Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > craft.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Mthrfckrz Mix (Electro House) [Advice Requested]
I've downloaded and enjoyed so many of the mixes posted here over the years, thought I should shit or get off the pot, right? Plus there's an Underworld portion of this I think you guys will like.

MTHRFCKRZ Mix (57 MIN, AAC format, 82 MB)

Most of this music is already a few years old, but I had pieces of this thing in my head all this time and I just needed to get it out.

The mix features samples/elements/portions of, in this sequence:

01. New Order: Exit
02. LCD Soundsystem: North American Scum (Kris Menace Remix)
03. Underworld: Peggy Sussed (Pete Heller Vocal)
04. MSTRKRFT: Street Justice (2007 Version)
05. Mylo: Drop The Pressure (Rex the Dog Remix)
06. Freeform Five: No More Conversations (Mylo Remix)
07. Peaches: Shake Yer Dix (Tiga's Where Were You In '92 Remix)
08. Annie: Chewing Gum (Mylo Remix)
09. The Prodigy: The Way It is (Live Remix)
10. Shiny Toy Guns: Nothing Compares 2 U
11. Goldfrapp: Ooh La La (Tiefschwarz Remix)
12. Simian Mobile Disco: Sleep Deprivation
13. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Cheated Hearts (Peaches Remix)
14. Alter Ego: Rocker (Eric Prydz Remix)
15. Digitalism: Magnets
16. Daft Punk: Technologic (Vitalic Remix)
17. Soulwax: Miserable Girl (Nite Version)
18. Justice: D.A.N.C.E. (Les Rythmes Digitales Remix)
19. Daft Punk: The Brainwasher (Erol Alkan's Horrorhouse Dub)
20. Daft Punk: Robot Rock (Soulwax Remix)
21. Daft Punk: Oh Yeah
22. Soulwax: NY Lipps
23. Simian Mobile Disco: It's The Beat
24. Pet Shop Boys: Integral (Perfect Immaculate Mix)
25. The Chemical Brothers: Star Guitar
26. Daft Punk: Too Long (Live)
27. The Chemical Brothers: Elektrobank
28. Diddy & Felix da Housecat: 20 Minute Versions
29. Robyn: Be Mine! (Ocelot Mthrfckrs Remix)
30. Marilyn Manson Vs. Goldfrapp: This Is The New Shit

Besides Traktor 3 and a mouse, I have no gear whatsoever. I don't even have a separate headphone output, so I did all this the looooong way, if you know what I mean. I'm long past the point where I want to use some real gear and get out of the bedroom. I know I want to stay digital for the moment, and my research suggests the VCI-100 is the best way to go. But I'd like the Dirty DJ community's opinion.

This mix is where I'm at, musically, for the moment, but I want to do more complicated things with mixing, remixing, transitions and effects. So if anyone's kind enough to listen to this mix, would you please let me know if the VCI-100 is what I want, or recommend other options? I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:37 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Mthrfckrz Mix (Electro House) [Advice Requested]
Hey johnny-m!

Thanks for posting! i'll definitely check your mix out and give you some feedback soon.

Don't feel too badly about the lack of gear - it's not the toys that are important, but how you use them. Mixing is an art and takes practice, and even with the best equipment, an inexperienced mixer will cause trainwrecks. If you have an ear for good tunes and can quickly recall songs that are in similar keys/tempos/"feels", (as it seems you can, judging from the tracklist), you're on the right path.

Just for giggles, my first "mixes" were done solely with Sony ACID, whereby i beatmatched tracks individually, and while the music played, i'd scramble through my collection to find some track that "might" work. A lot of extra time spent "fixing" the stutters and pitches. Now, i still like the studio mix that i can spend time on, but play around with Torq digital mixer and am taking lessons on turntables. So many mixes these days are done in Ableton or other laptop programs, that the true art of balancing the spinning plates is being lost a bit.

Cheers,
holden
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Thanks for the encouraging words, Holden. Looking forward to your remarks!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Hey johnny-m!

Just for giggles, my first "mixes" were done solely with Sony ACID, whereby i beatmatched tracks individually, and while the music played, i'd scramble through my collection to find some track that "might" work. A lot of extra time spent "fixing" the stutters and pitches.
i don't exactly DJ myself but we all have to start somewhere right? Well Sonic Acid 3.0 is what i started on, and i believe Sony have bought it since, and these days i still use Sonic Acid Pro. 4.0 ...

..but like i said i don't DJ, when i started makin music i would sample a lot of stuff, because all i had was a semi-acoustic guitar and a pedal and input into the computer...so finding that beat to work with your own music and realising that your own music was never at a constant beat....well....needless to say a lot of "fixing" went on....

..but these tracks...eventhough today i am quite happily producing music with a mix of Reason, Cubase and Acid PRo 4.0 (and performing live with Reason, my guitar, a mixer, midi controllers, a few pedals and recently i added a numark dj dual cd player and a mixer for that).... these first tracks mean so much to me now... the amount of work and time...and the mistakes... so nostalgic ...ha and it was what...4 years ago? not even that long...

but i guess what im trying to say is that while you may push for the more advanced equipment its the stuff that you produce when your still just banging spoons off pots and pans....thats the stuff that you need to remember when your waiting for your shiney new computer to render another 2hour mix you just banged out on your top of the range gear.... remember those days and apply it to your new shiney gear... cus if you put just as much effort in you will come out with something mad...something absolutely STONKIN!

well thats what i think anyway.... im gonna give your stuff a listen to now..

Dave
www.intheblackbox.eu
Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Sorry man im having trouble opening it.... its just the format that infact my Acid has hijacked it and started looping it....wierd...so i only have like 4 seconds of the start over and over... ill see if i can fix it and give it a listen.

bare with me
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
Sorry man im having trouble opening it.... its just the format that infact my Acid has hijacked it and started looping it....wierd...so i only have like 4 seconds of the start over and over... ill see if i can fix it and give it a listen.

bare with me
Weird! Here's an mp3 version instead:

KILLKILLKILL MTHRFCKRZ Mix (MP3 format, 96 MB, 57:07 MIN)
Old 02-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymetropolis View Post
Weird! Here's an mp3 version instead:

KILLKILLKILL MTHRFCKRZ Mix (MP3 format, 96 MB, 57:07 MIN)
Ok cool thanks... listening to it now...just breaking into a bit of underworld...liking it already hahaha

let you know when im done
Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I'm not able to download anything at the moment as I have so little memory(on my computer) for anything.

For now.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

My advice is if you are going down the computer route rather than turntables, wait a few months for Celemony's Melodyne Editor to be released. If it's half as good as it claims to be, it's going to completely revolutionise mixing.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
melodyne is a pain in the ass. i've been playing with it since early beta, and now have the full version as shipped with protools 8... it's an interesting concept, maybe useful for engineering purposes, but i'm not sure ther ewould be a good dj application.

ableton live. period.