Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

230605 - 18 minute unedited Silver Boots/Yard Beat/Push Upstairs jam
Here it is

https://www.mixcloud.com/UnderworldL...rworld-230605/

no direct download for now, still very cool. from what I can tell this is not the version of Silver Boots that was played on the radio show many years ago (some different lyrics)...but it's close

happy Thursday y'all
Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

Re: 230605 - 18 minute unedited Silver Boots/Yard Beat/Push Upstairs jam
email has just arrived. No direct download, but some behind the scenes vids and more teasing for the arena shows - music by underworld from doors opening to closing!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:28 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Ooh, Silver Boots takes me back!
They changed ALAF/silver boots up so much, and though I'm fine with the eventually Barking album version, but definitely preferred some of earlier version, especially with the great rolling bassline heard in this mix.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM
mickstafa
river

Hopefully we'll have a straightforward way to download this. I LOVED this mix when it aired on their radio show. So glad to hear it with better quality.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I love this version of Silver Boots before it morphed into ALAF.

First heard at Electraglide in 2003 i think.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

This version ALAF/Silver Boots was the superior form of this track. The Barking version has never compared IMO. That one is a fine work in its own right but there's just no un-hearing this one.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

This is exactly what was played on the 2006-05-13 Lemonworld radio broadcast (tracks 5-7), so I'm a bit disappointed that this isn't something new. I guess I didn't realize that they weren't playing it out live on the radio show, but rather playing back this rehearsal which had been recorded nearly a year earlier.

I went back and looked at the webcam footage from the radio show, and I guess it should have been obvious they weren't playing live when Karl was writing and holding up signs like this while the song was playing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webcam145.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	442  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:19 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

This mix just reminds me of how fertile the RiverRun/Oblivion period was for Underworld. They'd successfully transitioned out of their 90s sound and into something wholly unique but still indelibly Underworld. I don't think they've sounded so strong since -- but in time the Drift series may prove to be a similar exercise, with Barbara Barbara serving as the kind of transition work that AHDO was.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
This is exactly what was played on the 2006-05-13 Lemonworld radio broadcast (tracks 5-7), so I'm a bit disappointed that this isn't something new. I guess I didn't realize that they weren't playing it out live on the radio show, but rather playing back this rehearsal which had been recorded nearly a year earlier.
actually I'll have to play these side by side cuz I thought it was different than the version I had but listening again I think it's probably the same. this one's definitely better quality though, which is why I'd love a download

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
This mix just reminds me of how fertile the RiverRun/Oblivion period was for Underworld. They'd successfully transitioned out of their 90s sound and into something wholly unique but still indelibly Underworld. I don't think they've sounded so strong since -- but in time the Drift series may prove to be a similar exercise, with Barbara Barbara serving as the kind of transition work that AHDO was.
agreed - I thought OWB was a fantastic album, and I loved the Riverrun stuff, plus all the unreleased stuff like this, "You Do Scribble", "Bamboo", and a personal favorite "Swing Up High" (anyone remember that one?). that Tokyo live set pretty much confirmed to me that they were at 100% strength.

that said...IMO Underworld's had three peaks, one is 93-96, another is 05-07, and the 3rd is happening right now. I've been listening to a LOT of Underworld this year and I keep wanting to come back to the new stuff
Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM
purlieu
enofa

Yeah, the Riverrun era (including OWB, as the band put it) was a real peak for me.

If my memory serves me well, there was a version of the track that had the main sound of Silver Boots but the vocals of Always Loved a Film on the site a year or so before Barking came out. Unless I'm imagining it, but I do recall really liking it, and being so disappointed with the final version. The pummelling kick and strangely muffled sound is so strange and so utterly Underworld.

Drift really does feel like another creative peak for me, it's hard to believe just how much good material is coming out this project, and even most of the lesser tracks are at least interesting. I listened to Barbara the other day, and although I enjoyed it, a lot of it feels really safe in comparison to what we're getting at the minute. It's such an exciting time to be a fan.