Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Animal Boything
mouseman

Send a message via AIM to Animal Boything
Re: Batman Begins
I dug this up because the DVD is out now, in three versions. Fullscreen, widescreen, and deluxe. The deluxe one has a buttload of cool extras, including a small comic book with several of the stories that heavily influenced the movie, including the first Batman comic ever, which is pretty crazy to read after the concept has been spun in so many directions over the years. Batman started out pretty hardcore... he threw a guy into a tank of acid! Not exactly Adam West material.

I really appreciate their releasing the fancy edition concurrently with the cheapo one. It's interesting to note that they also FINALLY released a special edition of the 1989 Tim Burton Batman. That is a good example of how to totally botch a DVD release date. I waited forever for that to come out, but now it's been trumped by a way better Batman movie so I'm not even gonna bother with it. Well, maybe someday. I will admit that standing on its own merits it is a fine film, but as an adaptation of the comics it's pretty far off-base.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Kennrr
mouseman

yeah i only recently saw this after buying the dvd. haven't looked at the extra dvd yet, but i loved the movie. can't wait for the next one, so will the joker be revisited again? scarecrow was a weenie, this movie was so much better with only the one liners used sparsly.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:40 AM
third.toughest
Was Bruce Lee-now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kennrr

can't wait for the next one, so will the joker be revisited again?
This was a pre-quel to the 1989 Tim Burton Batman so no, I don't think the next one will have Joker as it took place right before TB version.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Kennrr
mouseman

so they said its in the same universe as tim burton's batman? i wouldn't really complain if he was the villian for the next movie, what great villians are left?

just finished the bonus dvd and have to say its one of the few extra dvd specials that i actually wanted to watch and enjoyed. don't know if its because i liked the movie or because it was really interesting. first off, so was this a british film because it seems like everyone involved in the process is british and most the filming done there too. second off, the FUCKING TUMBLER IS BADMOTHERFUCKINGASS!!! thought it was cool watching the film but seeing the process that they went through to make the film for the film was impressive. i'd take a tumbler over a ferrari anyday. seeing them test drive it on backroads made me envious.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:02 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Okay it's been damn long enough, no excuses,

SPOILERS AHOY!

If Batman had a problem with killing that one dude at the first, why did he not mind KILLING EVERYONE ELSE IN THE ROOM!?!?

The scene with his parents could have been avoided if they went out the main doors and not a freaking alley.

Batman sounded like Donald Trump everytime he put on the suit....really laughable shit.

The "fight" at the shipping yard was a mess and just went nowhere...too zoomed in and dark to make out anything. Sound effects and some dumb acting extras.

It would appear if you light a brick mansion on fire the bricks explode.....!

and once it burns to the ground....the slab it was built on is only a quarter the size of the mansion that was on it...how the fuck is that?

Gotta admit, the trippy shit was cool with the drugs being sprayed (especially when Scarecrow looks at B-man...ha ha) but it didn't work well as the main threat.....OH NO, the whole city could trip out, maaaaan. Heavy.

Booooooo.........give me Burton's junkyard dog Batman anyday over this trying too hard Nolan crap.

Glad you guys like it....and it wasn't as bad as most Batmans...but for me it was a huge letdown. I'll try it once more on dvd or hbo, maybe it'll grow on me. Still have hopes for the sequel because they don't need an hour of setup material.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Animal Boything
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by third.toughest
This was a pre-quel to the 1989 Tim Burton Batman so no, I don't think the next one will have Joker as it took place right before TB version.
Actually it's not a prequel (it was not intended as such and the continuity does not match up in the least) and they do plan on putting the Joker in the next one.

Here's some quotes from an anonymous "insider" that I stole from a fansite which is a real chore to read:

Quote:
"All the major characters from the first film aside from the villains are back."

"Two additions to the cast of 'good guys:' Harvey Dent and Sarah Essen."

"[The] Joker will be in this film, although he will be just one of several major villains."

"The Joker. I won't spoil things for you but those expecting an exact translation of [the Character] from the comics, in terms of costume, you will be disappointed. However, let may say that this Joker will be the 'The Joker;' the way character is written is very faithful to [how] he is in the comics and I can see why WB is not interested in actors like Crispin Glover or Johnny Depp."

"I won't reveal all the villains, but I'll leave a few hints that the avid comic fan should be able to decipher. One will be an ambiguous mob boss with ties to the late Dr. Thomas Wayne. Another will be an industrial heir not unlike Bruce Wayne - in fact it could be said that he is a dark mirror of Bruce. Over the course of the story, he will be forced to present a new 'face.' And then we have a small, almost cameo type [appearence by a] villain who is considered a 'classic rouge' as a British arms dealer. It may sound a bit crowded, but it all fits together, makes sense, and works much like a comic story arc."

Sarah Essen - a former GPD cop with "ties" to Gordon - now work for the ATF.

"As for the villains plot, the mob boss and the heir get involved with a major arms deal with the 'British Guy,' while Batman and his allies attempt to foil it. [As a result,] they uncover more of the corruption plauging Gotham. Unfortunatly for both sides, nobody knew there was a Joker in the deck who complicates matters."
And here's a good interview with Nolan.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:31 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

my friend (not a comicbook enthusiast) thought the same too after he saw the end of the movie on dvd. he thought this was the prequel to the first Batman movie since the joker was the bad guy in Burton's 89 movie.

AFAIK it IS a prequel.....to Batman (as a character and not as the Burton movie). or like a movie version of the "prequel" stories of the comicbook.

(plus the obvious continuity issue...Joker killed Bruce's parents in the 89 movie)
Old 10-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Animal Boything
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenaki koe
(plus the obvious continuity issue...Joker killed Bruce's parents in the 89 movie)
By the way, this is my least favorite element of that movie. Batman is supposed to be altruistic and heroic, out to protect the people at his own expense, and they reduced his mission to a personal vendetta against one guy. The Joker killed his parents so he killed the Joker. That's the opposite of what Batman is about. Kudos to Batman Begins for getting it right!