Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: Underworld and Prog Bands
a thread about prog rock was always going to be devoid of humour - and that's probably where prog and uw part company - there's always been a playful nature about uw, whereas prog was incredibly po-faced - rock dinosaurs that thankfully got punk going. the uk dance music ethic was also very punk. ergo - new thread - uw and punk.

this thread needed tap not as a factual reference; but to stop it disappearing up phil collins' jacksie!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
change
weekend blues

Send a message via ICQ to change Send a message via AIM to change Send a message via MSN to change Send a message via Yahoo to change
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoe
I like Floyd, and Tool if they qualify.
So, does Tool Qualify? And this may be stretching it, but what about Nine Inch Nails? I feel The Fragile was a pretty progressive album. As much as I love UW (my favorite artists), The Fragile is my all-time favorite Album. As a whole.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 AM
justy
river

This thread has an air of young people dismissing music their parents liked, and by young, I mean younger than 40.

Todd Rundgren was prog, and while he had his share of too-serious-to-loosen-up epics, some of his music is hilarious (check out the song "Onomatopoeia").

You could call Frank Zappa prog, but he took the piss on the form as often as not.

And the Ozric Tentacles are frequently very funny, if song titles are any indication, to their link with electronic music (Merv Pepler, drummer, playing d'n'b breaks live-on-a-kit on some early 90s songs).

Last edited by justy; 01-19-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justy
This thread has an air of young people dismissing music their parents liked, and by young, I mean younger than 40.
I would like to agree with you and in general its usually the correct comment but some young things here have been perverted by prog. ho hum.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Flywaver
vision

And the Ozric Tentacles are frequently very funny, if song titles are any indication, to their link with electronic music (Merv Pepler, drummer, playing d'n'b breaks live-on-a-kit on some early 90s songs).[/quote]

Isn't there link Eat Static?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

some people like Genesis and Underworld at the same time and we're trying to find a link...

there's no need...

end of thread...thank you
Old 01-21-2006, 11:34 AM
justy
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywaver
Isn't their link Eat Static?
That's correct: Merv and Joie of Eat Static were both members of Ozric Tentacles until the late 90s.

As for links... isn't it enough that people like any of these bands at the same time? Influences might be pretty tenuous (and I'd say, rather than a thread about prog rock being humorless, any thread that asks people to defend their favorite genres of music will be humorless, as some get really defensive), but it might be instructive to take a look. Even if it goes so far as to say that, for instance, prog is more classically influenced (ELP covering Aaron Copland and Bach), while electronic music (esp. Underworld) is more influenced by contemporary classical composers like Cage and Glass (that is, minimalist and other types of avant-garde which leaked into rock music via Eno and Throbbing Gristle (and if you've been listening to latter day Genesis P'orridge, you've been listening to post-prog psychedelic rock-- and there's probably a difference between those genres too).

But they all feed on each other... so who gives a fuck? Enjoy the music you enjoy.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Dace Doughnut
river

Location: since we're heading back to the 80s, wherever i leave my hat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywaver
Indie had it too.Many bands were ahead of there time but never really hit the mainstream or they started off a trend.A great band was Curve for example.Anyone like Curve?
FECK! yes, curve were fantastic. first too EPs were anyway, 'ten little
girls' immediately springs too mind. shit albums though; but toni haliday! what a front woman! prolly looks like a boot these days but is still trying apparently. would never describe them as prog though.... and even less
inclined to dig out the cds (could never get the hang of vinyl).