Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:33 PM
iamneorev
pants

Re: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Teatime Dub Encounters (New EP: releases July 27th, 2018)
Surpisingly, this release has grown on me. I didn't think I would listen to it as often as I am.

Sometimes I like to put on my headphones and put on some Slow TV footage on my 60" 4K TV (on mute,of course) and I just sit back, zone out, and let the music and visuals take me away. It's quite relaxing. I don’t know if you folks know of Slow TV, but they are usually very long videos of various events or moments, like a train ride between cities or a fireplace crackling away, or shot of a beach with its ambience that go on for hours.

Anyway, I threw on this video...

and listenend to Teatime Dub Encounters and had quite an enjoyable immersive experience.

Underworld are also great when watching Slow TV train journeys, especially with Dubnobasswithmyheadman.

Last edited by iamneorev; 07-29-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Re: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Teatime Dub Encounters (New EP: releases July 27th, 2018)
Trapped is very Sigue Sigue Sputnik... I'm well aware that I'm probably the only person who thinks this is a good thing :-)

My Japanese CD arrived today. It's very nicely packaged, the title is printed in white onto the jewel case so it's raised up from the paper inlay, and there's a 20 page lyric insert that's orders of magnitude more accurate than most. It also seems to have an interview in it, but unlike the lyrics which are bilingual, that bit is in Japanese only. The 2 instrumentals are pretty much exactly that - no obvious changes, edits or extra bits. They missed a trick here, as they would be greatly improved by being Karl only and Esme only mixes. Hmm, I may have to do some edits myself...

Last edited by Lx_Nen; 07-30-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:02 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

My 12 is sat at the post office. Does it come with digitial or is that gonna be finding it elsewhere on the internet kind of thing?
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 AM
saintrik
temperature drops

Like many of you, Pitchfork doesn't love it either...
Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 AM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrik View Post
And for good reason, the criticism is leveled at Iggy.

He's just not bringing much of anything good or relevant to the table on this release. He lets the music down tremendously.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:30 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrik View Post
4.1 out of 10. Lowest score Underworld’s ever received on Pitchfork. But then again they also gave the King of Snake remixes a 9.1.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:30 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
4.1 out of 10. Lowest score Underworld’s ever received on Pitchfork. But then again they also gave the King of Snake remixes a 9.1.
Well, to be fair, it's a 4.7 ( arbitrary decimal place) and it's pitchfork, who are all over the map as far as quality reviews go. But yeah, I think the reviewer is spot on here.

I keep listening to these songs and trying to admire the sounds and think about what sentiments they were going for. But the lyrics are so generic and juvenile that it's tough not to wish "what if R&K had kept these to themselves?". One track in the spirit of T2's themes is plenty and a curiousity maybe. Four is Overkill.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:30 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
I keep listening to these songs and trying to admire the sounds and think about what sentiments they were going for. But the lyrics are so generic and juvenile that it's tough not to wish "what if R&K had kept these to themselves?". One track in the spirit of T2's themes is plenty and a curiousity maybe. Four is Overkill.
Right! It did make me realize that the sounds aren't enough, and I love Karl even more because of these. I wonder if Iggy's fans will like this release or despise it? I don't imagine much backwards crossover in terms of fans and music taste. People who like techno tend to like rock as well. I don't think its the same in the other direction tho.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:58 AM
purlieu
enofa

Ha, I know so many people into electronic music who won't go near guitar-based music.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 AM
BishBash
mouseman

All you people unable to take a holiday from Karl's random stream of consciousness stuff. Good Lord. Karl seems more happy about it than most of you!

Get Your Shirt is on BBC 6 Music's A-List. Quite right too; it's great.

https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status...92815793647624

(Is there a way to embed twitters here?)