Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Karl Hyde Interview and Articles
Karl did an interview on NPR for All Things Considered. Audio should be available in a couple hours:

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/27/179274...maker-surfaces
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
cdave2
dancin' fool

Re: Karl Hyde Interview and Articles
Glad to see some publicity in the US.

The Quietus has an interesting survey of Karl's favorite albums of the moment:
http://thequietus.com/articles/12083...vourite-albums

and a favorable review:
http://thequietus.com/articles/12068...gelands-review
Old 05-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Andrea
light at heart

BBC Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s8vw5
Old 05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Bargo
pants

A brief interview with Karl where he talks about working with Brian Eno.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

http://www.magneticmag.com/2013/04/u...e-are-you-now/

In this interview Karl says of playing guitar with UW, "And when it comes to playing live of course, we’ve tried me playing lots of live guitar. But it’s too live. It’s too different all the time. It’s too human. The kind of music we play requires the sounds to be repetitive in a way we find beautiful and always sound more like the record that we find beautiful. So I never get to play much guitar on stage."

It had me thinking about times I can think of him playing guitar and TMO of course comes to mind, but it's the glam buckets that really stick out as situations where it's REALLY worked. It's a tad dissapointing they don't find ways to work it in. By that same token, of the two live glam buckets i've listened to, one doesn't get mixed out of, and the other has an awkward transition into a TMO.

Kinda rambly, but thoughts?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Andrea
light at heart

He can sing repetitive so he should be able to play guitar repetitive too, if necessary. I still believe he is an excellent guitar player.
His ability to be in tune when he speaks must be even better with live instruments on stage.
Moreover, it is precisely the improvisations he likes best anyway. At least this is how it sounds when he is talking about the sessions with Eno. So honestly I don´t understand why he doesn´t show more of his "awfully well in tune" stuff on guitarr for his fans. Repetitive or not.
But who knows, maybe it´s only for the privileged
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM
bas_I_am
vision

I agree andrea, karl is an incredible guitar player.

I would love for his playing to be featured more in uw proper.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM
cdave2
dancin' fool

One of my favorite UW moments was the Chicago 2002 show where the computers kept crashing and Karl improvised on guitar. Who knows, if they decide to showcase more of their ambient/experimental side next time around, we may get to hear more of it.

Maybe Karl or UW should look into performances at art museums a la Kraftwerk.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable and informative interview. Thanks for posting it!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

sadly, i think edgelands is supposed to be the project to scratch that itch. Dont get me wrong, I rather dig on edgelands, but it's not underworld. Id LOVE to see rick and karl doing their thing to a slower bpm.

Last edited by jetpig; 06-15-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:52 PM
scary man
Sci-Fi Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
http://www.magneticmag.com/2013/04/u...e-are-you-now/

In this interview Karl says of playing guitar with UW, "And when it comes to playing live of course, we’ve tried me playing lots of live guitar. But it’s too live. It’s too different all the time. It’s too human. The kind of music we play requires the sounds to be repetitive in a way we find beautiful and always sound more like the record that we find beautiful. So I never get to play much guitar on stage."

It had me thinking about times I can think of him playing guitar and TMO of course comes to mind, but it's the glam buckets that really stick out as situations where it's REALLY worked. It's a tad dissapointing they don't find ways to work it in. By that same token, of the two live glam buckets i've listened to, one doesn't get mixed out of, and the other has an awkward transition into a TMO.

Kinda rambly, but thoughts?
In the early gigs (Hyde/Smith?Emerson) he played guitar a whole lot more. But, the shows were far less structured back then. It was much more of a jam. Tunes didn't start and stop. Everything was in the mix. He'd pick up his guitar or harmonica and just freestyle it.