Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
human151
deletion

The Smiths turn down $5 million to reunite
While its sad to not see them make music together once again, they were great, I'm glad that the group has morals and are real artists and not in it just for the money.

I have always respected Morrissey and now even more so.

By Barry A. Jeckell
Billboard
Updated: 9:36 p.m. ET March 16, 2006

AUSTIN, Texas - Pioneering U.K. modern rock band the Smiths turned down a $5 million offer to reunite at the upcoming Coachella Valley Arts & Music Festival in southern California, former frontman Morrissey said Thursday.
His revelation, during a public interview at the South By Southwest Music & Media Conference in Austin, triggered gasps from the audience. When journalist David Fricke asked if he had considered it, Morrissey replied, “No, because money doesn’t come into it,” a response that drew applause from the crowd.
Of the critically adored act, which broke up in the late 1980s, Morrissey said, “It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn’t feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. [Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr] wanted to end it. And that was that.”

Discussing his forthcoming album, “Ringleader of the Tormentors,” due April 4 via Attack/Sanctuary, the notoriously gloomy singer/songwriter admitted that he’s writing songs from a good place these days.
“I’m just seeing lots of joyful things in life, which I didn’t in the past,” he said, adding slyly, “Which maybe you noticed.
“Politically the world is ridiculous,” he said. “But there’s still a lot of beautiful things ... Nature saves us, nature calms us down.”
Morrissey will first support the album with a European tour that includes a six-week run of sold-out shows in the United Kingdom. A North American leg is also expected.
Coachella, which takes place April 29-30 about 120 miles east of Los Angeles, will feature such acts as Depeche Mode, Tool and Madonna.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
ndrwrld
blue

Re: The Smiths turn down $5 million to reunite
it has everything to do with Marr not wanting anything to do with this.
IMO, it isnt a Smiths reunion / concert, if Marr isnt a part of it.