Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:02 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: New Chemical Brothers album announced
Well, i'm on my second full listen, and i'd agree that "No Geography" is much more cohesive than "Born in the Echoes", and the sonic experiments are rooted in what the Chems' have always used to their best effects - inventive, but punchy drums, elastic basslines, oscillating/nearly ear-piercing key squelches, and interesting, but generally lightweight vocals.

I'm a big fan that the first three tracks are continuously mixed, and bangers. The singles we've already heard sound better in context. The adventurous middle ("Gravity Drops" and "The Universe Sent Me") are on par with the non-single album tracks on "Come With Us" and "Surrender", not the weird-for-weirdness sake pap on "We are the Night" or "BITE".
Having Aurora on board for three tracks (plus similar-sounding female vocalists/samples on three more) gives the record, for lack of a better term, a distinct voice, and helps communicate whatever message or concept you/others/critics are getting from the record.
Finally, at 45-ish minutes, it's like Underworld's "BBWFASF" - all killer, hardly any filler, and leaves you wanting more and not overstaying it's welcome.

I'll need to spend the weekend listening in various contexts, but first impression was very strong, and it all sounds fresh. As i mentioned above in this thread, i was such a Chemical Brothers fan for their first four records, but the downward slide of Push the Button and We are the Night almost ruined them for me. Thankfully "Further" reset them and along with "Hanna", freed them to make exciting electro instrumentals without appealing to pop big names or goofy guest spots. "BITE" was a step back in that respect. "No Geography" is a reminder of what i loved about their first four albums, but with an updated sound.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:03 AM
Jafs
Tells

After my first listen the only low point in there is "We've Got to Try", but overall it's a really welcome return to form, and as holden said the singles feel even better when going through this album.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafs View Post
After my first listen the only low point in there is "We've Got to Try", but overall it's a really welcome return to form, and as holden said the singles feel even better when going through this album.
And I love "We've Got to Try".

Gravity feels very thin to me. Overall 3 or 4 tracks seem to feel like remixes of each other probably because of similar tones and similar vocals.

I like it a bit more after a bunch more listens, but overall I find the singles that were released to by my favorite tracks.

Also feel like No Geography would be quite at home on an Orbital album. And Gravity Drops feels like a Leftfield track to me.

Absolutley love Universe Sent Me.

Last edited by potatobroth; 04-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Jafs
Tells

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
And I love "We've Got to Try".
I feel the full title should has been "We've got to try some stupid EDM of barely better level of what others are doing and then use it as a filler"

Quote:

Best track on the album.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafs View Post
I feel the full title should has been "We've got to try some stupid EDM of barely better level of what others are doing and then use it as a filler"

Best track on the album.
for me that's BAM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:05 AM
spacejunk
vision, come on...

Quote:
Yes!

It's sorta Hold Tight London: Part 2.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post
Yes!

It's sorta Hold Tight London: Part 2.
oh damn yer right. i hadnt even made that connection until you mentioned it.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

tbh I've liked pretty much everything the CBs ever did, even the weaker material where they don't have many ideas and their heads didn't really seem to be in it (most of Born in the Echoes comes off that way to me). but this legitimately sounds great to me, after a few listens I was already convinced it was up there with their best. It's a lot of fun, and I think it does it without compromising their sound as they've done in the past. I actually like the shorter runtime...if anything it forced them to make the tunes denser and more focused. Also the way they use vocals on the album (including a bunch of samples, which they rarely did before) is really cool.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:11 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
tbh I've liked pretty much everything the CBs ever did, even the weaker material where they don't have many ideas and their heads didn't really seem to be in it (most of Born in the Echoes comes off that way to me). but this legitimately sounds great to me, after a few listens I was already convinced it was up there with their best. It's a lot of fun, and I think it does it without compromising their sound as they've done in the past. I actually like the shorter runtime...if anything it forced them to make the tunes denser and more focused. Also the way they use vocals on the album (including a bunch of samples, which they rarely did before) is really cool.
My Japan edition CD arrived yesterday! I agree, this album is up their with their best. Yes, Born In The Echoes felt/sounded very uninspired and meandering to me. I don't mind the shorter tracks if the tracks are amazing.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:37 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
. I don't mind the shorter tracks if the tracks are amazing.
Totally agree! Two weeks since release, and I've been listening every day because it's that enjoyable of an album. I did not get that sense from most post-"Surrender" LPs. Sure, they all had high points, particularly "Further", but this record lacks any cringe moments and the taught tracks grow in esteem with each listen.

I can't even rank it in their catalog, other than it's better than WATN and PTB and BITE.

PS. On the Chems forum, there's some comparison of "No Geography" track to Orbital or Utah Saints. I feel like it's straight up early 90's Moby.

Last edited by holden; 04-26-2019 at 04:06 PM.