and Dali, copied old famous paintings was a great surprise for me anyway, mostly because that is how I, an amateur, began to paint in the early 90´s. This was my second painting ever. Not a good copy, not even finished, just my version without the cows and the girl.

But what surprised me even more lately at the Dali museum, was the similarities to some of my old motifs and themes.

After my oil painting period I became restless and wanted to produce things faster. So I started to scrawl and scribble almost everyday for 2-3 years.
It was (and in a way still is) like an obsession, I just had to do it.
I have hundreds of drawings and scrawls in notebooks, on paper pieces and sheets that I later scanned and processed further in Photo Shop.
I guess there are limited amount of things on this Earth to depict, so sooner or later we all make things that others already have done before, but some of the combinations are indeed fascinating.

Have you met with or witnessed coincidences like this within music or other art?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Re: Coincidence
No, but I like your art! Especially that last one!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Oh, I´m glad you like it, thank you! This is just the original. The processed one is slightly different and looks more like a female behind something, so I named it Helen Cage. It´s from 2008

Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Do you know why everybody has that sweet obsession for that black?

There is a room at the Dali museum in Figueres with Dali´s private collection of works of art.
I don´t know what I loved the most - Dali´s taste or Urgell Modest´s untitled version of that black.
Well, It seems I wasn´t the first one with the idea of painting a whole picture with only black, either. But my version had the title SMILE - a Layer 1 painted with #000000 in Photo Shop Elements.

(Sorry for the bad quality. I had a camera with extremely good exposure ability without flash, but somebody stole it at the Barcelona Sants station. It was extremely difficult to take a proper picture behind that air-conditioned glasswall with my new substitute.)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
That some of the most successful painters, like Picasso and Dali, copied old famous paintings was a great surprise for me anyway, mostly because that is how I, an amateur, began to paint in the early 90´s. This was my second painting ever. Not a good copy, not even finished, just my version without the cows and the girl.

Great picture. I think yours has a much softer feel and warmer look. Great work.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Andrea
light at heart

I´m glad you liked it!
Yet the original color is too vivid. I never bothered to take a proper pic of it because it´s not finished yet (and perhaps never will be )

The colours look more like this:
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I think you've misused the word 'coincidence' with the word 'likeness'. But I get what you mean.

WOOOW, faaaarrr out maaaan, or dudette. That words always make me giggle because it reminds me of my Mum correcting me and saying, 'Ette isn't a word. You should say 8." LOLOLOL

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 04-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Andrea
light at heart

oh I´m sorry, but english is not my native language, not even my second language
but I don't think anybody understand what I mean anyway so please, just ignore it
Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

You know I like and love you & you're art. MORE of the clothes! But then again I know how you fashion designer type sewing people fear others biting(80's slang for stealing ideas) on techniques and such.

OH! MORE KITTENS AND PUPPIES!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Andrea
light at heart

You know, if I lived in your city I would ask you out for a coffee and tell you the truth. That I never copy or steal ideas, that it just pours out. Sometimes every day squeezing ´till you burst into laughter or crying, sometimes not at all. Just like it is described on the diary today. You see, that is the only truth that makes me happy in this otherwise bittersweet experience.

MORE of the clothes? MORE KITTENS AND PUPPIES?? ....you make me blush like it still was the 70´s