Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Tea Party
So there are some recent so-called "Tea Party" developments that I think warrants it's own thread.

First, Ian mentioned in the healthcare thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
deck - i'm wondering if it's another case of the anti-obama mob being comparatively small, but very vocal, whilst the supportive majority are happy to let their politicians do their will...
A new poll exploring the idea of Tea Party candidates entering election races under a third party has shown sort of mixed results on that point:

"According to the poll, Americans say they'll vote for a Republican over a Democrat in the November elections by a 44 to 39 percent margin.

But the addition of a Tea Party candidate to the ballot changes the dynamic: The Republican candidate drops dramatically to 25 percent and the Democrat only slightly to 36 percent, while 15 percent would back the Tea Party candidate."

That being said, I'm very curious how willing Republicans will be to absorb Tea Party constituents in light of some recent developments, like the incidents over the weekend of extreme racial and anti-gay slurs being hurled by Tea Partiers at Democratic Congressmen headed to vote on healthcare reform, or today's news of a Democratic Congressman's brother's propane gas tank line being slashed just days after his address was posted online by Tea Party activists.

I assume they'll take the votes regardless of the fact that they'll be coming from bigots with murderous intent, but how long can the Republican party hope to remain relevant or even viable if these people become their most vocal members?

Ultimately, it's amazing to me that they have the support they do right now given the brazen nature of their machiavellian tactics in recent years. As a registered independent, I'm starting to feel ashamed of my fellow registered independents for apparently leaning in their favor these days. I can only hope that the recent Democratic victory on healthcare reform starts the pendulum swing back towards the center, especially where moderate Republicans are concerned.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: Tea Party
it does just seem to point more at a fracturing of The Right - Tea Baggers seem intent more on dragging the GOP rightwards, setting themselves up as true conservatives etc etc. fox news seem on board, yet amazingly fox isn't conservative enough if what i read on the malkin comments sections! the tea party seems to be embarking on a loony conservative pissing contest that's only going to split votes. we saw a similar thing here after labour first won - conservatives unable to agree on whether to go more centre, or more right in order to appear a. different and b. attractive.

can you have a 'fellow independent', btw?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
can you have a 'fellow independent', btw?
I know. It's kind of like talking about "atheistic beliefs", right?

And incidentally, that example I gave of the cut propane gas line is apparently only one of many examples of the Tea Party starting to ratchet up their brilliant strategy of violence. According to House Democrat Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said today that there have been more than 10 Democratic Congress-people threatened since the vote. Makes me pretty uneasy. The lack of foresight on the part of ass-hats like Limbaugh, Beck and the like regarding the consequences of their hate-sermons is staggering. Or is this just what they wanted to happen? I don't know any more....

Last edited by Sean; 03-24-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
cacophony
disquietude

more tea party style thought:

sarah palin published a map of the homes of congressmen who voted in favor of health care reform and used crosshairs icon to mark the locations.

anyone who doesn't think sarah palin is an ann coulter clone is fooling themselves.

and speaking of the fracturing GOP, here's my favorite thing i've read all day: an open letter to conservatives.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
anyone who doesn't think sarah palin is an ann coulter clone is fooling themselves.
yeah; just toning down the rhetoric to appear electable but i think you're giving palin too much credit - coulter can at least use and understand long words...

but anyway, guys - bill o'really says that smears and hate are tools of the 'far left' only, so sean and cacophony, you're just wrong. mmm'ok?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

it ok, conservative america - this just in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn beck
Our country is in real trouble. Radicals are poking and prodding. Get on your knees. Beg for forgiveness for our arrogance and for how we've disregarded our freedoms.

I have said on the program before: Expect miracles in our lifetimes. I'm telling you, you will see them. There are tough times ahead, but the only weapon in our arsenal we need is God. Beg him for guidance and help. He will take care of everything else.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

bicker bicker bicker
Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
and speaking of the fracturing GOP, here's my favorite thing i've read all day: an open letter to conservatives.
Can't even access the link due to "unprecedented traffic". That's gotta be a good thing.

I've found cut and pasted bits of the article though, and it's all stuff that needs to be said. Can't wait to see it with all the links to proof of this stuff having happened.

EDIT - Just read the article and a good handful of the linked sources. Holy crap! Well done Russell King!

Last edited by Sean; 03-26-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

So Ms. Palin is in my state of Arizona this weekend. Today in southern Arizona in Tucson, and this Sunday she'll be at Dobson High School in Mesa (largest suburb of Phoenix). Both are campaign rallies for Senator McCain's re-election bid.

Today, she seemed to put some of the blame on the threats on Democrat offices on the media and Democrats themselves. Kind of Karl Rove-ing the situation. And then she did mention that the GOP is the party of hell no. That worked out great before.

I bet she can see Mexico from her hotel room, too.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...nt.php?ref=fpb

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_515026.html

Jason.