Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Cadevil
exilio

Best Mangu Ever
The piano in this track is recycled from Ancient Phat Farm Coat, no?

I love how this album unfolds and BME is a great ending...worthy of it's predecessors...Luetin, Stagger, Moaner, ME

Whoops...should be Mamgu.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Re: Best Mangu Ever
well dunno about recycled, but Rick seems to like this style of playing very much so it seems to get into uw songs here and there.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:10 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

i think mangu is something completely different

i love this track too
Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Blueski
árni grétar

Send a message via MSN to Blueski
Yeah, It's the same piano from 'Ancient Phat Farm Coat' -- I love it.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

that style of playing is called a Steve Reich homage if you're being generous and a Steve Reich rip-off if you're being honest.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 AM
stimpee
Administrator

I was gonna correct Cadevil's bad spelling (again) but its funnier this way.

Best Man-goo Ever. now it sounds gay. Like biz.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:33 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

hmm.
the album is alright. 'holding the moth' sounds a bit like mother earth (the instrumental part at least). the whole thing is good, but it's all very laid back... but best mamgu ever is the pinnacle of that laid-backness. that being said, i don't like it. when you compare it to 'mother earth', 'moaner', 'luetin' and even 'stagger', it's a very poor choice for an album closer. it's almost like filler at the end. there is some filler on the album, namely 'cuddle bunny vs. the celtic villages' and 'to heal'. not to say that they're bad songs, they're not, they're just filler between the main tracks.

'faxed invitation' is a little disappointing, because it has probably the best lyrics on the album, but the music is, once again, very subdued. 'boy boy boy' is nice, i like it. 'beautiful burnout' is much better than 'biro the leggy', much more going on. 'glam bucket' is sort of like radiohead or depeche mode, it's good. i even like 'ring road'. i think it's quite a good song.
i played this album in my art class today, and i got a generally good response. but the response i got for some of the songs was 'i like this, it's relaxing'. and i don't mean to disrespect underworld, but they're not really supposed to be 'relaxing'. if you listen to 'dubno', every song on there is engaging, even songs like 'river of bass' have you thinking, but parts of 'oblivion with bells' sound like a beige wall or something. and 'best mamgu ever' is probably the best example of that.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
i don't mean to disrespect underworld, but they're not really supposed to be 'relaxing'.
yeah boys! come on! where are the bangers! you're not supposed to be relaxing, you're supposed to do full on club tracks!

memo to rick and karl: you're not supposed to be relaxing. please get back to songs drunk frat boys can sing along to.

thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

i don't like born slippy nuxx btw.

i mean they've been very mentally stimulating until these last two, and you can kind of doze away mid-song. something like cherry pie or tongue or something, it's mentally stimulating, even if it's relaxing. does that make any sense? like i can listen to tongue and be very 'in-tune' to the whole thing, the guitar, the vocals, the ambient sounds in the background of somebody walking through a garden, i can even picture it in my head. in contrast, 'best mamgu ever' is rather dull. it's good that they're not repeating the same thing over and over, but i kind of wish they'd go more in the direction of acoustic guitar than ambient techno, although there is a bit of that here, it's more strumming than playing. i don't know. listen to 'can utility and the coastliners' by genesis. i know they aren't going to go prog rock, but the guitar work on that song is the type of thing i'm talking about. there's a lot of that on previous releases, even 100 days off had it with ess gee (i know most people don't like this, but i thought it was nice).

btw, 'faxed invitation' is still good even though the lyrics beg for more (imo). i love the hammond organ at the end. that's amazing. what other techno band do you know that uses a hammond?

Last edited by bryantm3; 10-16-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

bryantm3, i hear what you're saying, but i disagree totally with your statement re: Best Mamgu Ever. i think it's a wonderful rolling downtempo tune. are you sure you've got the volume loud enough?