Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
mark3
pants

Drift Ep. 2, Part 6 - Appleshine Continuum
So, part 6 is up - I don't know where part 5 is ( could be a typo of course )

Underworld & The Necks - Appleshine Continuum
- and it is 47 minutes long!! ( 2 minutes longer than Barbara, Barbara ).

Episode 2 of Underworld’s DRIFT Series concludes with Appleshine Continuum - one of a series of collaborations between Underworld and Australian experimental trio The Necks. Recorded in a single take during two days of improvising at AIR Studios, Appleshine Continuum takes Underworld’s original version of Appleshine (Ep.2 Pt.1) as its starting point and quickly takes flight, only returning to Earth’s atmosphere after 47 mesmerising minutes...

“Karl had played with The Necks several times before … I’d never met them but was struck by his energy whenever he talked about those experiences….I wondered what we might make as Underworld together with them….I really wanted to have that energy inside our Drift series... start a journey together with no fixed destination…

We turned up at AIR studios in London with it’s glorious recording spaces, priceless microphones and recording equipment … two brilliant women driving the control room…Kirsty Whalley engineering and mixing assisted by Fi Cruickshank..…Simon Taylor and Rob (Baker Ashton) were there with their cameras, documenting everything… our SSL 500 desk, CD players, pedals, synthesisers and guitars...coaxing them to connect and behave themselves so we could improvise with Tony, Chris and Lloyd … who turned up with just a bag of drumsticks and some cogs.

The Necks were lovely and extraordinary men… Playing music together with them, time would just… I don’t know.. it just kind of disappeared really. And honestly, I’d do it all over again at the drop of a hat. Tomorrow."
Rick

“Sometimes they terrify me on stage... I get this thrill like they’re destroying their instruments right in front of me. Their personalities off-stage couldn’t be more different. They’re remarkably open and welcoming and generous, and they still seem to be full of wonder when you talk to them. They all have an ease and.. an ability to just enter into what’s going on, and not be judgmental.” Karl

Last edited by TheBang; 02-28-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: updated with release info
Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 AM
spacejunk
vision, come on...

Re: Drift Ep. 2, Part 6 - Appleshine Continuum
Noice!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 PM
negative1

very interesting flow to the track.

also, the vocals cutting in and out.

great to hear the longer jam sessions.

later
Old 02-20-2019, 01:05 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Sure; why not?
Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Well, hmm... Was expecting part 5 tomorrow and got part 6 today. Did we travel 8days into the future without realizing it?

Since nothing yet on uwlive, Facebook or email announcing this, I guess we'll just enjoy being a day (or more) early.

Kind of amazing that this extended jam sustains interest for 47 minutes. Great vibe with the beats and vocal up front. I'm not super fond of the Hammond (?) organ noodling in the middle, but the bass and arpeggiated piano interplay in the last third is tasty.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

they must've accidentally made the video unlisted to their channel... i can recall Molehill being premiered early on accident and it was soon taken down, so maybe they'll take this down and give us part 5 tomorrow?

anyhow, mistakes aside, it's great to know that (possibly) the episodes aren't going to be condensed just to five parts. but a 47 minute track... WOW! this'll be a fruitful listen
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM
negative1

the last third of this is incredible.

this is the underworld that i've always liked,
complex, layered, and lots of depth.

where has this been hiding for the last decade or longer.

later
Old 02-21-2019, 02:48 AM
taotsu
taotsu

This is epic! Walking the streets of Yokohama at night with this soundtrack. Epic
Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 AM
taotsu
taotsu

I just hope there will be a download link in 2 weeks.

I am also utterly fascinated that both episodes possibly end on a rework of the first released track, done by the necks.

Last edited by taotsu; 02-21-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:04 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

gave it a full listen earlier today - it's astonishing to think this kind of improvisation piece is actually...a thing, but i guess that's the beauty of DRIFT. spontaneous creativity out of the blue, which is definitely what this track is. 47 and a half minutes of Underworld at their most creative in years, what a thrill! that ending piano section is particularly quite soothing